All-Star Substance Free Programs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

That's simple economics. Supply and demand. You see it in schools all the time (little microcosms of society that they are). Lower income kids are doing weed if they're doing anything, mostly because it's cheap. Most of the lower income dealers don't partake of their own product (or any product, they're some of the cleanest kids out there in terms of drug use) but it's the affluent schools that have a considerably larger issue with pills, heroin, etc because that stuff is higher priced. The kids who can afford it are the ones buying it.

Exactly. I've had friends who smoke be shocked when they go to a party with friends from the other schools about the stuff they're taking. It's just not worth playing Russian Roulette with your life in my opinion.

Exactly. I've had friends who smoke be shocked when they go to a party with friends from the other schools and be shocked about the stuff they're taking. It's just not worth playing Russian Roulette with your life in my opinion.
That's what's scary about the whole bath salt thing. Kids trying to jack up the cheap drug (weed) to make it harder. Had a kid two years ago we think got some weed with bath salts (there's not toxicology report that can tell you that) but I was astounded just how bad it was. He literally had a psychotic break, paranoia, schizophrenia... It was scary. Got him to the psych ward at the local hospital. He was there about two weeks. It honestly took him almost a year before he started acting like himself again. There was a girl on that unit they told us about who had been there for 4 months and they couldn't get her regulated chemically for her to be safe to release. That was bath salts too.

Never knew how crazy scary serious that was until that kid. Kids just don't get that all it can take is one time. One time and your life is changed (or over) forever. It's just not worth it.

That's what's scary about the whole bath salt thing. Kids trying to jack up the cheap drug (weed) to make it harder. Had a kid two years ago we think got some weed with bath salts (there's not toxicology report that can tell you that) but I was astounded just how bad it was. He literally had a psychotic break, paranoia, schizophrenia... It was scary. Got him to the psych ward at the local hospital. He was there about two weeks. It honestly took him almost a year before he started acting like himself again. There was a girl on that unit they told us about who had been there for 4 months and they couldn't get her regulated chemically for her to be safe to release. That was bath salts too.

Never knew how crazy scary serious that was until that kid. Kids just don't get that all it can take is one time. One time and your life is changed (or over) forever. It's just not worth it.

I'll never forget when my dad did the drug talk for us in middle school and told us how drugs like PCP can have you totally normal for days and one day you can snap and see dragons. Scary.

Bath Salts? I had no clue! Are they putting them in joints and smoking them?

The town in which my parents live and I grew up in (in SoCal) is now the number three meth capital in the US. A town of 5,000 people maximum. A town in "the new Bible Belt" as it's frequently referred to. No one is prone to exposure - but we all have a choice.

I don't necessarily think it's a good thing to speculate and throw things out there just because something has happened, because there is a network of family and friends in great despair right now. This is such a sad sequence of events - I hope that people in charge will wise up and change things so this can be prevented in the future.

I don't know if it's reached you guys down there yet, but see also: K2/Spice. Fake/synthetic weed with strange chemicals. A kid in PA was just declared brain dead from it.

His name is Phillip Seymour Hoffman (don't worry I forget his name all the time too).

Off topic a little: one of my friends is studying to be a social worker and last semester one of her classes required her to go to at least 2 addiction meetings to observe. She asked me to accompany her to the local NA meeting one night because she was scared to go alone. The meeting was really eye opening and interesting and I learned a lot. But the people there started talking about how prescription drugs are tricky for recovering addicts, even after years and years of being sober, and when they get hurt and go to the doctors they need to be extremely careful of what's prescribed because they can easily fall off the wagon from it. During the discussion it was mentioned how just a couple months before we were there, Hoffman attended the NA meeting we were at and was completely sober, he sat in the same room as us and they said that he was like 20+ years sober. A couple weeks after he attended the meeting, he got hurt on set and the doctor gave him prescription drugs for his pain which caused him to go back to drugs and overdose. It was so heartbreaking to hear that and really eerie thinking how a famous actor who had passed from an OD was sitting in the same room as us a couple weeks before completely clean and sober.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
Philip Seymour Hoffman. My heart broke- such a wonderful man in the grips of a terrible addiction (heroin). Heroin was HUGE in the 90s, although I know drugs go in and out of 'style', I can't believe that's the one that's coming back.

I grew up with him. He's just Phil to us, and every time I see his name like this, in this context, it's like a punch in the stomach. :( It's so strange to think that's the same guy we knew. (although even back then we knew he was bigger than our little town could handle)

This whole thread makes me so sad. :(:(:(

I don't know if it's reached you guys down there yet, but see also: K2/Spice. Fake/synthetic weed with strange chemicals. A kid in PA was just declared brain dead from it.
Sadly yes...that stuff is WAY worse than the "real" stuff and it's legal. Same sort of effects with permanent psychosis. It's like it rewrites your brain to "crazy"

I just don't believe that someone who is a healthy high preforming athlete could be into illicit drugs to the point of overdose. I hope and pray it was accidental or something because that it so devastating.

To be realistic, one could try a drug for the first time and end up overdosing.

When I cheered in college we were never even threatened with drug test (however we were threatened with fat testing...priorities). I remember being at NCA college nationals and being at a loss for words at all of the partying from athletes....especially the ones from top performing teams. It was literally "too much turn up" in every way imaginable.

I think colleges should drug test all athletes, every month. There needs to be counseling and assistance with treatment for those that turn up positive.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Last edited:
When I cheered in college we were never even threatened with drug test (however we were threatened with fat testing...priorities). I remember being at NCA college nationals and being at a loss for words at all of the partying from athletes....especially the ones from top performing teams. It was literally "too much turn up" in every way imaginable.

*sees drunk guys at Stunt Fest trying to put up BHS rewinds with tipsy flyers and drunk teammates "spotting."*
*re-evaluates life*

Last edited:
*sees drunk guys at Stunt Fest trying to put up BHS rewinds with tipsy flyers and a drunk teammates "spotting."*
*re-evaluates life*
So true!!!! It amazes me how many parents have started letting their high school junior and senior children go to Daytona if it coincides with their spring break. I understand it's the only way to see all the top schools in one place, but no way would I ever want my hypothetical teenager to see, or God forbid participate in, the things that happen at Stunt Fest.

I really think it will take a death occurring at Daytona or Worlds to get people to make any changes. Sad.

Back