Stressed

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My kids are actually looking more forward to going back to CHEERSPORT this year than even going to NCA. They both want to redeem themselves from that experience. Cp14 finished 10/15 (j4) and was crossing to cp16s 7/7 (jc3). CP14 especially has already said that jacket is her goal this year.
Cheersport. Last year was our first time and CP's team lost by 0.01! It was a hard loss but to a very good team. This will be our first time at NCA and I have no idea what to expect other than what I've read here. I wasn't expecting NCA. I am working to just go with the flow.

It's basically the maddest an entire parent section has ever been. Several of us just walked outside. 70 minutes sitting on the mat talking and visualizing their performance in the last practice before our first CHEERSPORT. They did one full out. It was a disaster. It wasn't a surprise to any of us that we finished 7/7 but it was hard driving down there knowing that was coming. Then the coach in question (after awards) looks at my piping mad cp16 (if you've ever seen him compete he takes this &@"$ seriously) and says "well you didn't actually expect to come down here and win did you?"

I actually thought I was going to have to hold him back.

Omg...that is horrible! Cp had a similar coach at 7 years old who blamed the kids for her shortcomings and bad choices all the time. I can't even imagine how infuriating it would be with a "real" coach teaching Cheersport worthy teams! Your poor cp.

Omg...that is horrible! Cp had a similar coach at 7 years old who blamed the kids for her shortcomings and bad choices all the time. I can't even imagine how infuriating it would be with a "real" coach teaching Cheersport worthy teams! Your poor cp.
That's the thing, they did get blamed and this is the same team that eventually won the last all levels championship. They had the skill.

CP has been mentally visualizing how she is to tumble since she started working on her running tuck. Now she will do that and video herself physically performing the activity and compare the video with her mental image. It seems to have a powerful effect.
That's great! Video is a great way to enhance your imagery and useful for someone who isn't picturing the skill as clearly as they want to.

Not saying it isn't but I wasn't a fan of using actual practice time to do it. Sounds like a great strategy for a kid to do on their own time. Using actual practice time to do mental walk throughs (including warm up time at a competition) was not my idea of time well spent

Of course this is the same program that used 70 minutes of a 2 hour practice the week of CHEERSPORT to "talk" to the kids about what they needed to do on the mat. They threw one full out that week. We finished dead last.

ETA: after multiple experiences like that it became a running joke with the parents for the number of imaginary jackets our kids got.
I can definitely understand the frustration! Sometimes is can be useful to take time from practice to work on the mental aspects if you can't add extra time. What's important is that the cheerleaders are working with someone who can help them integrate it back in...so maybe it's a quick image of a skill right before the full out; or, in the prep, the flyer imagines the skill. There's all sorts of great ways to integrate mental skills training and sometimes it's not done as well as you'd hope.

It's basically the maddest an entire parent section has ever been. Several of us just walked outside. 70 minutes sitting on the mat talking and visualizing their performance in the last practice before our first CHEERSPORT. They did one full out. It was a disaster. It wasn't a surprise to any of us that we finished 7/7 but it was hard driving down there knowing that was coming. Then the coach in question (after awards) looks at my piping mad cp16 (if you've ever seen him compete he takes this &@"$ seriously) and says "well you didn't actually expect to come down here and win did you?"

Yeah, not the best timing for this. Maybe one mental run through while waiting to go, or even the morning of on the drive in, or during make-up. Timing of mental skills is often as important as what you are using!

We used to do mental run through at practice on occasion, but it wasn't something that took up a lot of time. It would be like full out, then mental run through right away as a break before going full out again. It only takes 2:30 so if you just do it once it's really not keeping you from your practice.
Yes! This is great- and you're right, it should be as long as the routine or skill takes. Imagery is also great for skills as an individual and then he or she can determine (or work with their mental toughness coach) on the times to integrate. Imagery can be done in and out of practice but athletes/teams sometimes need assistance to figure out appropriate times to do it.

OK, that's insane.

My CP had a coach that did this for 2 straight seasons. It is no fun. It had gotten to the point that if she had been her coach again this year she would not have cheered.

Yeah, not the best timing for this. Maybe one mental run through while waiting to go, or even the morning of on the drive in, or during make-up. Timing of mental skills is often as important as what you are using!

Before I start I love to visualise a lot as it just helps me but it is not everyone's cup of tea a lot of people on here been in the cheer world a long time and know their preferences I know you mean well yes mental toughness is important but people will ask for help if they need it

Before I start I love to visualise a lot as it just helps me but it is not everyone's cup of tea a lot of people on here been in the cheer world a long time and know their preferences I know you mean well yes mental toughness is important but people will ask for help if they need it
Yeah- cheerleaders definitely need to find what works for them. I generally agree that people will ask for help when they need it, but I find that a lot of cheerleaders and families don't know that there is support specifically for this. So, I think it's important to build awareness for parents,athletes, and coaches that there is something you can do if you want to work through fear/block/build confidence, etc. because then they really know to ask for help when it's needed.

Yeah- cheerleaders definitely need to find what works for them. I generally agree that people will ask for help when they need it, but I find that a lot of cheerleaders and families don't know that there is support specifically for this. So, I think it's important to build awareness for parents,athletes, and coaches that there is something you can do if you want to work through fear/block/build confidence, etc. because then they really know to ask for help when it's needed.

I understand but quite a few cases with blocks, confidence and fear there are causes which need to be solved first like bad basics or problems with the gym and outside life can affect stuff

I can just see suzies mum seeing this and I dont think it is as a quick fix for suzie to get out of their mental block when there are other issues.

I was scared of forward rolls due to seeming to head slam the floor and not being told any better realised the problem wasnt confidence but not being coached so went to an open gym where someone broke it down and in an hour it was so much better and i could do it.

I understand but quite a few cases with blocks, confidence and fear there are causes which need to be solved first like bad basics or problems with the gym and outside life can affect stuff

I can just see suzies mum seeing this and I dont think it is as a quick fix for suzie to get out of their mental block when there are other issues.

I was scared of forward rolls due to seeming to head slam the floor and not being told any better realised the problem wasnt confidence but not being coached so went to an open gym where someone broke it down and in an hour it was so much better and i could do it.
I can understand your concern, but keep in mind mental skill building is not a quick fix either. In fact, mental skill building is a lot like physical skill development in that it takes time, practice, and effort. Also, mental skills are great for life as well, so can help when things outside of cheer are being brought in. And, working through fears and blocks does require actually doing the skill and hopefully the appropriate mechanics/execution are addressed. When I work with cheerleaders individually, part of what we do is talk about what's going on and if it becomes clear it's more of a physical challenge and/or that the physical aspects need to be addressed more in addition to the mental aspects, then we may work on how the athlete can communicate this to the coach. Hopefully good coaches (physical and mental) can help the cheerleader determine what kind of support is needed. And, cheer coaches don't always know, or have time to help their athletes work through the mental aspects of fears and blocks.

Back