Undercutting Backhandspring??

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 11, 2012
When I do my standing bhs I look back and watch my hands as they hit the ground. This is causing me to undercut really badly. I have tried watching the ceiling and the wall whileI throw it but i always end up at my hands. What can I do to break this habit??

speaking specifically about your hands, think hands first rather than head first when going backwards. You shouldn't be able to really look at your hands, instead you want to "peek" at your hands. Try a back walkover or even a fall to bridge. If you notice your head going first or your head pulling out then you're likely doing the same in your back handspring. Open up the shoulders instead.

You have to remember that you should be jumping back and stretching through your shoulders; your back should be doing little to nothing at all. Remember to take a big jump right after you lean, and stretch your shoulders a lot. Do bridges to stretch your shoulders. There's not much you can do about the head; it happens because of bigger technical issues. When you fix those issues, your head isn't going to throw backward.

If you are undercutting most likely your knees are going forward in the set. Make sure your chest is over your toes and your back is straight (not arched) and that you push back (fall a bit) before jumping. Do some set drills where you set your backhandspring and jump onto a crash mat and *if you don't have a coach present to help you* get someone to film you so you can see where your knees are going in the set.

This is all without actually seeing you do the skill of course. GOOD LUCK!

Back