All-Star Unpopular Opinions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

JBS

Staff member
FBOD:LLFB
Oct 3, 2021
unpopular-opinions-text.jpg

Hindsight is always 20/20. For those seasoned parents / coaches / cheerleaders, what are some unpopular opinions that you have about cheer in general?​

This idea comes from our sister site ChalkBucket (gymnastics forum). Here is a link to it over there...

It’s OK if your kids are not in the gym every second of the day. It’s OK if they have other interests and school activities or play other sports. Every single day of their lives need not be filled with privates or classes. It is entirely possible for kids to gain skills without being in the gym seven days a week and sacrificing every other interest they have.

After the majority age out, or after college, the jackets/rings/uniforms go into a box in storage and your kid's will move on quickly. Those skills you spent many thousands on, will rarely, or never, get thrown again.

Spend only what your budget allows, focus on the life lessons, and time with family.

Worlds, Summit, various other year-end comps are not special. The entire season doesn't come down to 2.5 mins

Being involved in things other than cheer is a good thing. Burnout is real.

It’s OK if your kid doesn’t age out on a worlds team. Most of them don’t.

Those kids you see on social media who are nine and 10-years-old with level six tumbling are literally the 1%. Don’t go spending up all your money on privates to get your kid to progress lkme that because it probably won’t happen.

Also unpopular, but a lot of young children who rushed through lower levels to higher level skills quickly have questionable technique.

Not everyone can be a worlds athlete or win worlds. If your athlete wants to quit cheer to pursue other things, let them!
Please don’t be that cheer parent or athlete that gets mad because you didn’t make the team or level you wanted, or you didn’t get the spot you wanted. Coaches know best…I promise you they do.

I wish worlds was like how it used to be: levels 5 and 6 (now 6 and 7), and separated by team size and all girl/coed. Seeing how bloated it's become kind of killed the prestige of the event.

I liked the idea of summit with the 1-4 levels having a big end of year comp ala worlds.

It’s OK if your kids are not in the gym every second of the day. It’s OK if they have other interests and school activities or play other sports. Every single day of their lives need not be filled with privates or classes. It is entirely possible for kids to gain skills without being in the gym seven days a week and sacrificing every other interest they have.
Not everyone can be a worlds athlete or win worlds. If your athlete wants to quit cheer to pursue other things, let them!
Please don’t be that cheer parent or athlete that gets mad because you didn’t make the team or level you wanted, or you didn’t get the spot you wanted. Coaches know best…I promise you they do.
I agree whole heartedly with this. Athletes need to celebrate where they are. My level 2 daughter won athlete of the year last year - she is not the best in the gym. But the best she can be; dedicated, works hard, coachable, and a great teammate. She will age out at a 3 maybe level 4. But will have given it her all every single time she is on the may competition or practice

After the majority age out, or after college, the jackets/rings/uniforms go into a box in storage and your kid's will move on quickly. Those skills you spent many thousands on, will rarely, or never, get thrown again.

Spend only what your budget allows, focus on the life lessons, and time with family.

Love this one! Can pretty much apply this to most youth sports.

Glad to see this thread taking off... what else does everyone have?

More people should use Custom Grooves for their mixes. At least they sound interesting and are somewhat unique from mix to mix, and in my opinion, sound really good. Too many mixes sound way too similar and awful (though that is a very popular opinion I'm sure lol)

Back