All-Star Transparency In Scoring And Allstar Cheerleading

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Are you in favor of complete scoring transparency?

• I am an athlete and am NOT in favor.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Emphatically NO!! I would gladly pay the 5 bucks, but, doesn't your prez demagogue those who do that very thing.

Doesn't every president and candidate do that (except Ron Paul)? It's cause straight talking about ideas doesn't get one elected. I could hate the players, but I just hate the game.

Independent contractors. Individually you can find them but you can't contact services to find them for you. We have a guy we use who speaks better than average English for $10 an hour. (the better English makes him more expensive.. there can be a HUGE language barrier).

A lot of the cost raising is all the regulations and safety as well as the fact that a programmer over there doesn't understand the point or design of the application. It still takes an architect (which is where the next big range of money will come from). Those who can dream up and design good applications.

Good point. And this is where I personally think the tide is going to turn. Large corporations won't work with independent contractors - and it is the brain wholesalers (the larger outsource companies) that are pricing themselves out of the market because they must get the 'best of the best' Indian resources working for them - in order to compete with a US architect who has a physical presence and no time zone or language barriers.

I will be honest, however, and say that our educational system also needs to start paying attention. The trend of the past with East Indians coming to this country for schooling is changing, as their educational system evolves and grows. Previously, only the wealthy could attend a university there. Our outsourcing dollars are funding more schools. And painful as it is to hear, my experience is that their schools are starting to turn out more talented IT resources than ours are.

With that statement, I am going to duck and run. And quit hijacking this thread.

Good point. And this is where I personally think the tide is going to turn. Large corporations won't work with independent contractors - and it is the brain wholesalers (the larger outsource companies) that are pricing themselves out of the market because they must get the 'best of the best' Indian resources working for them - in order to compete with a US architect who has a physical presence and no time zone or language barriers.

I will be honest, however, and say that our educational system also needs to start paying attention. The trend of the past with East Indians coming to this country for schooling is changing, as their educational system evolves and grows. Previously, only the wealthy could attend a university there. Our outsourcing dollars are funding more schools. And painful as it is to hear, my experience is that their schools are starting to turn out more talented IT resources than ours are.

With that statement, I am going to duck and run. And quit hijacking this thread.

WOW!! Talk about a blast from the past - Welcome Back TheUltimateFan!
Purple REIGN is BACK!

lol, I'm glad you didn't hold your breath :)
And texting Jac doesn't work either - I mean you have a better shot at reaching the Space Shuttle on that dark side of the moon :)
Ha ha ha. This is the only place I can ever contact Jac. Forget emails. :rolleyes:

Nice to hear from you again and see you haven't disappointed me by changing. LOL.

lol, I'm glad you didn't hold your breath :)
And texting Jac doesn't work either - I mean you have a better shot at reaching the Space Shuttle on that dark side of the moon :)
Good grief. Please do not give her ANOTHER reason to ask me for a new $$$$ phone for her birthday. :mad::D

Guys I'm really looking for someone, anyone out there that thinks this is a terrible idea! Anyone!

Guys I'm really looking for someone, anyone out there that thinks this is a terrible idea! Anyone!

I'm assuming that EPs would have to hire additional people to gather/input/disseminate scores on the day of the event, or otherwise pay additional money for computer programs/equipment to do this for them. I'd guess that they'd think it is a terrible idea? I'd have to disagree, of course, because that's a rather short-sighted view... but that's all I've got.

Much of scoring is done on computers already - directly from the judges tables.
I'm assuming that EPs would have to hire additional people to gather/input/disseminate scores on the day of the event, or otherwise pay additional money for computer programs/equipment to do this for them. I'd guess that they'd think it is a terrible idea? I'd have to disagree, of course, because that's a rather short-sighted view... but that's all I've got.

I could imagine the coding would be exhaustive.

If we're talking one scoresheet then it wouldn't be that hard to code. Of you start tracking a bunch of different scoresheets (jam brands, worlds, etc.) it would take a little more work, but it's pretty basic sticking data in a database and pulling it back out. Basically the stuff I could do in my sleep at work.

Actually getting people to input their scores would probably be the hardest part.

Edit: andddd this is what happens when I don't read all of the replies before replying myself. I'm a little late to the party.

I think both ideas (transparency and divisions) are great ideas. I can see where large gyms may feel they might be judged more harshly. From my small gym perspective, the scoring for being large/small isn't really the issue. My point has always been that small gyms do not have the ability to pick a squad full of girls with a higher level skill; rather, we make up a team with what girls can do. By that I mean, even if you combined both gyms in our town, you would not have a team fulls, even if it were a small team. So I think the ability to pick from a larger pool is where I think they have the advantage.
Transparency would be helpful..esp after last competition. I watched the video of our divison. True our team had 3 booboos.. 1 fall to the floor and 2 falls. The team ahead of us, literally had 6 falls. So doing the math from the score sheet provided, really didn't add up. Yes, I am a parent; and I totally admit I am not good at judge the exact difficulty of routines but I have seen enough to know they didn't have much that was more difficult. But I would like to know where they gained those points.
Last point, I think the score sheet may help coaches with parents issues. How many times do you hear parents say, well, we hit everything; nobody fell so why did we not win?? Well, if difficulty was on score sheets, the coach could then say, well the winning team had X number of such and such skills.

Actually I've been assuming its our execution that's scoring higher. Id like to think that our difficulty score is higher too but I know better. I'm only assuming its execution bc we have been the cleanest team. Not flailing around in stunts seems to be a dying art here.
Coaches often are put in situations where they have to compare and contrast the teams they see and coach every day with those that they compete against (and see once or twice total). I think that most coaches - myself included - tend to vastly overestimate their ability to fairly judge teams in those situations.

kingston said:
Read this yesterday and seems very appropriate.

Why You Think Your Team Is Better Than It Really Is

I definitely have to remind myself that, even though my team may have just had a stellar performance, the personal celebrations are just that--personal. The judges do not know our personal story. The performance did NOT affect them the same way it affected me. I remember that so I can keep my emotions in check if the outcome is less than desirable.

Great article!

Back