All-Star Unpopular Opinions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

to me it just looks like penguins aggressively slapping the side 'coz they lost a meal. a pet peeve of mine in recent years.
When I coached, if they were cleaning too big, I would say they look like birds trying to fly away 😂

It’s more a technique thing, but after it was posted here by @AndyT_T in 2017, I’ve always internally cringed any time I see kids pulling needles incorrectly. I’d rather see a clean scorpion or teams not even utilising the body position if they aren’t going to have proper progression. Similarly, I’d also rather not see people pulling Bow & Arrows if they are going to have a flexed foot on the end of it!

Maybe an unpopular opinion, maybe not…

I feel like there’s been an overall decline in tumbling ability in recent years, and it’s not just because we’re encouraging better technique and slower, proper progressions.

I think the creation of The Summit and allowing Non-Tumbling at Worlds has given athletes less incentive to work on their tumbling. There’s less urgency to start signing up Suzy for tumbling lessons by the time she’s 7, because Mom knows that down the road Suzy can easily get to Worlds without knowing how to tumble at all. Likewise, Suzy can get a big trip to Florida at the end of every year (Summit, ASW, whatever) without knowing how to tumble much either.

A decline in tumbling will slide Allstar closer and closer in resemblance to School cheer. And in that case, plenty of kids will choose School cheer instead because of how much less expensive it is.

I feel like there is no room in D2 for more than a handful of non Tumblers especially with the score sheet changes this year. At our gym they are moving non tumblers down to where they can tumble regardless of stunt ability.

Latest posts

Back