All-Star Uniforms 21-22

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

God help me I like the fringe.

GOD HELP ME I LIKE THE FRINGE.

Practicality aside, I think it’ll look super dramatic on stage. And I think it was a good choice to taper it down around the skirt so it’s not super overwhelming. Just a flourish is fine.

I do not like the “steel” panel. Nothing else about this uni screams steel. Just lean into the “cats” part of the brand with the claw scratches and go with that.

God help me I like the fringe.

GOD HELP ME I LIKE THE FRINGE.

Practicality aside, I think it’ll look super dramatic on stage. And I think it was a good choice to taper it down around the skirt so it’s not super overwhelming. Just a flourish is fine.

I do not like the “steel” panel. Nothing else about this uni screams steel. Just lean into the “cats” part of the brand with the claw scratches and go with that.
🤣Are you thinking clearly?! Look again! Then think…vivaaaaa Las Vegas.🤣 But seriously cheer shouldn’t be a theme. It should be sporty.
1641080645580.gif

🤣Are you thinking clearly?! Look again! Then think…vivaaaaa Las Vegas.🤣 But seriously cheer shouldn’t be a theme. It should be sporty. View attachment 989
I have a weakness for sparkles.

To look at me you wouldn’t suspect this. The baseline for my wardrobe is black. All the time.

But Lord help me if I don’t harbor a very aggressive tacky streak that LOVES sparkly everything. Like a tiny Mariah Carey whispering to me, “You could totally make those pink glitter heels work for that christening.”

Last edited:
🤣Are you thinking clearly?! Look again! Then think…vivaaaaa Las Vegas.🤣 But seriously cheer shouldn’t be a theme. It should be sporty. View attachment 989
Can you imagine if children's soccer, lacrosse, basketball, softball, etc. decided one day to put their kid's out on the fields in these uniforms? Or, if children's swim coaches decided to bikini, meat strap, fringe and choke collar their kid's team suits? Can you imagine team owners making excuses to justify children wearing them and parents saying, "OMG, they're so cute."

@Sterling von Shimmer they can do sparkle without creating a Halloween costume for adults and calling it a child's cheer uniform. Ten years ago, females had crop tops and a skirt that looked athletic without looking like some old man's twisted fantasy from Al's Gals.

Here’s the thing about uniforms:

Everything you dream up does not look good on the floor. Unfortunately you don’t know how it’s going to look on the floor until it is actually competed.

I’ve seen some uniforms that I have loved in photos look absolutely terrible on the floor in a routine. There were also some that I hated in pictures that become significantly more tolerable or even attractive in a routine. For example: The most recent Panthers uniform was not my favorite in photos but it does look good when the athletes are actually competing.

But then there are some that are just terrible because of how impractical they are and you could just tell they’re going to look terrible on the floor as well. I am reminded of LJ Cinderella. It just didn’t translate well and it wasn’t functional either.

Can you imagine if children's soccer, lacrosse, basketball, softball, etc. decided one day to put their kid's out on the fields in these uniforms? Or, if children's swim coaches decided to bikini, meat strap, fringe and choke collar their kid's team suits? Can you imagine team owners making excuses to justify children wearing them and parents saying, "OMG, they're so cute."

@Sterling von Shimmer they can do sparkle without creating a Halloween costume for adults and calling it a child's cheer uniform. Ten years ago, females had crop tops and a skirt that looked athletic without looking like some old man's twisted fantasy from Al's Gals.
love that answer!!!! I dont get why uniforms have to be all glitz and glam and costumy and cost an arm and a leg!!!!

love that answer!!!! I dont get why uniforms have to be all glitz and glam and costumy and cost an arm and a leg!!!!
I have seen parents get very mad when they weren't. Many times parents pressure gym owners for blinged-out, expensive uniforms. I have even seen parents request day 1 & day 2 Uniforms.

I feel like cheer is still sorting itself out in terms of what works in a uniform since cheer straddles both sporty and performative spheres.

There are always going to be those showy flourishes on unis since cheer does take place on a stage and those elements (when done well) can enhance your performance. Whether it’s bows that unify everyone’s hairstyles or uni designs that highlight synchronised choreography (side panels are my fave), those flashy elements aren’t going anywhere. Nor should they. Cheer is performative. It plays to an audience. An audience responds to visual effects. The unis should reflect that. Sports like soccer and swimming do not operate in that realm. Cheer unis should be showy.

Now, how far that showiness should go is up for debate. (For instance I like sparkles that enhance movement. I don’t like chokers which are hazardous and add nothing visually.)

But I don’t think denying the showiness factor completely in the name of sportiness is the answer. Because here’s my thing: the flashy flourishes that have come to define cheer are largely considered inherently feminine (bows, makeup, etc.). By suggesting that cheerleaders cannot be taken seriously while embracing these things, it’s like saying that a feminine appearance precludes them from being “real” athletes. Because if something is feminine, it can’t be that hard, right?

We can be both flashy and athletic. We kind of have to be; the nature of cheer as a performative sport demands it.

In conclusion, yes to responsibly-executed visual elements on unis. The “girlier” the better.

No to chokers, though. Or any hyper-sexualized uni on a child because it’s “cute.” That’s always creeped me out ever since my old dance studio put five-year-olds in Madonna costumes.

Last edited:
I always feel like you know when the line has been crossed when you see it.

Ex: I’m not a particularly conservative person. I love a sparkly uniform. Ex: I loved the navy LL with the crystals. I can even tolerate certain themes.

But I can tell you I did a big NOPE to the Cheer Savannah French Maid. And that one TGLC uni with the straps. The line of creepy/weird is right there and you crossed it.

I feel like cheer is still sorting itself out in terms of what works in a uniform since cheer straddles both sporty and performative spheres.

There are always going to be those showy flourishes on unis since cheer does take place on a stage and those elements (when done well) can enhance your performance. Whether it’s bows that unify everyone’s hairstyles or uni designs that highlight synchronised choreography (side panels are my fave), those flashy elements aren’t going anywhere. Nor should they. Cheer is performative. It plays to an audience. An audience responds to visual effects. The unis should reflect that. Sports like soccer and swimming do not operate in that realm. Cheer unis should be showy.

Now, how far that showiness should go is up for debate. (For instance I like sparkles that enhance movement. I don’t like chokers which are hazardous and add nothing visually.)

But I don’t think denying the showiness factor completely in the name of sportiness is the answer. Because here’s my thing: the flashy flourishes that have come to define cheer are largely considered inherently feminine (bows, makeup, etc.). By suggesting that cheerleaders cannot be taken seriously while embracing these things, it’s like saying that a feminine appearance precludes them from being “real” athletes. Because if something is feminine, it can’t be that hard, right?

We can be both flashy and athletic. We kind of have to be; the nature of cheer as a performative sport demands it.

In conclusion, yes to responsibly-executed visual elements on unis. The “girlier” the better.

No to chokers, though. Or any hyper-sexualized uni on a child because it’s “cute.” That’s always creeped me out ever since my old dance studio put five-year-olds in Madonna costumes.
No one said it's an either/or situation. You can have performance leaning uniforms without crossing the line. The Arabian Princess in a child's performance of the Nutcracker is a perfect example of how appropriate and inappropriate you can get with a child's costume.

Remember, these are adults in a service industry deciding how they want your children, or you, representing and promoting their brand. Go look at gyms Instagram's, look at the number of followers, and their type of posts. Gyms that tend to have team pics and cover their children up have a lot fewer followers than those that post individual candid cheerleaders pics in their uniforms. It's not rocket science. An adult that is marketing their brand and responding to likes and follows thinks differently than an adult that has the child's best interest in mind. I've seen some of the best HS competitive performing teams and have yet to think twice about their uniforms.

I like the top but not the skirts
I think it's going to depend on how the skirts look in motion. Rebel put up one of those fancy video reveals, but it only shows a guy tumbling, which is a little silly IMO because pants pretty much look the same tumbling and standing still.

Back