All-Star University Of Alabama Cheerleaders Not Getting Champion Rings Because Cheerleading Is Not A Sport

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think its the disdain most universities have for the cheerleaders that is really upsetting. I do think they should give them rings (what, Alabama strapped for cash and doesn't have enough money to foot the bill?). But even if they didn't the fact they dont allow them to use the 'A' shows they do not think this is an honor for their university.

"how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me"

Getting a "ring" is always such a motivating factor when going to compete at College Nationals, this is just sad. I know some schools make you pay for them some schools don't, regardless what is the harm? They had no problem letting them wear the uniform that represents the University on the floor? They had no problem letting them use the school cheer? I will throw some blame on Mr. Webb, and I do see how his comments could come back to bite UA. Can someone answer my question on a previous thread, WHY is UCA COLLEGE Nationals the ONLY cheerleading event that doesn't offer Jackets to their Champion? NCA College does so Varsity apparently doesn't have a problem with it and if your school pays for a ring or not you would have something prestigious to wear proudly or just to hang in the closet (which is where my rings and jackets have ended up) but regardless the athlete would have SOMETHING. Ultimately the athletes and coaches of the University of Alabama suffer, just sucks!!!

The Louisville Cheerleaders always get rings when they win - however, the cheerleaders have to pay for them. On a side note - getting ready to leave for the stunt competition - I will let everyone know how it goes!

That is what I always thought. I was under the impression that if you wanted a ring you had to pay for it yourself. Now if the school is keeping them from even paying for their own rings because they won't let them use their logo that is just awful. I hope that they do get their rings and that they turn out to be beautiful. Those cheerleaders have worked their tails off for years and years to get this moment and it would be sad for the school to be that selfish.

this is extremely sad to hear, they worked so hard to earn the rings and now they dont even get them. I know they would rather have the school buy them but worse comes to worse they could do a fundraiser to raise money to buy them, just because the school says shouldnt mean they dont get their deserved reward.

Do UK cheerleaders have to pay for there own rings? I remember when Minnesota won their first championship in dance Varsity did a story about the Athletic Department surprising them with their rings.

Louisville has a full page ad in their Football program with pictures of both cheer and dance Congratulating both their Cheerleading and Dance Teams on the previous year results as well as their history of National Championships. They also have painted on the sidewalk leading up to the Football stadium these accomplishments as well along with the other Sports.

I was unaware that something had to be a "sport" in order for it to be worthy of recognition. Regardless of how the school feels about cheerleading, a National Championship is a National Championship. Even if they won the National Basket Weaving Championship, if a ring is the usual form of recognition, then why shouldn't they have it??? I don't see where it being a sport or not should have any bearing on whether or not they deserve a ring.

And I totally agree--it was OK to use the logo on the floor, and it was OK to use the school name and cheer on the floor...why on earth back out now? For such a huge school, I'm surprised they'd be so against ANYTHING with the word "National Champions" in it.

I'm really perplexed by this. It's FREE ADVERTISING for the school. It's a huge accomplishment (regardless of the sport or activity). Also, it was on the main page of the university website the week after they won. This just makes no sense. I can understand the university saying that for financial reasons they couldn't pay for the team's rings, but I just don't understand why they won't allow them to use the logo when they are the university's official cheer team.
I can see other teams, that are not the official cheer team-but a competitive club team, where the university may say no to them. For example, the West Virginia team that competed today at Stunt is a competitive cheer club team. They are not the official university cheer team (who only does sideline cheer). They won NCA All Girl last year, and I could understand if the University said "no rings, you're not the official team". I don't know what their ring situation is/was.

The high school I went to was Loudon High School, and when they wanted to get uniforms similar to the ones UofL wore to nationals in 2008 (white, wtih red old english L), varsity would not let them use the Louisville old english L cause it was trademarked/copywrited, IDK the details, but the rep simply told the coach have some one draw an old english L and fax the picture over and then they would be able to use it. Maybe bama should ask about submitting their version/drawing of the famous alabama A, and see if that helps their situation any towards at least getting a ring that can represent their win and university, even if it means paying for it themselves. (and if I had just beat UK, I would do whatever it took to get that on my finger).

The high school I went to was Loudon High School, and when they wanted to get uniforms similar to the ones UofL wore to nationals in 2008 (white, wtih red old english L), varsity would not let them use the Louisville old english L cause it was trademarked/copywrited, IDK the details, but the rep simply told the coach have some one draw an old english L and fax the picture over and then they would be able to use it. Maybe bama should ask about submitting their version/drawing of the famous alabama A, and see if that helps their situation any towards at least getting a ring that can represent their win and university, even if it means paying for it themselves. (and if I had just beat UK, I would do whatever it took to get that on my finger).
They should not have to get a different logo than the "A" they proudly represent on the football field, or the "A" they pay money to be educated by. Yes there are ways around it but they shouldn't have to.

UK and Morehead State are very well supported by their University across the board with funding and everything ( a wonderful thing to see) Louisville as everyone as stated correctly get's a lot of University backing because these three Universities understand completely the total aspect of University Wide! We have to do better folks, Bama should get rings and The University needs to pay for them. I mean the Football Team's Net Profit is like 24 million dollars a year and the AD doesnt want to get them rings? that's a sad day, I mean i would hope that Varsity would call the AD and encourage them to change their minds. I'm sure if this makes NATIONAL News they will do something about it trust me. But Cheerleaders work just as hard (if not harder at some schools) than other sports. Our sport doesn't have a season in College Cheerleading we cheer Year round for many different sports and pep rallies and other campus or university support events. MissBee you are correct in that the University can (and most will because they are like this) use Jeff Webb's under oath statements against the Cheerleaders to prove their point. Trust me I know FIU's AD just cut our cheer program and kept the Dance Team ( cause they were always half naked) see where this is going? now we are a club and the university wants everything from us but doesnt want to return us to the status before. This is just a mess and will continue to be until we stand up TOGETHER and take action.

I hope they make a stink about this. I don't think the University would want negative press over something so great as a National Championship.

I think if there is a big enough stink about it that the University will give in and allow them to use the logo but I don't see them shelling out the money for the rings. The way I understand it most schools make you pay for your own and I am sure that UA cheerleaders have no problem with that if they could just use the logo they represent everyday.

I'm really perplexed by this. It's FREE ADVERTISING for the school. It's a huge accomplishment (regardless of the sport or activity). Also, it was on the main page of the university website the week after they won. This just makes no sense. I can understand the university saying that for financial reasons they couldn't pay for the team's rings, but I just don't understand why they won't allow them to use the logo when they are the university's official cheer team.
I can't. Say the rings cost $500 a piece, 16 competitors, a couple coaches and alternates and you're looking at 10 grand for 20 rings. Saban makes approximately 4 million a year to coach the football team. $10,000 is POINT 25% of his yearly salary, I think they can swing it.

I have heard on several occasions that Mal Moore (Alabama A.D.) has never been a fan of cheerleading.

Back