OT Unc Chapel Hill Academic Fraud

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I'm not surprised.... Actually I wouldn't be surprised at all if the really big schools do the same thing for their athletes, such as Fsu, Michigan, Kentucky, Alabama.... Heck the list goes on. Are people really this shocked:confused:
I'm not at all surprised that schools bend the rules for athletes. Like I said, I went to a large SEC school (who was winning during my time there. Now, ehhh) and saw some of it myself. But nothing along these lines.

The thing that is so alarming about this issue is how widespread it was. OVER 3,000 (half of them athletes) were enrolled in these paper classes and cruised on through keeping it under wraps. For 18 years! Now it's finally coming to light and you have UNC athletes coming out of the woodwork backing up the claim and saying they would in no way have been academically eligible without this program. Then obviously you have the professors, athletic support staff and academic advisers who were in on it as well. It goes so far beyond a teacher bumping an athlete up a couple points or giving them some extra time on a paper.

I'm not at all surprised that schools bend the rules for athletes. Like I said, I went to a large SEC school (who was winning during my time there. Now, ehhh) and saw some of it myself. But nothing along these lines.

The thing that is so alarming about this issue is how widespread it was. OVER 3,000 (half of them athletes) were enrolled in these paper classes and cruised on through keeping it under wraps. For 18 years! Now it's finally coming to light and you have UNC athletes coming out of the woodwork backing up the claim and saying they would in no way have been academically eligible without this program. Then obviously you have the professors, athletic support staff and academic advisers who were in on it as well. It goes so far beyond a teacher bumping an athlete up a couple points or giving them some extra time on a paper.

Look I really don't want to defend this anymore than I already have because bottom line is that it's pretty bad in of itself. In addition I've "known" you for years even before you went to that big SEC school :p so I don't even like getting in these debates. However, athletes aren't "coming out of the woodwork". In actuality many more athletes have spoken up and said they were not encouraged to take these classes then the ones that were. Doesn't excuse any of it. I just want to keep it in perspective.

In addition it was ONE department. While athletes were definitely cruising through AAS classes there has been no evidence or even suggestion that any other academic departments were affected. I'd venture to guess that athletes had more than AAS classes on their schedules.

Look I really don't want to defend this anymore than I already have because bottom line is that it's pretty bad in of itself. In addition I've "known" you for years even before you went to that big SEC school :p so I don't even like getting in these debates. However, athletes aren't "coming out of the woodwork". In actuality many more athletes have spoken up and said they were not encouraged to take these classes then the ones that were. Doesn't excuse any of it. I just want to keep it in perspective.

In addition it was ONE department. While athletes were definitely cruising through AAS classes there has been no evidence or even suggestion that any other academic departments were affected. I'd venture to guess that athletes had more than AAS classes on their schedules.
I completely understand! And it's not my intention to slam the school, just the program and those involved in this whole situation. I definitely know not everyone was guilty. I was just explaining to the other poster why this is being looked at as such a big deal in comparison to other NCAA reports. It boils down to the longevity and size of this shadow curriculum program. And of course, this could be happening at other schools. But this is the first of this magnitude to get "called out" if you will.

Special treatment happens at every school. I go to bowling green which is a d1 MAC school.. My best friend is dating a starting offensive lineman whom I am also friends with and the amount of special treatment he gets in classes is insane. I can't even count the number of times where he's missed deadlines for exams and assignments and was allowed to make it up without a penalty.

Special treatment happens at every school. I go to bowling green which is a d1 MAC school.. My best friend is dating a starting offensive lineman whom I am also friends with and the amount of special treatment he gets in classes is insane. I can't even count the number of times where he's missed deadlines for exams and assignments and was allowed to make it up without a penalty.
It even happens in high schools... It's ridiculous

UNC will NEVER be able to wipe this stain from their reputation.

It even happens in high schools... It's ridiculous
Yup. It's even a running joke in pop culture: the star of the basketball team takes a makeup test after school (because he missed class :rolleyes:) and he fails it but the teacher gives him a C because he's an athlete.

UNC will NEVER be able to wipe this stain from their reputation.

Yup. It's even a running joke in pop culture: the star of the basketball team takes a makeup test after school (because he missed class :rolleyes:) and he fails it but the teacher gives him a C because he's an athlete.
Unfortunately until we as a country stop treating athletes - both HS and college - as rock stars and royalty, and start putting academics over sports, this behavior will not end.

Last edited:
My sister's friend had a 35 on the ACT and was one of our valedictorians and didn't get accepted to UNC. It upsets me that meanwhile these athletes are cruising along. I know a guy who signed to play in college before he had ever taken the ACT. And believe me his grades aren't good either. How can you commit before you know if you meet admissions requirements? Colleges could at least pretend to not be bending rules for athletes....
Taking the ACT is not an admissions requirement. I'm a UNC student and never took the ACT, but I definitely agree. Most of the UNC athletes I have met are actually very intelligent but I have met a few dook athletes that definitely did not get in based on there academics.

Unfortunately until we as a country stop treating athletes - both HS and college - as rock stars and royalty, and start putting academics over sports, this behavior will not end.
Unfortunately, that will never stop. I give you a year contract to throw an orange ball into an orange hoop versus a year contract to teach inner city students how to read.

It's pretty obvious what this country values...and what it doesn't.

Taking the ACT is not an admissions requirement. I'm a UNC student and never took the ACT, but I definitely agree. Most of the UNC athletes I have met are actually very intelligent but I have met a few dook athletes that definitely did not get in based on there academics.
It wasn't UNC

Unfortunately, that will never stop. I give you a year contract to throw an orange ball into an orange hoop versus a year contract to teach inner city students how to read.

It's pretty obvious what this country values...and what it doesn't.
Sadly it comes down to the mighty dollar. Big sports programs bring big money which ultimately benefits the academics and other programs.

Back