High School Uca Vs. Nca Camp

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Question for any UCA/NCA Staff and/or coaches who take squads to camps. What do you give to your buddy? Staffers, what would you most appreciate? Every single time we've been to camp, I forget to grab a gift and have to scramble last minute. This year I'm trying to be prepared, but am finding it hard to buy something when I don't know if our camp buddy will be a guy or a girl.

We always give them a team t-shirt and a bow (if it's a female buddy). We also give them a goodie bag that reflect where we came from. My district is outside of Buffalo/Niagara Falls NY so I ask my girls to find about 4 little things that can only be found in our area.

Wow coaches don't get to be with their team at NCA camp during the day? If I was a coach I wouldn't like that either. I'd want to watch and see what they're learning and how the staff is teaching it so I could remember if anyone had questions about the material after camp.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

That's odd! The only time I wasn't with my team at NCA camp (Bryn Mawr) was for about an hour and a half in the morning. It was coach time with the head instructors and cheerobics and spirit/jam dance learning for the girls. I liked this time apart because the girls bonded while learning with all of the staff and other cheerleaders!

We always give them a team t-shirt and a bow (if it's a female buddy). We also give them a goodie bag that reflect where we came from. My district is outside of Buffalo/Niagara Falls NY so I ask my girls to find about 4 little things that can only be found in our area.
Creative! Love it!

Do any staffers have any tips for newbies? I'm not coaching with nca or uca, but a local cheer company in my area. :)

Do any staffers have any tips for newbies? I'm not coaching with nca or uca, but a local cheer company in my area. :)
Always be organized. I have all my stuff in a file folder and all my pens in one pocket. Your backpack should always be organized because you will need to get to things fast. Write your name on everything. Deodorant and body spray NEED to stay in your bag at all times, no one wants to be the smelly staffer!!

Bring more than one pen!! I am always losing mine and have to ask people for other ones. That's one of the biggest non-cheer things I learned rookie year.

Bring mints, tooth brush, tooth paste, makeup, or whatever you need to freshen up after lunch/breaks in your backpack. And wear a watch! I couldn't live without my watch when I was on camps. With NCA is really important to stay on time and that helped me (and the other staffers) keep track of it better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always be organized. I have all my stuff in a file folder and all my pens in one pocket. Your backpack should always be organized because you will need to get to things fast. Write your name on everything. Deodorant and body spray NEED to stay in your bag at all times, no one wants to be the smelly staffer!!
Bring more than one pen!! I am always losing mine and have to ask people for other ones. That's one of the biggest non-cheer things I learned rookie year.
Bring mints, tooth brush, tooth paste, makeup, or whatever you need to freshen up after lunch/breaks in your backpack. And wear a watch! I couldn't live without my watch when I was on camps. With NCA is really important to stay on time and that helped me (and the other staffers) keep track of it better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you guys!! We had a mock camp this past weekend but our real camps start this week. I'm so nervous, but excited!

A big thing to remember if you're nervous about messing up talking or the material is that the kids don't know it yet so if you mess up just give them a drink break and regroup, you can always tell them "hey after watching it we want to make this change" or something along the lines.

A big thing to remember if you're nervous about messing up talking or the material is that the kids don't know it yet so if you mess up just give them a drink break and regroup, you can always tell them "hey after watching it we want to make this change" or something along the lines.
Awesome I'll remember that, thank you!

Practice your "mirrored" motions to every cheer and dance. It will make review & private coaching sessions much easier when you can watch the team while still guiding them through new material.

Back