All-Star Substance Free Programs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

@njallday I was just going to post something similar to you. It's sad how many people I have known (or know people who have known) that have died as a result of a heroin OD in the last few years. NJ really does have a crisis, but they are working hard to combat it.

My daughter was asked by an outside tutor if "Dan the lunchroom man" was still at her school. I asked who Dan the lunchroom man is, and was told by the tutor, he was the school drug dealer. I find it hard to believe all these HS's have on site police officers, the teachers all know where these kids go to smoke, an outside tutor knows who the school dealer is, my kid can point out every high student in a classroom, but they can't seem to ever make any arrests. Love and respect our police officers, but things that make you say, "hhhmmmmm?"

In my daughter's school, the in-school police officer WAS the school drug dealer. He was arrested about 6 months after I pulled her out of that school. Turns out he was some big deal in a gang, dealing drugs, etc. - in the school. He'd been there 5 years.

It's pitiful. Sometimes I think I'm the last person left on earth that's not on drugs.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

In my daughter's school, the in-school police officer WAS the school drug dealer. He was arrested about 6 months after I pulled her out of that school. Turns out he was some big deal in a gang, dealing drugs, etc. - in the school. He'd been there 5 years.

It's pitiful. Sometimes I think I'm the last person left on earth that's not on drugs.

Naw girl. D.A.R.E worked for me

@njallday I was just going to post something similar to you. It's sad how many people I have known (or know people who have known) that have died as a result of a heroin OD in the last few years. NJ really does have a crisis, but they are working hard to combat it.

so sad, but they really are trying to save lives, not just make arrests.

i believe they also opened at least one new methadone clinic and another rehab facility in ocean county alone. police have even sent out statements like "hey, that heroin from so and so dealer with a tweety bird on it is contaminated and it will kill you. don't do it alone and here are the signs to look out for." it'd be much easier just to say "don't do drugs" but they know people are going to do them anyway and they are trying their hardest to battle the drug problem and save some lives in the process.

Because some of them are so good at it, they're hard to catch.

Police need probable cause, what you listed doesn't even give me "reasonable suspicion" (which is all I need to get started under TLO v NJ) and a much lower standard of evidence. It starts with us (since our threshold of evidence is lower) and when we get enough to produce probable cause it goes to the resource officer. Until then he can't even be in the room.

It's not that we don't always know about it, it's that "knowing" and "proving" are two different things. And now that our hands are tied with looking at cell phones, where evidence of the deals is in their text messages, it will be even harder. If you don't see it go down, you're not likely to be able to catch it...and some of these kids are professionals at it. I've known kids we KNEW were dealing, a watched them like hawks and still never saw it actually go down. It's frustrating.

It's an international problem then. At the school I work at (junior high...), there are already drug addicts. These kids show up high, smelling unmistakingly like weed, but there's nothing we can do. The worst thing is that they know that there's nothing we can do. They also know there's not much the police can do.

I've done an internship at a local high school with a great reputation, the kind of school out of district kids all apply to. It's a so-called prestigious school. Turns out it's also where most of the drug deals in the area happen (which no one knows unless they've worked or been there). The counselor who was tutoring me made a list the polytoxicomaniacs, and there were a lot (and I'm not even talking about weed smokers). He also showed me the known drug dealers, who never got caught of course but everybody knew about their extracurricular activities...

Meanwhile, parents continue to send their kids there proudly... it's a scary thought.

I'm for the legalization of weed because it actually makes it more difficult for underage kids to get their hands on it. I saw more weed when I was in high school than alcohol.

I've never seen the word overdose used when discussing alcohol, and I've seen A LOT of drug/alcohol related deaths, though you could be right.

I'm not necessarily talking about Dani in particular when I say this (obviously since no one is really sure as to how she passed) but I feel as though people often forget that alcohol is a toxin. The only reason humans can consume even a small amount of it without dying is because our bodies produce it during alcohol fermentation and need for our liver to be able to process it.

I'm for the legalization of weed because it actually makes it more difficult for underage kids to get their hands on it. I saw more weed when I was in high school than alcohol.
I feel like I see equal amounts, though the weed is way more in your face because people smoke at school and are a lot less likely to drink at school (though it does happen). But yes... it would definitely make it more difficult.

I work at an Elementary school - I did summer session at a high school a couple of weeks ago, working in an ESE classroom. We were the only occupied class in that hallway. Chairs and desk, etc. were placed outside and pushed to the side down the hall. One afternoon, right before dismissal, I went into the hallway bathroom - and there was no mistaken the smell coming from the hallway. I was shocked, I guess somewhat naive- as I don't normally work at a high school. When we wheeled our kids out to the bus, all the aides in the classroom with me could smell the smell - we all knew, but I couldn't believe it - right in the hallway, that kids are that brazen. We alerted Admin. - but not sure what happened - I am guessing not much unless they actually caught them. My youngest just graduated High School, and I thought I am so glad my kids are out (they didn't go to this school) - and I felt sad also that kids feel they have to resort to drugs for whatever reason.

Back