All-Star Stealing Choreography?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

SheCheers

Cheer Parent
Mar 6, 2011
Have you ever seen this happen where a team "steals" another teams choreography? Is it common? Has your gym ever said no to putting videos on youtube, etc because the choreography might get stolen?

I have seen teams with exact pyramids ect that I'm sure have been "borrowed" lol. Actual choreography I'm not too sure about. I will admit though, that if I see something I really like in a routine, my brain will start thinking about how I can take it, change it and make it mine. I don't know if that's stealing so much as using it as inspiration.

I have seen teams with exact pyramids ect that I'm sure have been "borrowed" lol. Actual choreography I'm not too sure about. I will admit though, that if I see something I really like in a routine, my brain will start thinking about how I can take it, change it and make it mine. I don't know if that's stealing so much as using it as inspiration.
That's exactly what I do also!! I was so excited to use a section of Orlando Sr 5's pyramid from last year on a sr 4 team. So obviously it couldnt have been the same thing. But i love what i did with it

Yeah. I'm the same way. I may see something and think "that's cool, but I can make it better" lol

In terms of teams not wanting to post things publicly, here's something I found strange. Years ago, I coached college, and I was sending out recruiting letters to a lot of big name programs asking if I could come to their gym and scout/leave college apps. I got almost no responses, and was told that teams were "afraid" college coaches were going to steal their material... even if that were true, what difference would it make to them? You don't even compete with the same rules lol

I find the concept of 'stealing' routines or choreography kinda funny..I mean, stunt sections and jump combos can only be done so many ways, unless you've 'invented' a new basket toss (like the full up toe touch/toe touch full down) then I think it's a little ridiculous. There are little tidbits that maybe you 'could' steal, or a whole dance you could copy, but besides that..I remember the boards were in uproar because some HS team had WCSS' fashionista dance. And I think they took it to Nationals..big no-no. But unless it's a whole 'section' and incredibly distinct, who's gonna REALLY know?

I totally agree!! :)

I remember the boards were in uproar because some HS team had WCSS' fashionista dance. And I think they took it to Nationals..big no-no. But unless it's a whole 'section' and incredibly distinct, who's gonna REALLY know?

That was a different situation.. Jamie did WCSS dance and gave the HS team the same one.
WCSS in 08 also used basically the same pyramid that Top Gun Small Coed had used the year before because Victor had given it to them.

I think thats a tiny bit different then having absolutely no idea it is stolen.

I dont think it is common to "steal" choreography, however a lot of things are "inspired by" other teams choreography.

I think it's hard, because really, there is only so much you can do in each level. If someone comes up with something creative, you better believe it will be used by numerous teams by the end of the year. I think there is a big difference between stealing a routine and having similar stunt sequences.
When it comes to motions and dance, that's ridiculous to have the exact same thing as someone else. But how many different ways can you do stunts in level 3 and max out the scoresheet? Not too many, which is why people argue the lower levels are "boring."

I think it's hard, because really, there is only so much you can do in each level. If someone comes up with something creative, you better believe it will be used by numerous teams by the end of the year. I think there is a big difference between stealing a routine and having similar stunt sequences.
When it comes to motions and dance, that's ridiculous to have the exact same thing as someone else. But how many different ways can you do stunts in level 3 and max out the scoresheet? Not too many, which is why people argue the lower levels are "boring."
Amen. This is also why those creative teams in lower levels always seem to impress everyone!

That was a different situation.. Jamie did WCSS dance and gave the HS team the same one.
WCSS in 08 also used basically the same pyramid that Top Gun Small Coed had used the year before because Victor had given it to them.

I think thats a tiny bit different then having absolutely no idea it is stolen.
Was it another team in Jersey he gave it to? Or maybe I'm mixing up two situations...we've had a couple postings about HS teams using v/os or dances from allstar teams.

In any case, I feel like that's the most common: HS teams using all-star voiceovers/dances. Whether or not they had the knowledge of what they were doing, however, is where the contention lies. You can't really ignore a popular voiceover, especially if it's from a team who does all of their choreo/music in-house.

However, you bring up an interesting point: how do teams feel about that? As a parent, you're paying for what you hope to be 'original', as a team you want something new and exciting: are you bothered when you know it's from a different team the year before? Would you be bothered if a HS team had the EXACT same dance as you or some of your v/os? What about if the choreographer gave it to them? If you knew up front that there was the chance he/she would give the exact same dance to another team, especially that year, would you not choose them?

However, you bring up an interesting point: how do teams feel about that? As a parent, you're paying for what you hope to be 'original', as a team you want something new and exciting: are you bothered when you know it's from a different team the year before? Would you be bothered if a HS team had the EXACT same dance as you or some of your v/os? What about if the choreographer gave it to them? If you knew up front that there was the chance he/she would give the exact same dance to another team, especially that year, would you not choose them?

I can really only comment on the situation that affected my CP's gym, although it's obviously not her specific team. I personally was frustrated with the fact that we, as parents, do pay a choreography fee each season and pay to have one of the best of the best in the industry (Wes Haley). Now, we know that Wes isn't doing choreography for any high school teams and would never duplicate that choreography if he was, so it's frustrating that a team (or their choreographer) would knowingly steal another choreographer's work, something that we families paid for.

Ive seen this happen alot in popwarner. The season after a allstar team competes something new and innovative, alot of teams all of a sudden have them in their routines. I remember the year after 2008 WCSS fashionista dance, countless teams danced to that. Also, ever since worlds last year, at alot of local competitions, I have seen teams doing ball-up 360's. They say imitation is the best form of flattery!

Back