All-Star Usasf Age Grid To Be Released Soon!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Small & Medium Coed will field alot of teams at Worlds/ Small & Medium All Girl will field alot of teams at Worlds. There will be like 3 teams in Large all-girl & maybe 8 teams in Large Coed. I really don't understand 30 though. Why 30??? Why wouldn't Medium be 28? 21-28 Medium, 29-36 Large??? 8 and 8 is equal, I really don't get that one, and would love an explanation for that one. Overall, I'm quite OK with the new age grid. I think the USASF has done a great job considering the long and complex process. Hats off to them for what they have accomplished. Of course it's not perfect and I don't agree with anything, but hey...You can't please everyone!

There are a couple of reasons for 30. If you take out stunts (which would be the only odd thing for 30) 30 is a nice natural progression from 20. It is 50% more. It is a number that is really easy to understand by people not in cheerleading. It also leaves two spots for either built in alternates OR front spots for girls who are maybe good tumblers and not good stunters. While that doesn't matter for the top 2 or 3 gyms, for everyone below that this can be a great thing. You now have a team for your kid who tumbles all the time but is maybe a level 3ish stunter. I have coached a 30 team all year long and it actually works exactly as I thought it would.

I agree with this statement: "Small & Medium Coed will field alot of teams at Worlds/ Small & Medium All Girl will field alot of teams at Worlds. There will be like 3 teams in Large all-girl & maybe 8 teams in Large Coed." So if this is the case why wasn't the large just kept at 36 or changed to 32/30? It's the number that should or shouldn't be adjusted. An entire division did not need to be added to figure out this issue. Was is not current squad size that was up for discussion at the NACCC meeting?

It is a stop gap solution. Nothing was eliminated, just a division created that will kill off the large divisions in a more natural progression. I am seeing more how this is a stepping stone to getting to where we need to be. And I disagree with the 8 teams in large coed... possibly 3? Lots of people will just enter international now.

It also leaves two spots for either built in alternates OR front spots for girls who are maybe good tumblers and not good stunters. While that doesn't matter for the top 2 or 3 gyms, for everyone below that this can be a great thing.

OH I agree with this 100%, but don't allow it for Medium and not for the other 2 divisions. Make it 22 for small and 38 for Large then!! I love having 2 left over for injuries, tumblers etc. Not fair that it's for Medium and not the other 2.

Then make Large 40!

Then you would have no competition and 40 people on the mat is getting quite crowded. I fail to see how adding a medium division at 30 helps large grow. I just see it sucking all the people out of large.

OH I agree with this 100%, but don't allow it for Medium and not for the other 2 divisions. Make it 22 for small and 38 for Large then!! I love having 2 left over for injuries, tumblers etc. Not fair that it's for Medium and not the other 2.

Really thinking about it I think the goal is getting rid of large. Medium is now gonna allow that to happen.

I personally don't mind 30, 32, or 36. I just don't understand creating additional divisions when some have already suffered tremendous lack of numbers. Large Limited was a consistent division that was eliminated to create divisions that require more male cheerleaders when there just aren't as many males as there are females in cheerleading to warrant such divisions.

I personally don't mind 30, 32, or 36. I just don't understand creating additional divisions when some have already suffered tremendous lack of numbers. Large Limited was a consistent division that was eliminated to create divisions that require more male cheerleaders when there just aren't as many males as there are females in cheerleading to warrant such divisions.

So if no one will allow the large divisions to be changed to increase growth (because the large divisions are dying) what if you created the division you wanted everyone to go to... effectively killing off the large just be natural evolution?

in Calif all girl level 5 teams have been on the decline, this year there are only 5 or 6 in the entire state and we haven't had any large in a couple of years, so I'm interested to see what if any, impact the changes will make. we've never had a youth 5 in this state that i can think of so I don't think we'll be seeing anything change in that division for us.

So if no one will allow the large divisions to be changed to increase growth (because the large divisions are dying) what if you created the division you wanted everyone to go to... effectively killing off the large just be natural evolution?

You have a great point. However isn't the division dwindling down to next to nothing already a natural evolution?

You have a great point. However isn't the division dwindling down to next to nothing already a natural evolution?

Only now there is an alternative to just having small, so we can finish the job. Hard to argue to keep a division with 3 teams in it. And how long can that argument be made until it just seems silly?

I could be completely wrong on this, of course. But isn't the whole reason this discussion is happening is because large has lost so many people? And I don't just mean large all girl, large coed as well.

Only now there is an alternative to just having small, so we can finish the job. Hard to argue to keep a division with 3 teams in it. And how long can that argument be made until it just seems silly?

I could be completely wrong on this, of course. But isn't the whole reason this discussion is happening is because large has lost so many people? And I don't just mean large all girl, large coed as well.

You'd be correct my friend.

I agree that is the path we are on, but I think it is better to rip the bandaid off instead of leaving it dangling half way off for a year or more.

I also thought that we were trying to more to more consistency by only changing things every 2 years, but now we have a few "lets see how this turns out items that will be up for change next season" things going on.

We have also complicated the organization of teams- We voted for a change to 30 by over 10% but instead we got this:
1-4 can have up to 32, but 5 can have 36 or 30 or 24 or 20 but if you have boys you can have 4 if you have 20, 6 if you have 30 kids, or 18 if you have 36 kids or 12 guys if you have 24 but no one under 14. or you can have 18 guys and no girls and still be large coed despite having no girls and less than 20 on the team or if your in 3 or 4 you can have all the boys you want. and we wonder why outsiders are confused.

We also voted by a fairly clear margin to change the ages to 6,9,12,15 and 18 but they decided to go against the vote on that one stating that it "would as a result restrict the advancement of large populations of athletes from advancing a level for the 2011-12 season"
If a kid is not moved up to a higher level it is because that kid is not ready for it. The 6,9,12 or 15 that could have stayed down will now either be on a team that they are not ready for or cause a gym to make a lower level higher aged team to accommodate those kids.

The link wont open at my office would someone open it then copy and paste it for me in a PM? Thanks so much

Back