All-Star University Of Alabama Cheerleaders Not Getting Champion Rings Because Cheerleading Is Not A Sport

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

King

Is all about that bass
Staff member
FBOD:LLFB
Dec 4, 2009
We have heard time and time again that cheerleaders are athletes. We have heard how wanting to be considered a sport for the recognition is wrong and comes with unintended consequences. Maybe this is a time when not being considered a sport has come with unintended consequences. Well, here is a situation where I would like yall's opinion.

Competitive college cheerleading is NOT considered a sport (hence why there is stunt and NCATA coming up). But because it isnt even recognized what we do competitively is much of anything the University of Alabama will not be getting their National Champion cheerleaders their rings. Or, if they pay for them, let them use the University's 'A' on the ring for their design. See article here:

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/artic...Title=Cheerleaders-at-odds-with-UA-over-rings

Things like this are not uncommon (I had heard Bama was going to go ground bound for years and I cheered for a school that barely recognized us at all) and with the internet all these situations just become a lot more visible. If we cant get the people in our own sport to recognize what it is, its kinda hard to get anyone outside of us to as well.

One last point: The University of Louisville has been extremely successful in NCA collegiate cheerleading. So much so I remember an article on them being in the Rolling Stone for how successful they have been. When I drive up to Chicago I actually pass through Louisville. They seem like an extremely proud college town with Cards everywhere and images and pictures of all their sports teams all over the university. I looked for (cause I am a cheer geek) something somewhere while driving through that showed their most successful and winning program. I didn't see anything.

Love journalists! He says in the article:
In fact, Olson said Kentucky cheerleaders actually use their rings in their routine by putting their hands together and forming a large K with the rings.

No. They can't wear their rings during competition. They put the rings on the floor, in front of the competition mat.

“The University of Alabama congratulates our cheerleader squad on winning the UCA cheerleading competition,” Walker said in a release. “The Athletics Department typically awards rings to intercollegiate athletic teams. The rules, policies and guidelines governing the roles and activities of cheerleaders have been consistent for the past several years, and were in place before the squad participated in the UCA event.”
McDowell could not be reached for comment.
Upon hearing the news, the cheerleaders decided to purchase rings with their own money. But they say they were told by the university they would not be allowed to use the school’s script A logo in the design, since it is trademarked.
By all accounts, the university’s stance on competition cheerleading is rather hazy. After the UA squad won the national championship, the university did not send out any news releases to announce it. University officials offered little help when Tuscaloosa News reporters tried to reach team members after their win on Jan. 16.

I think this is a decision by UA and not Jeff Webb. I will bet you Jeff Webb really wants these cheerleaders to get recognition for their athletic excellence. Even if they will not purchase them through the department, they should let the squad buy them using the school's script. Rediculous and nothing to do with Varsity.

I think this is a decision by UA and not Jeff Webb. I will bet you Jeff Webb really wants these cheerleaders to get recognition for their athletic excellence. Even if they will not purchase them through the department, they should let the squad buy them using the school's script. Rediculous and nothing to do with Varsity.

I agree there is nothing direct with Varsity or Mr. Webb. But I do think the the turmoil in our own cheer culture doesn't help. You are or are not for cheerleading being considered a sport. If you are not, why not just ground bound Bama? Heck, the AA may hate the fact that their 'cheerleaders' won a championship and ground bound them out of spite. Mark my words, someday a university will do that.

And it stems from the fact WE can't even figure out if it is a sport.

Wow that is so upsetting. Such an accomplishment for them to just brush over like it means nothing :(. On a positive note, I read on facebook that the first STUNT competition is today??

I agree there is nothing direct with Varsity or Mr. Webb. But I do think the the turmoil in our own cheer culture doesn't help. You are or are not for cheerleading being considered a sport. If you are not, why not just ground bound Bama? Heck, the AA may hate the fact that their 'cheerleaders' won a championship and ground bound them out of spite. Mark my words, someday a university will do that.

And it stems from the fact WE can't even figure out if it is a sport.

You and I are completely on the same page about all of this, so preach on while I sing.

The University can pull his quote from the court case where Jeff Webb said "cheerleading is not a sport". The University can take that quote and say "even the President of Varsity, which produces the UCA competitions, says that cheerleading is not a sport". I didn't mean to imply that Jeff was saying that they shouldn't get rings.

If Nick Saban went to the A.D. and explained how much he appreciated the cheerleading team, they would have championship rings paid for by the athletic department right away.

It's amazing the correlation between the appreciation of basketball/football coaches to cheerleading relevancy at a university.

This sucks for the Alabama athletes who've battled the odds and secured an epic win only for it to be swept under the rug by the very University they represent! Its sad but brings to light issues surrounding cheerleading as a sport at the collegiate level.

The Louisville Cheerleaders always get rings when they win - however, the cheerleaders have to pay for them. On a side note - getting ready to leave for the stunt competition - I will let everyone know how it goes!

I was always under the impression that you paid for your own ring, even at Louisville, UK and Morehead. However, the University isn't even giving them permission to use the school logo on their rings.

I think its the disdain most universities have for the cheerleaders that is really upsetting. I do think they should give them rings (what, Alabama strapped for cash and doesn't have enough money to foot the bill?). But even if they didn't the fact they dont allow them to use the 'A' shows they do not think this is an honor for their university.

I think its the disdain most universities have for the cheerleaders that is really upsetting. I do think they should give them rings (what, Alabama strapped for cash and doesn't have enough money to foot the bill?). But even if they didn't the fact they dont allow them to use the 'A' shows they do not think this is an honor for their university.

I agree completely! It's fine for the university to exploit the cheerleaders when it serves them (appearances at alumni events, fundraisers, community events), but when it comes to the university footing the bill for rings-they're just not important enough for that.

The University can pull his quote from the court case where Jeff Webb said "cheerleading is not a sport". The University can take that quote and say "even the President of Varsity, which produces the UCA competitions, says that cheerleading is not a sport". I didn't mean to imply that Jeff was saying that they shouldn't get rings.

I understand, but if the institution was looking to support and reward the cheer program they would not need the quote. We agree I suspect, on about everything, but I'm saying the UA decision is their own, and they should receive the criticism.

Back