Spike/needle

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think some is cause by natural flexibility but not all. This is what I do...I do over splits (left leg), then when I'm in my over split, I put my head back trying to touch behind my knee. It really works:)

My 8 year old daughter has a nice scorpian, but she had to work very hard to get it. She is not naturally flexible. Now she wants to get her spike/needle down. She is doing the recommended stretches daily, but not seeing much progress. Are spike/needles possible for all girls if they work hard & stretch daily or do you need a certain amount of natural flexibility to get these skills?

Thanks
I have suchhhh an unflexible back its unreal! i have never been a naturally flexible person but i wanted to be a flyer so badly that i stretched all the time and now have some nice stretches, still not the best but i will get there!

I was so unflexible i struggled to even do a bridge/backbend!!! i dont know which stretches in-particular i did as nobody ever told me how to stretch my back - i just did whatever i felt like and just played around and i got a really good overstretch spike! i still cant do a very good bridge so i dont think that helps much but splitssssss!!!!!! lots of oversplits!!!!! i think thats the reason i can do my spike because my back still is not very flexible but somehow it works :)

All the best and hope she gets it soon :)
p.s i dont know if you will be able to see but this is a pic of my spike! there is some of my overstretches there too!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...04815684.32043.100000256977822&type=1&theater

everyone i know that can do this has had more natural flexibility. I've never seen a girl work from no flexibility to get a flat back scorp.

However some stretching is required. Most people i know that can do it have had amazing back flexibility and just had to stretch a tiny bit more to get there.

i wish i had good back flexibility! haha my first ever attempt of a scorp was just non existant but i now have an overtsreched spike! :) <- its still a struggle sometimes! lol

everyone i know that can do this has had more natural flexibility. I've never seen a girl work from no flexibility to get a flat back scorp.

However some stretching is required. Most people i know that can do it have had amazing back flexibility and just had to stretch a tiny bit more to get there.
i agree but i had to work hard for my needle and i know for a fact it took more than a little more stretching. i am kinda flexible but i don't have that lean look that most flexible flyers have, heck im not even a flyer i just have my needle :?

I have suchhhh an unflexible back its unreal! i have never been a naturally flexible person but i wanted to be a flyer so badly that i stretched all the time and now have some nice stretches, still not the best but i will get there!

I was so unflexible i struggled to even do a bridge/backbend!!! i dont know which stretches in-particular i did as nobody ever told me how to stretch my back - i just did whatever i felt like and just played around and i got a really good overstretch spike! i still cant do a very good bridge so i dont think that helps much but splitssssss!!!!!! lots of oversplits!!!!! i think thats the reason i can do my spike because my back still is not very flexible but somehow it works :)

p.s i dont know if you will be able to see but this is a pic of my spike! there is some of my overstretches there too!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...04815684.32043.100000256977822&type=1&theater
how did you get the other ones to be so hhyper extended?

Aimee Starfish' said:

I was so unflexible i struggled to even do a bridge/backbend!!!

Much of the flexibility for a good bridge comes from your shoulders, not your back. Try stretching your shoulders to improve your bridge.

So i have a question. I have perfect right and left spilts, i want my right needle/spike by the end of the summer. can anyone attempt to explain why i can barely pull a scorp, thanks!

So i have a question. I have perfect right and left spilts, i want my right needle/spike by the end of the summer. can anyone attempt to explain why i can barely pull a scorp, thanks!

Back leg (scorpion leg) needs to work hip flexor and quad flexibility....bottom leg needs to work hamstring. Ensure you work both sides both ways for flexibility. Also, if you can have your coach perform PNF stretching on your legs, it will give you the most gain.

how did you get the other ones to be so hhyper extended?
I dont really know to be honest, i just did lots of splits and if i pull my spike i would lean forwards to really stretch it then keeping hold return to upright and pull more if that makes sense?! most of mine comes from the leg flexibility as my back flexibility is rubbish!!

Back leg (scorpion leg) needs to work hip flexor and quad flexibility....bottom leg needs to work hamstring. Ensure you work both sides both ways for flexibility. Also, if you can have your coach perform PNF stretching on your legs, it will give you the most gain.

Sorry, what is PNF?

Sorry, what is PNF?
(proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation) =PNF Just a fancy word for stretch with resistance. Have a coach or team mate push against your leg while you are pushing back....10 counts and release....when you release, and the coach pushes on the the leg, it will go much further than before. BE CAREFUL. these are done slowly, deliberately and with great care. http://youtu.be/4GWlJMSAlu4

(proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation) =PNF Just a fancy word for stretch with resistance. Have a coach or team mate push against your leg while you are pushing back....10 counts and release....when you release, and the coach pushes on the the leg, it will go much further than before. BE CAREFUL. these are done slowly, deliberately and with great care. http://youtu.be/4GWlJMSAlu4

Thanks!

she just has to keep trying and pushing harder for it

What stretches did u do?:) i am so jealous of your spike! and stretches :D they are so gorgeous <3

What stretches did u do?:) i am so jealous of your spike! and stretches :D they are so gorgeous <3
Thank you! in all honesty i dont have a clue..i still can barely do a backbend so i dont think they are neccessarily need but i do have a good overspllit on my right leg. i didnt really do any specific stretches as nobody told me what to do, i just went away and tried to get it myself so the main thing i did was just warm up a bit then do some scales and get them straight then some scorps and just kept doing scorps until my back was a bit sore then id roll it out and do a coupld more and really try and reach my hands as far onto my ankle as i could and hold it..
i thought in my head 'im at competition on the floor in main stunts, hold the scorp for a picture..wait the photographer missed, hold it for another picture, ok now relax he got one!' hahahaha it sounds stupid but it worked for me!

Back