All-Star Substance Free Programs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

^^^^^I haven't been down since college, but some of the SF videos make me cringe. I'm just waiting for someone to tear something and end their cheer careers over it, or worse. I seriously could barely CARTWHEEL after 3-4 drinks so I stayed on the ground for the festivities.

Three BHS whip through to arabian through to double is dangerous enough on grass/sand. Add having been drinking all afternoon to the mix and it's an injury waiting to happen.

*sees drunk guys at Stunt Fest trying to put up BHS rewinds with tipsy flyers and drunk teammates "spotting."*
*re-evaluates life*

That and some club place we went to the night after finals. Like I don't need you and your dilated pupils gyrating next to me.

Seriously the second finals were over (or you lose the challenge cup) it turned into total debauchery

This whole thread makes me so sad. :(:(:(

Ugh... Why are these showing up as smiley faces? They were supposed to be sad faces, obviously.

As for who would foot the bill for drug testing... If cheerleaders can afford $30 bows, $250 worth of practice wear, etc. could we not just assess a fee for drug testing? I had to pay for my own drug testing to be in a health care program at school, so I don't see why athletes wouldn't have to pay for it.

As for allstar, I don't know how you would do mandatory drug testing in a non-school, optional, pay-to-play club sport? Not sure if you could do that or not.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

My daughter was asked by an outside tutor if "Dan the lunchroom man" was still at her school. I asked who Dan the lunchroom man is, and was told by the tutor, he was the school drug dealer. I find it hard to believe all these HS's have on site police officers, the teachers all know where these kids go to smoke, an outside tutor knows who the school dealer is, my kid can point out every high student in a classroom, but they can't seem to ever make any arrests. Love and respect our police officers, but things that make you say, "hhhmmmmm?"

Ugh... Why are these showing up as smiley faces? They were supposed to be sad faces, obviously.

As for who would foot the bill for drug testing... If cheerleaders can afford $30 bows, $250 worth of practice wear, etc. could we not just assess a fee for drug testing? I had to pay for my own drug testing to be in a health care program at school, so I don't see why athletes wouldn't have to pay for it.

As for allstar, I don't know how you would do mandatory drug testing in a non-school, optional, pay-to-play club sport? Not sure if you could do that or not.

they're sad faces for me.

i agree that club sports probably could not demand it. the only way it could possibly work is if it was a USASF policy and mandatory to be a member gym or a registered athlete, etc. i don't see them doing that, but i think that's the only way it could work. it would have to be every gym across the board.

My daughter was asked by an outside tutor if "Dan the lunchroom man" was still at her school. I asked who Dan the lunchroom man is, and was told by the tutor, he was the school drug dealer. I find it hard to believe all these HS's have on site police officers, the teachers all know where these kids go to smoke, an outside tutor knows who the school dealer is, my kid can point out every high student in a classroom, but they can't seem to ever make any arrests. Love and respect our police officers, but things that make you say, "hhhmmmmm?"

It's not a simple "I heard/think you do drugs I'm going to arrest you." They have to be caught in the act or with the stuff to get in any trouble. Teachers who believe students may have a problem can refer them to the drug consular at my school. Big cases of kids selling drugs are usually investigated by the narcotics unit but a kid that deals to their school won't get in trouble until they, get caught.

Because some of them are so good at it, they're hard to catch.

Police need probable cause, what you listed doesn't even give me "reasonable suspicion" (which is all I need to get started under TLO v NJ) and a much lower standard of evidence. It starts with us (since our threshold of evidence is lower) and when we get enough to produce probable cause it goes to the resource officer. Until then he can't even be in the room.

It's not that we don't always know about it, it's that "knowing" and "proving" are two different things. And now that our hands are tied with looking at cell phones, where evidence of the deals is in their text messages, it will be even harder. If you don't see it go down, you're not likely to be able to catch it...and some of these kids are professionals at it. I've known kids we KNEW were dealing, a watched them like hawks and still never saw it actually go down. It's frustrating.

To be realistic, one could try a drug for the first time and end up overdosing.

When I cheered in college we were never even threatened with drug test (however we were threatened with fat testing...priorities). I remember being at NCAA college nationals and being at a loss for words at all of the partying from athletes....especially the ones from top performing teams. It was literally "too much turn up" in every way imaginable.

Nationals is not sponsored by the NCAA. One area of compliance for all NCAA sports is that athletes "sign off" that they will submit to a drug test at any given time. At least this forewarns and hopefully makes them think about their eligibility. See 3.0:
http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/DT Book 2014-15.pdf

I think colleges should drug test all athletes, every month. There needs to be counseling and assistance with treatment for those that turn up positive.

Last edited by a moderator:
It amazes me every day. Okay I'll admit I'm naive and usually don't notice when my classmates are high, but if they don't do a good job covering up even I can tell. I've literally been sitting in class and had a teacher be like "hmm it really smells like weed I bet someone's smoking in the bathroom" and then carry on teaching. Kids have been caught with vodka in their water bottles as FRESHMEN. What happens? They might get a warning and grounded for a week by their parents, that's about it. So they're basically being taught that there are no real consequences...
The most punishment I've seen someone get (from the school, but it was really MSHSAA) was no football for 365 days (he still played baseball?). And this was for getting drunk, trying to drive home, crashing, and fleeing the scene. It took that much for the school to do anything about it. Yes his license was taken away and he's probably screwed himself over for the future but athletes party and get busted all the time and nothing is done until it's unavoidable.
eta - I know it's hard to get enough to do anything about it. It just sucks that that's how it is!

Last edited:

drug problems are certainly a nationwide problem but NJ especially is having a full blown epidemic right now, specifically with heroin. i can name at least 20 people i graduated high school with who have died of overdose in the last 5 years. the police officers now carry narcan, a heroin overdose anecdote that can revive them long enough to get them to a hospital. it is also offered free to anyone - teachers, schools, family members, friends, or ever drug users themselves (training is provided free as well.) in my county, at least, we have also been having random sweeps where the outside police (not school resource officer) brings in the drug-dogs and they let them loose in the school. anything in the lockers is fair game, since it's school property. these sweeps happened randomly at various schools this year.

i am actually proud of how proactive the entire state of NJ is with this problem. i only wish the Narcan revival came with mandatory stint at rehab. right now, they'll revive you and bring you to the hospital (no legal action) and then you're free to basically overdose again and hope someone with narcan will be around next time. thats my only issue.

To be realistic, one could try a drug for the first time and end up overdosing.

When I cheered in college we were never even threatened with drug test (however we were threatened with fat testing...priorities). I remember being at NCAA college nationals and being at a loss for words at all of the partying from athletes....especially the ones from top performing teams. It was literally "too much turn up" in every way imaginable.

I think colleges should drug test all athletes, every month. There needs to be counseling and assistance with treatment for those that turn up positive.

Let me try that again and apologies for the blank post in the wrong place. Nationals is not sponsored by the NCAA. One area of compliance for all NCAA sports is that athletes "sign off" that they will submit to a drug test at any given time. At least this forewarns and hopefully makes them think about their eligibility. See 3.0:

It's not that we don't always know about it, it's that "knowing" and "proving" are two different things. And now that our hands are tied with looking at cell phones, where evidence of the deals is in their text messages, it will be even harder. If you don't see it go down, you're not likely to be able to catch it...and some of these kids are professionals at it. I've known kids we KNEW were dealing, a watched them like hawks and still never saw it actually go down. It's frustrating.

My school had a big weed problem that's toned down on the past few years. I friends get caught outside of school but because they were all first time offenders they were spared and got to graduate. Normally if you get caught with any illegal substance for the first time you just have to go to Drug and Alcohol classes. If it becomes a problem they will pull you out of school.

I've seen a kid who was high everyday of freshman year get kicked out only to come back a little better. Or kids that disappeared because they kept getting caught up.

Let me try that again and apologies for the blank post in the wrong place. Nationals is not sponsored by the NCAA. One area of compliance for all NCAA sports is that athletes "sign off" that they will submit to a drug test at any given time. At least this forewarns and hopefully makes them think about their eligibility. See 3.0:

I posted from my cell phone and autocorrected it to NCAA from NCA. I'm pretty sure everyone knows what I meant. ...Surely nobody is running around thinking that NCAA College cheerleading nationals is an actual event....Cheers not a sport...duh.;)

I posted from my cell phone and autocorrected it to NCAA from NCA. I'm pretty sure everyone knows what I meant. ...Surely nobody is running around thinking that NCAA College cheerleading nationals is an actual event....Cheers not a sport...duh.;)

Sorry I was not trying to be a jerk. You cannot imagine how many people DO think the NCAA sponsor the championship

Recently a local, much-loved, middle school teacher was arrested for dealing drugs from school.

Back