High School Seniors On Jv?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Seniors should be put on JV?

• Total voters
Yeah I did talk to her, and she said the squad placements were based on how I was scored at tryouts. She said I scored very low in motion technique. Im guessing that motion technique had a huge weight on all of the scores then. It just upsets me that girls my age without a tuck made varsity, and even girls younger then me. I don't know... Im not saying she's wrong, its just frustrating, you know?
Move to NY I'll put you on my team in a heart beat haha I need more tumblers badly all of my good ones just graduated

Move to NY I'll put you on my team in a heart beat haha I need more tumblers badly all of my good ones just graduated
Aww thanks :) that made me smile haha. I would understand if my team had like 10 fulls, but really, we never had fulls on our program until last year, and this year theres not even one, but there are three that are close. Thanks everyone for the support!

Yeah I did talk to her, and she said the squad placements were based on how I was scored at tryouts. She said I scored very low in motion technique. Im guessing that motion technique had a huge weight on all of the scores then. It just upsets me that girls my age without a tuck made varsity, and even girls younger then me. I don't know... Im not saying she's wrong, its just frustrating, you know?

oh trust me i know, im going to throw this out there and im sure not everyone is going to like it but school sports is all about politics, it like oh you can't put the Susie on JV her mom is the president of the booster club ect.. and im sure their are ''honest'' teams out there, but i shouldn't just say school sports because i know ALOT of crooked all star teams too.

I think seniors can be on jv. Like what if a girl just decided that she wanted to try cheerleading her senior year but she did not have the requirments to make varsity. Instead of cutting her she should be on JV. I think its dumb that they are going to put you on JV just because of bad motions, those can be fixed so easily!!! You should be on varsity:)

i think that if you have a freshman that has a standing tuck and a senior that cant do a cartwheel, theeennnn the senior should be on JV and the freshman on varsity. It's all based on skill.

I know last year my daughters High School Squad had a Sr on the squad who had no hopes of ever making the mat for Varsity, but she had cheered JV for the past 4yrs (our county 8th graders can cheer jv) and she was an amazing leader and great motivator. I don't know if I would want my kid to do it because basically her parents paid for her to play "varsity" dress up, but none of the girls were upset that she was on Varsity. Her High School also has no problem putting Freshman on Varsity if they have the skills. I think it's silly for schools to only look at grade level to determine what team a child should make. I like the way my daughters school does things, and obviously it's working well being that they are the current 4peat State Champions in the 4a division which is extremely tough. Last year they outscored every other State Champ by 18 points from 1a to 5a AND Coed! :)

I think that you should earn your spot on whatever team you make, regardless if it's your last year or not. If you dont score high enough, tough luck. A person at tryouts told me that they thought I was going to make varsity as a freshman, after tryouts she told me that I didnt deserve my spot, I was the only freshman that made JV this year and she hadnt made anything. She also told me that I shouldnt be proud of myself bc last year "everybody" made JV as freshman (only two did, twin sisters). I hadnt bragged at all, if people asked I told them. I earned my spot just like anybody else and she made me believe that you should earn what you earn without shortcuts, special treatment, or something handed to you on a silver platter.

No, I don't think seniors should be put on JV. Only because of the fact it's downgrading! You wouldn't want to be put on a lower team just because of a tumbling skill. I think either seniors should be good enough to be put on varsity or they shouldn't be able to cheer at all.
Putting seniors on JV isn't just hard for the seniors but, also hard for other classes.
No freshman wants a bad senior on their team holding the team back.
I think JV and Varsity should be based on the class your in. (Ex. Freshman ,&& Sophomores on JV and Juniors ,&& Seniors on Varsity). With coaches doing the teams like that, it makes JV just as good as Varsity. (Now its just about which team is more dedicated) lol
Just In My Opinion! :D

I've never heard of a senior on JV. I don't think it's even allowed in my county and the 2 that surround me. If they didn't meet the skill then they didn't make the team. Or they'd make an exception because they were phenomenel (sp?) at other things.

Here is what I do as a coach... If I have a senior trying out for my team for the first time (has never cheered for me before), I will only put her on Varsity if she has skills that match my other returning cheerleaders. If she doesn't have the skills I'm looking for on Varsity, I'm not going to put her on JV because she's taking a slot away from a younger girl who also has zero-experience. I would have a longer time to work with that 9th grader who will return to my program in the future than a senior who would be done at the end of the year. Not worth the time.

However, if it's a senior who has cheered for me before but still doesn't match the level of other seniors trying out, I would put her on JV. I know some states don't allow that, even for sideline cheering. In that case, I would put her on Varsity for sideline and not put her on the competition team.

What Im seeing most people saying is "seniors should only be on JV if their skills dont qualify." I completly agree. I just don't really agree with how SOME seniors without tumbling, or those that JUST STARTED TRYING to get tumbling, made varsity, while others with tumbling did not, and were given bogus excuses for why they were put on JV. I'm sorry, but the reason of motion technique is obviously a scapegoat.

Oh some other facts, I have never been on varsity, I still came to try out every year (all four) and only made it two years (sophomore, and senior), last year I had a BHS but it was crooked. Last year I also only had a roundoff STOP BHS because I had a block. This year I have my standing tuck and roundoff BHS tuck, and I throw layouts but don't always land them. There is no right or wrong answer to what team I should be placed on, but me as a senior, what do you think? Would you hold me on JV for motion technique? (I just want to see what people think, I am not in any way saying my coaches are wrong by doing so).

Are you on pressure or infinity.. Because if you are on either of those teams, there is no way in heck you should be on a JV team!!

Back