OT Sororities

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Dec 4, 2011
So it's been mentioned, but I didn't see any threads created for this! I know there are tons of college threads, but school starts fairly soon so I really want to hear as many opinions about sororities as I can!
I'm not entirely sure if I will have time my freshman year, but I'm considering joining one. I'm also thinking about waiting until sophomore year to rush, just so I can get used to college life, see if I could handle it, and find out if it's something I really want to be apart of.

I just want to hear some honest opinions on your experiences! Everyone I've talked is trying to get me to join so of course they're telling me it's great and wonderful. But how much time do you put into it? Is it hard to juggle school, a job, and a sorority? Is it really clique-y?

Hey! I created a thread a while back trying to see how many people on the boards were involved in Greek life and a good amount of us are! I joined a sorority this past year as a freshman and will be going into my sophomore year involved with it. I honestly can say I made the best decision joining one. I went to a school about 12 hours from where I live and to have the opportunity to have a great group of friends and things to do and a place to belong really made the transition into school that much better. Don't listen to the stereotypes because 99% of them arent' true at all! My sisters are so caring and so sweet and I would do anything for them. Of course there are moments, when you get 200 girls together in one room, someone is bound to not get along with someone but I have found that there is rarely catty fighting and everything is handled in a very mature manner. It is overwhelming at first, trying to balance everything, but it isnt TOO demanding and it helps you find a very healthy balance. All schools are different but national policies state that all sorority members have to maintain a certain GPA ( determined by each organization and chapter) so it really keeps your focused on school and doing well. There are always older girls who have taken the classes before and can help you with studying, work, etc. You get to go to some really fun mixers and swaps and meet a ton of new people. I highly advise you to join one, especially if your unsure of how you will transition into college! If you have ANY other questions feel free to ask, I would love to help you!

It's typically more difficult to rush sophomore year vs. freshmen year. The atmosphere of each chapter and each sorority house are always different, so it's hard to say whether your university's programs will be clique-y or not. Some sororities can be great and close knit, where as others are more of a "pay dues and you get the shirts" sort of thing. Each house will have a different price for dues depending on how many events they put on during the semester and how many outfits/shirts you'll need, etc. as well. As far as grades go, most will make you put in a certain amount of study hours per week and get on to you if your grades aren't good because the chapter will get in trouble if their overall GPA is bad. Sororities are a great way to get involved in the beginning, but if its not your thing there are plenty of other ways to get involved on campus also so no worries. I'd ask yourself:
-What percentage of the university does Greek life? (over 50% percentage = it's a large part of campus activities/campus life )
-Do you enjoy hanging out with LOTS of girls at one time and having required events to be at/planned events to go to?(some people love always having something to do, others get driven crazy by it)
-Can you financially pay for it?
-Do you need a new group of friends right away, or can you wait until classes/other organizations start up during the first few weeks of school? (if you are further away from home, you may be looking for more friends earlier)
-Would you enjoy it? (having social events/crush parties to be at, retreats, philanthropy, events for non-shy/outgoing people overall)

I know lots of cheerleaders that love their sorority because it's similar in many ways to cheer (a group of girls that have traditions and bonding, team colors, cute shirts/accessories etc., lots of girly knick-knacks like you'd get for team gifts at competition and so on). I also know girls that joined and ended up being more apathetic about their sorority because they realized that being around that many girls and drama all the time was ridiculous to them, and they just joined to be "in" the sorority but not necessarily to do all of the participation required. For some people it's just not their thing.

Either way, I suggest joining some sort of club or organization at your university to be involved your freshmen year, whether it's a sorority or the knitting club;). College is about not only learning in class, but also the experiences and leadership learning outside the classroom.

I didn't rush my freshman year-I actually waited until junior year of college and I regret that I did. I thought there was no point, I would make friends on my own, and I wanted my own life. Once I joined, it was so much different than what I thought! The girls are great, and you will find where you belong in the rush process. I thought I wanted to be in one sorority during rush, ended up liking a few, and found the one I called home by the end and I'm SO thankful I ended up there. The people I met and friends I made are priceless.
Another thing to note though-you will get out what you put in. There were plenty of girls that were not super involved and at every event, and some that were. You will find a group within the group, and you can pick and choose what you want to do. It's a great way to meet people, and you will become close to a big group of people. There is always something to do, or someone to call if needed. I recommend it to anyone.

Thank you all SO much! This has helped a ton. I think I can work money out, time is just the only think I'm worried about. Two girls I cheered with are in two different sororities where I'm going so I'll have to talk to them about specifics!
But not every event and formal was mandatory for you guys? I don't want to have to choose too often between skipping an event and feeling guilty or going to work.
And also, if anyone lived in a sorority house what was it like?

When I graduated high school, I though cheerleading was completely over for me, during the first college semester I felt I was missing out on something without having a group of girls to relate closely to like I did in cheer. The school I went to did recruitment in the spring. The girl friends that I made were totally against sororities and made me really nervous about going through recruitment. So I did not do it, however when I saw other girls on my hall (we weren't close) so excited about joining their sorority, I immediately regretted it. I decided at that moment that I would be going through the process the next year. However I decided that the school I went to was just not for me and transfered.
When I got to my new school the first thing I did was sign up for sorority recruitment, and it has been on of the BEST things I have ever done. You get what you put into it, but I have met some of the most wonderful girls that I will forever call my friends. It can be hard to juggle school and a sorority, but education comes first and you have to do be doing well in school to stay in the sorority. Your sisters will be a huge help, I know we have a person who is our Academic Chair who is willing to help anyone if they are struggling. Also I have been able to have many classes with my sisters which has led to study groups with them too. ALso, in almost every class I am in, there is someone greek. It is easy to find an instant connection with them and usually end up becoming friends with guys/girls outside of my own sorority.
Luckily for me it turned out that I was not done with cheerleading, one of my roommates was a cheerleader and begged me to try out just one last time for her senior year and I ended up making it. It became a little harder to still juggle everything that I wanted to do, but I also think it makes me understand how important everything in my life is. My sorority has been wonderful working around my hectic cheerleading schedule and with my friends who have work and school.
If you are unsure about sororities, go to your colleges website and search greek life, I'm sure there will be lots of great information regarding your school. Also, if you search on google there are many websites that can be helpful in deciding and giving correct information about sororities, not just the stereotypes.
Like others have said, if you want to ask anything specific, do not hesitate to ask me :)

I waited till Spring Semester my Freshman year. This was helpful because I took the fall to "observe" the chapters on campus and get a true feel for them, rather than going through rush (now called recruitment) in the first week of classes. I got a good feel for each chapter's personality (which was the "party girls", which was the "skanky girls" and which was the "girls you'd take home to mom"). Then I went through rush in the Winter and ended up in a great chapter with women who I'm proud to say are still my sisters to this day.
One of them just lost her husband in a car accident a few weeks ago. We rallied, from all over the country to donate money to her to help her (and her 3 young children) out. Even women who weren't in the same years as her (younger or older) chipped in. That's sisterhood.
Another thing to keep in mind is that if your friend from home is a Chi O at her school, and you've met the girls and think they're great and you'd fit in-the Chi O's on your campus may be VERY different.

I'm not in a sorority and never plan on joining one but I've lived with multiple sorority members and they seem to like it. Of course the rushing wasn't fun for them (or for me to watch them go through it all) but overall they really enjoy it. At my school, they are very clique-y, but its a small college town with nothing to do but party, so... meh. I really want to "warn" you about recognized/unrecognized organizations though. My school's unrecognized sororities (and frats) have a... well, less than stellar reputation. (There was even a documentary made about one of the frats at my school a long time ago called "Frat House". Super crazy.) Be very careful about which one you decide to join. All of my room mates that have been in a sorority are all in unrecognized ones and I hear some of their horror stories and cringe. Last semester, we had to go pick one of them up in the hospital very early Sunday morning because her sisters decided to leave her alone at a frat house one night. Coincidentally, it was the same frat from the documentary... It was a very scary night for her and a very scary morning for us. Please, just make sure you really check out the ones you are interested in and find the one that's the best for you.

Thank you all SO much! This has helped a ton. I think I can work money out, time is just the only think I'm worried about. Two girls I cheered with are in two different sororities where I'm going so I'll have to talk to them about specifics!
But not every event and formal was mandatory for you guys? I don't want to have to choose too often between skipping an event and feeling guilty or going to work.
And also, if anyone lived in a sorority house what was it like?
There were only a few "mandatory" events that we as freshman had to go to. And as you get older, the less mandatory events they give you! You should never feel guilty about skipping. Some schools and chapters are more strict than others but for mine it was kind of a its "mandatory" but if you had an excuse (sick, test the next day, etc.) you didnt have to go. As far as the sorority houses go, it can be more expensive to live there and thats one top of what you have to pay for dues. I am living on the "sorority dorm" next year ( we dont have houses we have dorm floors :/) and it is going to be much more expensive BUT it is going to be a ton of fun. From what I heard last year the girls always had hall dinners, got ready together to go out, and you have 30-50 new closets to chose from and someone will ALWAYS want to go to dinner. Its basically the same as living in the dorm but with your best friends. I promise you wont regret rushing!

One of my good friends was a Gamma Phi at my university. Her sorority had a few mandatory events throughout the semester (typically week before and week of rush, big/little reveal, initiation night, and the big philanthropy event they did). Other things were "suggested" to go to such as retreat and weekly meetings, but if you had another reasonable obligation that you told them in advance (tutoring, job, late class), you were exempt but filled out paperwork saying why you couldn't go. The rest of the events such as crush parties, theme nights, etc. weren't required but you had to have so many "points" by the end of the semester, which were gained by going to events, doing extra work for events/the chapter, and such. Some of the other houses on campus didn't run the same way though.

I am living on the "sorority dorm" next year ( we dont have houses we have dorm floors :/) and it is going to be much more expensive BUT it is going to be a ton of fun. From what I heard last year the girls always had hall dinners, got ready together to go out, and you have 30-50 new closets to chose from and someone will ALWAYS want to go to dinner. Its basically the same as living in the dorm but with your best friends. I promise you wont regret rushing!

I lived in the house for three years and I have so many great memories. There was always someone to hang out with. Every Thursday there was a group to go out with and I remember going up and down the hall looking for something to wear - including some of my own stuff LOL. Also nothing compared to having two home-cooked meals a day, and always someone willing to go for a run with you to work it off (or lay around and watch Beverly Hills 90210 - yep I'm old). We had two girls at the time that cheered for UK in my sorority and somehow they managed to do school, sorority and a National Champion college team.

I can say my sorority gave me great leadership training and an instant connection with future employers - esp. if they were also Greek. Being on both sides of recruitment taught me how to talk to anyone on the fly - regardless of whether or not we had anything in common. Being a sorority VP taught me how to speak in front of people as well as how to deal with multiple personality types. This has been more valuable to me than most of the things I learned in school that I have since forgotten. I say go for it! If it's not for you that decision can be made later. :) Good luck!

I went through rush (recruitment) my sophomore year, then was actually a Rush Counselor my Junior year. I can tell you that it is easier to go through recruitment as a Freshman due to bid matching procedures, etc. However, if you're in doubt about greek life at all, I'd say wait until spring recruitment your freshman year. Joining a sorority helped me a lot in college, and I'm happy to say I still have several sisters that I keep in contact with on a regular basis. Beyond college, there are benefits to being in a sorority also. I have found it an asset for networking and career advancement later in life. Another advantage that others have mentioned also is the support of your sisters during college. One thing we did was form a "Safe Sisters" program in which we served as designated drivers for one another. We also basically watched out for each other in many cases...safety in numbers...that kind of thing. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I'd be glad to help!

I was iffy about being in a sorority, and went through recruitment and almost dropped out before the last round, but stuck with it and am so glad I did. I love my pledge class and my entire chapter. You really meet SO many people you probably wouldn't have otherwise and get involved in lots of great activities and causes. Plus, it gives you something to do on the weekends (at my school, Friday nights pretty much revolve around Greek life). It's a great way to find someone to study with, someone to ask about classes they've taken in the past that you're considering, someone to eat lunch with, someone to live with, etc etc etc. And like someone said above, we have what's called SWAT which are girls who are designated sober drivers and there to take care of anyone who might have had too much to drink. What I've found, too, is that - at least on my campus - a lot of people who are Greek are pretty physically active, so you'll have lots of people to run, hit the gym or something like that with. Beyond that, a lot of chapters have sort of support systems where you can go and talk to anyone and have them help out. It's amazing to have a family away from your family, and your chapter will definitely become that if you decide to join. I really can't say enough good things about it...I love my sorority :D I feel about my pledge class about how I used to feel about my cheer team. You're proud of everyone, you love most of the people, and even the ones you don't you still support and they still support you. It's really something special.

Further, beyond your college years, you'll probably still be in touch with some of your sisters and you'll have excellent networking opportunities. You'll have a special connection with others in your organization even if they weren't in your chapter.

In terms of events, we have almost no mandatory events (probably ~3 a semester?), but when we do, it's for something very important like initiation, recruitment, etc. We meet once a week for "chapter", which is only an hour long and that's where you hear what's going on that week and get to hear about interesting opportunities on campus. I skipped a lot of events (and so did a lot of other girls in my chapter) because of academics or other commitments and everyone understands and doesn't pressure you to choose otherwise. There are definitely girls who attend every single mixer, formal, group lunch, etc. and then there are those who choose not to attend, and everyone's participation is accepted. Of course, that is just the nature of my chapter.

I would definitely suggest going through recruitment. I don't know anyone who has regretted it :)

I started college knowing I was going to go through recruitment. My sister was in a sorority and she told me how much fun she had, how her sisters were always there for her even after graduating, etc. My school wasn't too big on greek life so it wasn't super exclusive and I felt comfortable enough to put myself out there. I loved my sorority and didn't really find that it took up too much of my time. A lot of girls would have study sessions at the house so that killed two birds with one stone. The only mandatory events we had were chapter and retreats but if you had an excuse like you had a night class at the same time then you could miss it. Sadly, I transferred schools to be closer to home and my organization doesn't have a chapter at my new school :(. There are a lot of resources available to you to help balance school and social life. We had a study room, older sisters would offer tutoring and we had a list of classes and professors that sisters had so you could ask them about their experience and some of them even saved their study material. I didn't live in the house but a lot of girls in my pledge class did so I was always over. Our greek village was built by the school to kind of mirror the dorms so you had cinderblock walls and twin XL beds (blechhh:confused: ) but you can paint it and make it look cute and cozy. I loved going to the house to do free laundry haha. I would definitely recommend going through recruitment!

Back