Tumbling And Swimming

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

mytriplek

Cheer Parent
Oct 18, 2012
My cp has privates 2 days a week to clean up her tumbling. She has also decided she wants to return to swimming to re-build her endurance.

Is it ok to have swim and tumbling in the same day?

Someone told me swimming weakens your muscles. They said she may be still too tired to perform 4 hrs later

It's probably nice to have it different days if possible just to spread it out, but it would be fine to do both on the same day, as long as she's making sure she's properly energized in between. Swimming burns a lot of calories. But I know cheerleaders who are also swimmers and they do both in the same day. Swimming makes you super strong! Just make sure she eases in to it, if she goes from not swimming to swimming 5 miles, obviously practice will be difficult after that but if she works her way up to the longer workouts her body will adjust and she'll be fine.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I'm always so tired after swimming. I think if you were to do both I'd do tumbling in the morning and then swimming later at night so you can get a little (or long) nap in between. I just really love naps.

I think it would be the same issue with any cardio that was done in the same day, especially at first. As she builds up her endurance though, she probably will be able to swim and tumble on the same day. At first though she will probably be exhausted, and swimming before tumbling would most likely turn into a waste of a private.

I have heard the no swimming and tumbling rule too, but I think it might have a different meaning. In the context that it was mentioned to me, it was a warning about how swimming only while while traveling to comps could be detrimental. The muscles used to swim are not used in a lot of other sports and doing it only so often could cause your body pain and tire it out.

I would think that swimming would be ok, if it was added into your weekly routines and your body has grown used to it. You just need to build the endurance.

Someone told me swimming weakens your muscles. They said she may be still too tired to perform 4 hrs later
Absolutely correct! Our gym does not allow athletes to swim at competitions. After the full competition is finished you are free to go swimming, hot tub, ect..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely correct! Our gym does not allow athletes to swim at competitions. After the full competition is finished you are free to go swimming, hot tub, ect..

Not to mention the dreaded stunting in the pool that inevitably leaves 1 or more injured....
After the comp is finished, I agree. Feel free.

have swimming after tumbling if you can. Tumbling when you are over tired is dangerous and it might not be very productive

Our gym has the same rule. We do this because it takes the body about 48 hours (might be a bit less, don't quote me on that) to recover from swimming. When you're swimming you're subconsciously using most of your muscles. So it could be potentially dangerous to be tumbling right after.

Back