Tumbling And Level 5 Skills

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 26, 2012
Hey guys! Okay so im a junior this year and have cheered all my life but never for allstars. I am OBBSESSED with being a level 5 cheerleader but I'm not really sure what I need. Tryouts are in may and although there is a high chance that I might not make it, I still want to try. I have:
Heel stretch
Scale
Bow
Back handspring
I've done tick tocks
Full ups

I don't have:
A solid scorpion(I have back problems so its hard, but I can pull it really well with plenty of stretching)
Nothing over a back handspring
Full downs

So my question is basically tips for my tumbling and better scorpion stretches! Thx!
Also I know gaining those skills are hard but I just want to try and aim for it.

I would say to try to get private lessons at the gym you want to cheer for.... you can improve your tumbling a lot at private lessons! Try to be at the gym as often as possible (which also depends on your finances, it can get pricey, just be there as often as you can afford to). You might also want to see if they have a flying class where you can fly more advanced stunts. It won't help as much if it's just stretching (well it will help with your stretches, but not the actual stretching) but if they have a stunt group that can put you up, you can start working on full downs and other level 5 stunts!
For stretches, look up Gabi Butler Stretching Video on youtube. People I've seen have had great results!
ETA: Good luck!

Okay! I'm being homeschooled for the rest of this semester and probably my senior year depending on my parents, so that gives me a lot of time for privates. Also, if your scorpion is not the best will you still be able to fly?

It really depends on the gym! You never really know until choreography who will fly, there may be 8 flyers and only 6 stunts and whichever groups "work" will be the ones that stay... But they'd probably let you fly! Always keep working it even if you aren't put as a flyer in choreography, they may need you later!

With nothing over a back handspring, that is a lot of tumbling to get solid before May. I don't mean to be a downer, but that is going to be tough to do, even with privates. I would just focus on getting good solid progression in tumbling rather than throwing level 5 skills no matter what. Honestly, it is going to be tough for you to get in as a flyer on a level 5 team without a solid scorpion or a full down, and the fact that you don't have any allstar experience is going to mean a gym has to put a lot of faith in you. I would just be there as much as possible, do you best to improve, and be happy with whatever placement you get, level 5 or not.

Mostly work on your tumbling:) but mostly, don't give up!! You can get to level 5 if you really want to. Set goals on what skills you want to get by a certain time.

Back