All-Star Sport Or Not

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 14, 2009
Currently having a debate with the hubby on whether the flashiness of cheerleading, meaning uniforms & make up take away from us being recognized as a sport? What do you think?

To some degree, yes. I'm not saying I don't like it, because I love the uniforms and showmanship element to it. That being said, while other sports have uniforms, they don't complain when it's not flashy or 'fierce' enough. They don't have endless conversations about which team has the best competition/match/meet makeup. And most sports (some people consider gymnastics and figure skating on the lesser end of that spectrum) don't worry about people trashing their uniform for showing too much skin (minus gymnasts, figure skaters, and occasionally volleyball shorts. Depends on the uniform..)

I don't think we need to completely get rid of bows or overhaul uniforms entirely (I know girls who wore small pony bows in volleyball/soccer), but you don't see many other activities-considered-sports busting out the metallic spandex/zebra print and rhinestone machine, do you?

To some degree, yes. I'm not saying I don't like it, because I love the uniforms and showmanship element to it. That being said, while other sports have uniforms, they don't complain when it's not flashy or 'fierce' enough. They don't have endless conversations about which team has the best competition/match/meet makeup. And most sports (some people consider gymnastics and figure skating on the lesser end of that spectrum) don't worry about people trashing their uniform for showing too much skin (minus gymnasts, figure skaters, and occasionally volleyball shorts. Depends on the uniform..)

I don't think we need to completely get rid of bows or overhaul uniforms entirely (I know girls who wore small pony bows in volleyball/soccer), but you don't see many other activities-considered-sports busting out the metallic spandex/zebra print and rhinestone machine, do you?

TENNIS! they always get ragged on for what they're wearing.

ahahaha :)

Currently having a debate with the hubby on whether the flashiness of cheerleading, meaning uniforms & make up take away from us being recognized as a sport? What do you think?
I definitely think so. There are some uniforms out there that are just so ridiculous and flashy and showy, and then there are other unis out there that show way too much skin. Curls and big bows (as much as I love bows!) don't help much either, and globs of glitter on eyes and lips? They certainly won't ever help us toward being viewed as a legitimate sport no matter how insanely talented our athletes are.

I love what Serena Williams has done for tennis, although she can take it overboard, but she broke that mold of boring. I don't think that rhythmic gymnastics or ice skating would be the same without a little flash. Even competitive gymnastics has started to break out a little bling now and even a little mascara :)

The University of Oregon's football team has more uniforms than all the gyms in allstar cheer combined. Certain universities have done black outs or white outs or a color outs to intimidate their opponents. The Oakland Raiders, while not being very good, have the most intimidating uniform in the NFL.

We aren't the only sport where uniforms matter.

The colleges that are going the NCATA route have very different uniforms.
Long sleeve tops no bling . . Not even lettered with tackle twill.. A simple silk screen. No Hair bow. No skirts.
Natural hair and makeup. Very athletic looking.

The colleges that are going the NCATA route have very different uniforms.
Long sleeve tops no bling . . Not even lettered with tackle twill.. A simple silk screen. No Hair bow. No skirts.
Natural hair and makeup. Very athletic looking.

Do you think that makes that more of sport than allstar?

Back