All-Star Ruby Slipper Full Up Grip

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This video helped me so much. Worked in one practice to prep, extension and some even hit full up liberties with this grip (Even though the grip is slightly different to one leg).
That's what I was wondering: How do you hit one legged stunts with this grip?

I'm also asking myself, how it makes transitions to 1.5 and double ups easier, when the bases already have to rotate for just a full up. I keep getting stuck in my own head, while trying to imagine it. Any hints?

I'm also asking myself, how it makes transitions to 1.5 and double ups easier, when the bases already have to rotate for just a full up. I keep getting stuck in my own head, while trying to imagine it. Any hints?
i think you'd do the exact same grip, flyer faces the back, group just has to turn 3/4 instead on 1/4. for 1 1.2 up at least :)

So we tried this grip yesterday and after initial scepticism from the girls, they actually got it really fast. All three groups were hitting full ups to prep on their 3rd try and two groups managed extensions. I like it!
When we tried the crossed feet grip, it didn't go over as well. ;)

For 1.5 and double ups, I'll have to see. I'd imagine all the walking underneath to be quite difficult, even if it means, you can keep more hands on the flyer.
So far, I've really liked the 1.5 up technique were the flyer has her feet in a similar position and the mainbase also faces the back and holds the flyer's right foot in a full up grip. That way, the side base doesn't have to move at all and the rest only walk 1/4.
But of course it means everyone but the main base has to let go of the foot and catch. I'm really curious to find out, which way works better. :)
Personally, I learned 1.5 ups with regular old school full up technique and bases having to to turn 1/2. That was stressful. ^^

@Jule - The grip for 1.5/double up is a bit different, though I don't have a video/explanation that I can actually give you. I only know my part and it is different from the full up. (not much, but enough that you'd need to see it to make it work I think). I also lose more of my grip on the 1.5 up and have to catch my part of the feet on the way around.

@Jule - The grip for 1.5/double up is a bit different, though I don't have a video/explanation that I can actually give you. I only know my part and it is different from the full up. (not much, but enough that you'd need to see it to make it work I think). I also lose more of my grip on the 1.5 up and have to catch my part of the feet on the way around.

Thanks! This is kind of how I teach it at the moment (except I usually have the backspot grab underneath the same foot the side base throws in order to get more height):

You can see it here (first stunt of the video):

I'm fascinated by all these possibilities, I must say. I was very sceptical at first but seeing it work... I like it! :)

Did you find out how to hit the one legged stunts with the ruby slipper grip?

Excited to try the ruby slipper grip with one of my teams for the first time today! I should have done it earlier though but we'll see how it goes.. :D

Did you find out how to hit the one legged stunts with the ruby slipper grip?

Not really, yet. :/ So far, they're hitting extensions/block and then the side switches grip. But I also haven't had time to focus a lot on it, sadly, as we've had to prepare a couple of games and events.

Not really, yet. :/ So far, they're hitting extensions/block and then the side switches grip. But I also haven't had time to focus a lot on it, sadly, as we've had to prepare a couple of games and events.
Okay, that makes sense! Maybe we should start by doing that and then wait for someone to let us know if there's another grip to hitting one legged stunt :rolleyes: I've been trying to do some re-search but I haven't figured it out yet. If I do, I'll let you know!

Last edited:
My gym always did full ups the traditional way but recently we switched to a cross legged version where one base will have the fronts of the flyer's feet and the other base has the backs of the feet. I found it a bit easier but I was just wondering if my team are the only ones that do this?

My gym always did full ups the traditional way but recently we switched to a cross legged version where one base will have the fronts of the flyer's feet and the other base has the backs of the feet. I found it a bit easier but I was just wondering if my team are the only ones that do this?

We do the crossed legged version with all of our teams except one. We recently tried the ruby slipper with that one team, and it's so much easier :rolleyes: At first it may look complicated but once you get it.... -> :D

Back