OT The Dance Moms Thread!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic

Are you on team Abby or team Kelly

• Total voters
If that Paige lawsuit gets anywhere, it could set a significant precedent re: the strict and harsh coaching of children. There are some coaches out there that make Abby Lee look like a sweetie-pie. If they are liable for being sued for the insulting things they say, etc. it could really be a game-changer in some sports.

wouldn't that be amazing!

If that Paige lawsuit gets anywhere, it could set a significant precedent re: the strict and harsh coaching of children. There are some coaches out there that make Abby Lee look like a sweetie-pie. If they are liable for being sued for the insulting things they say, etc. it could really be a game-changer in some sports.

Paige better read Dominique Moceanu's book where she mentions Bela Karolyi and learn to suck it up.

(Clearly kidding)

Paige better read Dominique Moceanu's book where she mentions Bela Karolyi and learn to suck it up.

(Clearly kidding)
And the sad things is that there were so many gymnastics moms desperate to have the Karolyis train their kids. Bela was an abuser.

Dance competitions will even publish rules and then allow certain studios to blatantly break them - it is just a system w/ a very loose set of rules and a lot of subjectivity.

Cheerleading is a ton more regulated.

Your last sentence is funny to me, because what you described sounds *exactly* like cheerleading!

(see me in 6 months - I will probably live to eat these words!)

Your last sentence is funny to me, because what you described sounds *exactly* like cheerleading!

(see me in 6 months - I will probably live to eat these words!)

....I'm hoping the Karolyi's hang around long enough to coach my future daughter.

I quoted the wrong post. That's what I get for fierceborting at a football game @officialoweicsntrmeneb

Last edited:
And the sad things is that there were so many gymnastics moms desperate to have the Karolyis train their kids. Bela was an abuser.

Wow, watching those gymnasts on TV running to him, getting those big bear hugs, twirls in the air and carry to the award podium, I thought Bela K. was all like, the Big Old 'Snuggly', cuddly teddy bear and based on how these little girls talked about him, I would have thought he was their 2nd dad and it was actually the wife, who was cracking the whip down on the girls...I remembered reading Nadia Comaneci's book years ago and watching the movie on her life and it appeared that Bela really did not have the credentials to coach and it was his wife, Marta that really worked and trained the girls and she was the true 'tiger mom'. I learn something new today! I guess, Bela Karolyi was/is the new surrogate 'Joe Jackson' in the gymnastics world...hahahaha

Wow, watching those gymnasts on TV running to him, getting those big bear hugs, twirls in the air and carry to the award podium, I thought Bela K. was all like, the Big Old 'Snuggly', cuddly teddy bear and based on how these little girls talked about him, I would have thought he was their 2nd dad and it was actually the wife, who was cracking the whip down on the girls...I remembered reading Nadia Comaneci's book years ago and watching the movie on her life and it appeared that Bela really did not have the credentials to coach and it was his wife, Marta that really worked and trained the girls and she was the true 'tiger mom'. I learn something new today! I guess, Bela Karolyi was/is the new surrogate 'Joe Jackson' in the gymnastics world...hahahaha
I read Little Girls in Pretty Boxes and according to the author, lots of gymnasts have reported being hit by him. Ironically, the worst punishment he doled out was ignoring them, because that meant that he didn't see them as worthy of being trained (by him). That was the gymnasts' and parents' worst fear.

I have to give Bela credit for how hard he has worked in life, though. Especially considering that he had no backing from his parents.

I read Little Girls in Pretty Boxes and according to the author, lots of gymnasts have reported being hit by him. Ironically, the worst punishment he doled out was ignoring them, because that meant that he didn't see them as worthy of being trained (by him). That was the gymnasts' and parents' worst fear.

I have to give Bela credit for how hard he has worked in life, though. Especially considering that he had no backing from his parents.

You know @Official OWECheer I heard about that book I think by Betty Okino, but never got around to reading it... But I heard from interviews from Dominique M. that her Dad pretty much enslaved her to the Karolyis' and it seem like the Romanian ways are so different from our ways of treating children... I think Nadia, being Romanian and growing up in a system that takes children away from their families and trained them hard is vastly different from Americanized system of children being able to speak and have some human rights..at least, we need to give these children 3 meals and a cot...hahaha

I must imagine these 2 books are going to be so different - At the time of Nadia's book, she was still trying to glamorize this sport and her Romania country (dictatorial leadership) to the world and maybe, possibly, the Karolyis' treated her differently because she was responsible for introducing them to the world and their present prominence in the gymnastics world...However, these books coming out now are from gymnasts that are free and can speak their minds without retributions, so more and likely these new books are more credible in my eyes.

I've read dominique's book, Jennifer Sey's book and Little Girl's in Pretty Boxes. Really awful stuff in those books. Girls literally starved and forced to train and compete while injured.

One of the books described a training group scenario where a coach always had a favorite that was used for the purpose of making the others feel inferior so they would work harder. There was also a "second best" girl who's purpose was to keep the favorite on their toes. A lot like what is portrayed on Dance Mom's show.

i just came across this on youtube, don't even know how i ended up there but if this is a recent video it seems like chloe will be back

Dance Moms Wiki:Spoilers and Future Episode Information - Dance Moms Wiki
  • Early in Season 3, Kelly's contract was amended in "real life," at the time corresponding to Out With the Old, In With the New, when the moms went on strike on the show, and replacement dancers performed for the ALDC. To view the amendment, introduced as an exhibit in Kelly's civil lawsuit against Collins Avenue and Abby, see this pdf (page 21), or text here. Terms of compensation were negotiated for Season 3, including Episodic Fees for a maximum of twenty-six episodes ($6,950 per episode); pay for special episodes ($10,000 per episode); a Holiday Special ($12,500); bonuses for completing the season ("Cycle Completion Bonus," at $40,000); babysitting and clothing allowances ($3500 and $300/week, respectively); and merchandising shares. A contract option for Season 4 was included, exercisable by Collins Avenue, under the same rules of compensation (besides an increase of the "Cycle Completion Bonus" to $60,000.) This late-2012 amendment to the 2011 contract "Agreement" contained no terms of compensation for possible seasons 5 or later. Amendments for the other moms starring on the show, who returned to the show at the same time as Kelly, have not been made available publicly; and it is uncertain if their agreements on these matters would similarly be in lapse for a presumed Season 5.
http://www-deadline-com.vimg.net/wp.../Dance-Moms-Assault-Suit-WM__140215022006.pdf

i just came across this on youtube, don't even know how i ended up there but if this is a recent video it seems like chloe will be back

They competed today and Chloe wasn't there according to the Dance Mom spoiler website. But Kahlani was back... so I guess her mom wasn't as bright as I thought

Dance Moms Wiki:Spoilers and Future Episode Information - Dance Moms Wiki
  • Early in Season 3, Kelly's contract was amended in "real life," at the time corresponding to Out With the Old, In With the New, when the moms went on strike on the show, and replacement dancers performed for the ALDC. To view the amendment, introduced as an exhibit in Kelly's civil lawsuit against Collins Avenue and Abby, see this pdf (page 21), or text here. Terms of compensation were negotiated for Season 3, including Episodic Fees for a maximum of twenty-six episodes ($6,950 per episode); pay for special episodes ($10,000 per episode); a Holiday Special ($12,500); bonuses for completing the season ("Cycle Completion Bonus," at $40,000); babysitting and clothing allowances ($3500 and $300/week, respectively); and merchandising shares. A contract option for Season 4 was included, exercisable by Collins Avenue, under the same rules of compensation (besides an increase of the "Cycle Completion Bonus" to $60,000.) This late-2012 amendment to the 2011 contract "Agreement" contained no terms of compensation for possible seasons 5 or later. Amendments for the other moms starring on the show, who returned to the show at the same time as Kelly, have not been made available publicly; and it is uncertain if their agreements on these matters would similarly be in lapse for a presumed Season 5.
http://www-deadline-com.vimg.net/wp.../Dance-Moms-Assault-Suit-WM__140215022006.pdf

:eek: they make almost 7000 an episode...... where do i sign up, ha... ... but it would make sense as to why some of them stuck it out for so long, if they were making that kind of money in one day. everyone has a price.

Back