All-Star Stealing Choreography?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I remember last year everyone who did a snap with their fingers and then started jumps was copying Senior Elite. :rolleyes:

I agree, there are little things in a routine that you cannot help but use, but I consider those "Cheer Staples"
Head rolls, finger snaps, basic cheer motions, flyer body positions, certain facials, etc are all up for grabs, but when it comes to using those "staples" in the same sequence and order as another team it crosses the line.
I also agree with CDRCoach...if you use a choreographer who travels the country doing routines all summer, you will most likely end up with something similar to another team. But again, (and I do not mean to offend any other choreographer in any way) I do not believe in re-using entire sequences for teams even if they are hundreds of miles apart and never meet at competition. There are ways to tweak things so that they are not exactly the same. I think of choreography as a school paper...you can use inspiration from other papers and information from those papers, but if you copy word for word you are in BIG trouble because that is taking someone's ideas and marketing it as your own.

Wasn't top gun the first to do this body position (at least that I can remember). They did it and then bent their knee and then kicked it back up to the sound of a gun. Anyone else remember this? Early 2000's maybe @Cheer Tennessee or @Drkilluzionz knows
That's who i thought was first. and didn't they kick it back up to a bow?

Northgate dance

Hermon High from Maine stole Northgate's dance.... AND WON STATES WITH IT!

Also, there was another team in my division that had the same exact dance and placed higher than us.. it was pretty comcal seeing two teams having the same dance that they obviously swiped from Northgate... ORIGINALITY PEOPLE!!!!

I think Happy does Northgate's choeography (I know he did this year but not sure about last). If neither of those teams had Happy do their choeography then I would have a problem with it. Do you know who did their routine?

I think there is a huge difference between stealing a dance and or routine and then having a choreographer teach 2 teams similar routines. Theres a big difference and you can definitly see it physically in a routine if it was stolen or just given to them ! I had my middle school team do a halftime to CEA 2011 Dance and they did the moves and everything and I dont mind posting it and I am not ashamed because it was a fun halftime for them and just something simple..I think its another thing to compete with someones stolen music and choreo. I also support parents and gyms getting angry that they are paying for mixes that have pretty much been ripped from another team ! I have the angel and devil on each shoulder on this topic !

I think Happy does Northgate's choeography (I know he did this year but not sure about last). If neither of those teams had Happy do their choeography then I would have a problem with it. Do you know who did their routine?
definetly not anyone like that. Everyones choreographers around here are just everyday people looking to make a couple grand.

I asked a girl from the team without the video and they said their choro was a girl from a town in Maine. They had stolen chunks of routines from Mill Creek as well. We got 2nd with an original routine and they got 1st at a competition with a stolen one!

a high school team from Canada, I would say 2 years ago, used basically the whole Fashionista dance. I remember I wasn't looking at the floor, and I heard the song start playing and looked over just in time to see the part where the girls go under the legs and the ding and all that business, from then on it was exactly the same. to anyone else, it was just a creative dance, as I would say 98% of high school cheerleaders here could not tell you who Shooting Stars were if they were in the World Cup gym, but I was kinda taken back

I want to say that I competed against them...but I don't remember. What I do remember is the confused look on my teammates face when we were watching the comp a few minutes after we competed and I busted out their entire dance perfectly in time without even looking at the mat

There is a coach "choreographer" back from where I used to live who would give allstar level 5 dances to high school teams. One of the girls came up to me and said "hey look at our awesome dance." When i turned on the music to what I thought was their dance (orange rays 2011), the dance was EXACT. and the kids said rays copied this coach!! it happens alot. Word of advice to coaches (learn more about your choreographer ie: achievements, clients, awards, resume) before you finalize anything. This really irritates me when clients "think" they have a prestigious choreographer, not knowing they are getting copied and reused material. I work hard at my profession as a choreographer doing the majority of the ICE Allstar teams and a few other smaller gyms, now breaking into college cheer choreography. In my eyes, it is an artform, and takes talent- not something to abuse and take advantage of.

I want to say that I competed against them...but I don't remember. What I do remember is the confused look on my teammates face when we were watching the comp a few minutes after we competed and I busted out their entire dance perfectly in time without even looking at the mat

All I remember was they had purple uniforms, or some type or purplish blue

Back