OT Unc Chapel Hill Academic Fraud

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
SMH... in the end, these kids lose. They're essentially being pimped out by the NCAA, and let's be honest, how many D1 athletes go pro? Very few. The rest graduate with a pitifully low amount of fresh knowledge in their heads. Even if you do go pro, if you're not a SERIOUS standout, a major injury can end your career.
Exactly. Then in the end they get handed a diploma with no real education. It's really sad, actually.

It also diminishes the value of a UNC education. If I was an alumni or a current student, I'd be pretty upset. Other universities may play games with their athletes, but this is so long standing and discredits the entire educational aspect of the program versus the athletic program.

I just wish that schools did take grades into heavier consideration. Especially at smaller schools it's not fair. To think some kid somewhere got rejected from UNC, or UConn, or Kentucky ect, because the star freshman point guard, defensive back ect who was going to lead the team to a National Championship and is going to make the school a boatload of money, but not go to class, took their spot.

I've meet some kids who are star athletes who aren't the brightest and it's sad to know they are here over friends who wanted to be here for an education. I can't speak for all athletes at UNC (save for one athlete who I know personally) but to think of the money spent letting some kid who won't work at all play a sport, instead of a kid financially struggling is sickening, especially thinking of kids who don't end up going to the school because the school doesn't have the money.

ETA the schools listed are not small, but are very good schools academically and in sports.

Last edited:
It also diminishes the value of a UNC education. If I was an alumni or a current student, I'd be pretty upset. Other universities may play games with their athletes, but this is so long standing and discredits the entire educational aspect of the program versus the athletic program.

If the alumni or current students degree was in African American studies then absolutely yes but otherwise I'd disagree. This investigation has been going on for 5 years and during that time undergraduate applicants have increased. There's over 250 other programs at UNC that have no part in this investigation.

If the alumni or current students degree was in African American studies then absolutely yes but otherwise I'd disagree. This investigation has been going on for 5 years and during that time undergraduate applicants have increased. There's over 250 other programs at UNC that have no part in this investigation.
I love UNC - it was my top choice of schools, but I still feel this is an issue that affects the entire academic population.

I just wish that schools did take grades into heavier consideration. Especially at smaller schools it's not fair. To think some kid somewhere got rejected from UNC, or UConn, or Kentucky ect, because the star freshman point guard, defensive back ect who was going to lead the team to a National Championship and is going to make the school a boatload of money, but not go to class, took their spot.

I've meet some kids who are star athletes who aren't the brightest and it's sad to know they are here over friends who wanted to be here for an education. I can't speak for all athletes at UNC (save for one athlete who I know personally) but to think of the money spent letting some kid who won't work at all play a sport, instead of a kid financially struggling is sickening, especially thinking of kids who don't end up going to the school because the school doesn't have the money.

ETA the schools listed are not small, but are very good schools academically and in sports.

I agree with you. My daughter's college counselor said to her the very first day that she needs to push her high school grades even higher to get into UNC unless her family's name is on a building or she's going to get recruited for the women's soccer team, neither of which has or will happen. Unfortunately with the money that D1 sports brings into ALL universities I do not see that part changing anywhere.

:shimmy:

But now I have a question... how many of those 3100 students were student-athletes? It seems as though it's not just them engaging in cheating. I'm not surprised. Academic infidelity seems to happen more at the more prestigious schools.

People could protest this by boycotting collegiate sporting events, but we all know that's not going to happen.

I agree with you. My daughter's college counselor said to her the very first day that she needs to push her high school grades even higher to get into UNC unless her family's name is on a building or she's going to get recruited for the women's soccer team, neither of which has or will happen. Unfortunately with the money that D1 sports brings into ALL universities I do not see that part changing anywhere.

I applied as a A student, difficult course load, ton of leadership that I actually took seriously, and because no matter how you slice it, matters, a upper-middle class black student. I got in everywhere I applied, many of which were top ranked D1 schools but nothing like my two top choices, UMD and Richmond. I got into UMD, I got waitlisted at Richmond. My HS is in Virginia and has a strong relationship with UR because of our minority achievement program, and have sent students there every year.

1 student from my class got in. He's a Georgetown on a full scholarship.

The schools admissions rate is so small, the freshman class being 600 students, and the school is actually competitive in D1 sports. How many students are missing that chance because of athletics? Mind you this is a private institution so money is important.

When you consider events like this and the decade-long cheating scandal in Atlanta (which has likely gone on in other cities as well), it makes you want to weep for this country.

But now I have a question... how many of those 3100 students were student-athletes? It seems as though it's not just them engaging in cheating. I'm not surprised. Academic infidelity seems to happen more at the more prestigious schools.

People could protest this by boycotting collegiate sporting events, but we all know that's not going to happen.
"Overall, approximately 1,871 student-athletes (47.6 percent of the paper class enrollments) were enrolled in the shadow curriculum. Of that total, 1,189 were football and men's basketball players."

from here: The 5 most important details from UNC's academics report - SBNation.com

My sister's friend had a 35 on the ACT and was one of our valedictorians and didn't get accepted to UNC. It upsets me that meanwhile these athletes are cruising along. I know a guy who signed to play in college before he had ever taken the ACT. And believe me his grades aren't good either. How can you commit before you know if you meet admissions requirements? Colleges could at least pretend to not be bending rules for athletes....

My sister's friend had a 35 on the ACT and was one of our valedictorians and didn't get accepted to UNC. It upsets me that meanwhile these athletes are cruising along. I know a guy who signed to play in college before he had ever taken the ACT. And believe me his grades aren't good either. How can you commit before you know if you meet admissions requirements? Colleges could at least pretend to not be bending rules for athletes....
A lot of schools have a habit of over-signing from their allotted class number for this very reason. I follow South Carolina recruiting a little and I know they will usually sign 2 or 3 athletes over the 25(30ish? depends on the year) scholarships they have available. It ALWAYS evens itself out because of the handful of signees who don't make the grades. They can usually appeal through the summer and if they are denied again by the school, they are free to go D1 elsewhere or junior college for a year and try again the following year. Any extra scholarships they end up with they can hand out to walk-ons before the fall.

The oversigning always made me nervous, with promising an athlete a full scholarship and POSSIBLY not being able to honor it. But it literally always works out every year with athletes who don't qualify. It's pretty interesting to me.

I'm not surprised.... Actually I wouldn't be surprised at all if the really big schools do the same thing for their athletes, such as Fsu, Michigan, Kentucky, Alabama.... Heck the list goes on. Are people really this shocked:confused:

Back