All-Star Twerk Ban

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm going to preface my reply first by noting that I am not the spokesperson for all or any of "Black America".

I don't twerk. I don't dance in general but if I did twerking would not be a movement I partake in simply because it would be purpose defeating as I do not have the "physique" or muscle control(and no I don't mean "large women" as referenced by the poster behind me because not only have I seen twerking by all races and genders but by all body types as well) needed to do so...

"Twerking" is not a part of black culture. When someone mentions twerking I don't think "Oh gah, let me hop on this here wall and flip over and make my race proud". Line dancing (which I hate)...cha cha slide, cupid shuffle, even that tragic "Wop"... I would associate with black culture...simply because I can't go to a "black" wedding, "black" cook out or "black" anything without a line dance song coming on and everyone (but me) running to the floor like a moth to a flame.

This ridiculous fad is not apart of any culture other than pop culture, same as that irritating "harlem shake" (parody). We all know that pop culture is fast, fleeting and fickle. Twerking will not go down in the history books next to a picture of Miley Cyrus, Nicki Minaj, Blacc Chyna or anyone else that can dance for bands right now.

People attribute twerking to "black" culture because people twerk to "hip hop" music and THAT is apart of black culture. People attribute twerking to "black"culture because "all" "black" have rhythm (stereo-typically speaking...as I am able to disprove this every day) and a successful twerk clearly requires a great command of rhythm. People say "white girls can twerk too" because (stereo-typically) white girls...white people in general...can't dance.

My issue with the statement from the article, being that I am black and from the south, I know EXACTLY what "low income African American" is synonymous with...Being totally realistic here, even Ray Charles, dead and blind as he is, can see what that author was really calling people "those twerkers".

Anyway. To answer your question. No Black people (at least this black person) don't take pride in twerking, the vast majority could care less...only because something else is going to roll out soon to give us less to care about twerking. No. We are not hailing Miley Cyrus as the best "crossover" artist since Eminem....heck we don't even want Eminem and yall can have Macklemore back too...Keep your Beiber as well...and Mac Miller... (well we might be okay with him, I'll have to get clarification at the next Black people meeting....).

omg your post are just... idek you get my point of view all the time

We STILL twerkin'?
ermergerd-twerk.jpg

I think that if your athlete had any reference to your gym on their instagram,vine or twitter and posted a twerking video then they could risk removal but if they do not, then they shouldn't be removed from the program. If i went to a girls page and saw a twerking video but before it i saw a video of their team and what gym they were on then yeah, i would understand if they were kicked off no name allstars, but if they had nothing about no name allstars on their page then that is their decision to look like a vulgar child who is craving attention cause in the end twerking has no purpose, it is only used to get the "twerker" some attention from their peers.

I think tweaking is just unclassy. I know my gym would probably flip if someone did that but I know another gym in my state had a team swim party and they took a video of them tweaking in their bikinis and posted it online.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I think tweaking is just unclassy. I know my gym would probably flip if someone did that but I know another gym in my state had a team swim party and they took a video of them tweaking in their bikinis and posted it online.

I think a lot of people find TWEAKING very unclassy.

LOL I'M SORRY I COULDN'T RESIST.

Watch Glee's "The End of Twerk" episode!!!!
Cannot believe I am saying this but perhaps Glee is getting a little more risqué than their target audience should be experiencing. Some of the dance scenes in that episode were quite inappropriate and can't believe the censors allowed them.

Cheer Dad = broke dad

Cannot believe I am saying this but perhaps Glee is getting a little more risqué than their target audience should be experiencing. Some of the dance scenes in that episode were quite inappropriate and can't believe the censors allowed them.

Cheer Dad = broke dad
but i feel like they covered their bums by showing the risky dances throughout the ages like the mashed potatoes

Kind of irrelevant to the thread but a mom I'm friends with on Facebook took a video of her 12 year old daughter attempting to wall twerk to gas pedal and put it on Facebook.

Cheer Dad = broke dad
I'm not really surprised. They've shown a lot of stuff on Glee that isn't really family-appropriate, but it's the reality of what high school kids are doing.

but i feel like they covered their bums by showing the risky dances throughout the ages like the mashed potatoes
Not sure how that was scandalous back on the day but just think a few scenes of twerking they could have left out and still been pushing the envelope so to say. Don't get me wrong about my comment. I just don't think Glee is as family oriented now as it used to be and as some people take it to still be.

Cheer Dad = broke dad

I'm not really surprised. They've shown a lot of stuff on Glee that isn't really family-appropriate, but it's the reality of what high school kids are doing.
Wi never forget when cp when to a teammates Sweet 16 about 4 years back (he was 12-13) and 'grinding' was the in dance. Cp does not look his age and when some girls started dancing with him he was totally confused. Finally told a girl how old he was and put an end to that for the night. Lol

Cheer Dad = broke dad

Back