All-Star Viral Article

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sure, why not. He's a representative of his network and if they think his comments portray the network in a bad light, they have every right to fire him. My answer doesn't change because you put the adjective "liberal" in front of his title.
100% agree!

Maybe its because I'm in a right to work state and I know that even as a librarian, I can be fired the second I do something that represents the system poorly, I'm not bothered by any of this stuff. It sucks that the line between personal and professional constantly gets blurred.... but I gotta eat. But like you said Axelle didn't have anything to lose anyway....besides potential I suppose

Just to clarify, and not really relevant, but this drives me insane.

"Right to work" state does not mean they can fire you at anytime. "At will" employment state is what you mean. The 2 terms are different. I always have employees that tell me we are a right to work state, so they know they can be fired anyway (this is somehow justification for not following rules, because it "doesn't matter anyway").

Sigh, I just want to say to them..."One: no, Illinois is not a right to work state (seriously, we are Union central). Two: that's not what you mean anyway."

"At will" employment states have laws regarding the right of employers (and employees usually) to terminate employment at any time, regardless of reason or prior written documentation. Very few States don't go by this (Alabama is one that doesn't, and does require 'just cause' - hence @ACEDAD 's pov, probably)

"Right to work" gives you the right to work in a chosen field without being forced to join a union or pay Union dues/fees. (obviously not Illinois, since all of our teachers, electricians, road workers, etc that work in the public sector are required to be Union members - and the work cannot be given to non-union workers. Grrrrr.)

OK carry on... Just a pet peeve. :p:oops:

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Just to clarify, and not really relevant, but this drives me insane.

"Right to work" state does not mean they can fire you at anytime. "At will" employment state is what you mean. The 2 terms are different. I always have employees that tell me we are a right to work state, so they know they can be fired anyway (this is somehow justification for not following rules, because it "doesn't matter anyway").

Sigh, I just want to say to them..."One: no, Illinois is not a right to work state (seriously, we are Union central). Two: that's not what you mean anyway."

"At will" employment states have laws regarding the right of employers (and employees usually) to terminate employment at any time, regardless of reason or prior written documentation. Very few States don't go by this (Alabama is one that doesn't, and does require 'just cause' - hence @ACEDAD 's pov, probably)

"Right to work" gives you the right to work in a chosen field without being forced to join a union or pay Union dues/fees. (obviously not Illinois, since all of our teachers, electricians, road workers, etc that work in the public sector are required to be Union members - and the work cannot be given to non-union workers. Grrrrr.)

OK carry on... Just a pet peeve. :p:oops:

Each state has different statutes within their Right to Work Laws. Yes At Will employment is different. No we aren't allowed to unionize in South Carolina. What I meant by my statement is that because of these laws little is done to protect us here. If all of the librarians decide that our pay is unjust (because it is)...we can't go out and picket because its illegal. It's also basically illegal for me to say "Hey Librarian Betty, these librarian conditions suck! I'm going to try to coerce you to join me to formulate change". Basically what we get here...is whats given.....and I sit back and plot my escape....because I can't be joyous about a 1.8% cost of living increase or other struggles they pass on in an attempt to pacify us.

I'd I have a viral twerk video in the library and go have a protest about my salary in front of the library today.... I guarantee that I wont get an explanation for which one got me sent to the unemployment line

These laws keep us on our best behavior

Each state has different statutes within their Right to Work Laws. Yes At Will employment is different. No we aren't allowed to unionize in South Carolina. What I meant by my statement is that because of these laws little is done to protect us here. If all of the librarians decide that our pay is unjust (because it is)...we can't go out and picket because its illegal. It's also basically illegal for me to say "Hey Librarian Betty, these librarian conditions suck! I'm going to try to coerce you to join me to formulate change". Basically what we get here...is whats given.....and I sit back and plot my escape....because I can't be joyous about a 1.8% cost of living increase or other struggles they pass on in an attempt to pacify us.

I'd I have a viral twerk video in the library and go have a protest about my salary in front of the library today.... I guarantee that I wont get an explanation for which one got me sent to the unemployment line

These laws keep us on our best behavior

But "right to work" has nothing to do with hunting photos. I doubt this girl was protesting L'Oréal's working conditions, which is what you guys were talking about - not protesting pay or striking. You said that because you're in a right to work state you could be "fired for doing anything that represents the system poorly" - I took that to mean something like twerk videos or hunting photos, not protesting work conditions or pay. What y'all were discussing definitely falls under at will employment, which 49 States have.

(Side note, what you are talking about is illegal in all 50 States. It most certainly is not illegal to picket in any state. Even in South Carolina. You can form or join a union in any state in the US. Right to work does NOT negate national labor laws, no matter how much bosses try to make people believe it. Right to work means joining a union can't be required, not that it can't happen. You'd have a really good legal case if you were fired for a twerking video shortly after protesting pay and working conditions. They'd have to prove they fired all employees with twerking videos, not just those involved in protests as well.)

But "right to work" has nothing to do with hunting photos. I doubt this girl was protesting L'Oréal's working conditions, which is what you guys were talking about - not protesting pay or striking. You said that because you're in a right to work state you could be "fired for doing anything that represents the system poorly" - I took that to mean something like twerk videos or hunting photos, not protesting work conditions or pay. What y'all were discussing definitely falls under at will employment, which 49 States have.

(Side note, what you are talking about is illegal in all 50 States. It most certainly is not illegal to picket in any state. Even in South Carolina. You can form or join a union in any state in the US. Right to work does NOT negate national labor laws, no matter how much bosses try to make people believe it. Right to work means joining a union can't be required, not that it can't happen. You'd have a really good legal case if you were fired for a twerking video shortly after protesting pay and working conditions. They'd have to prove they fired all employees with twerking videos, not just those involved in protests as well.)
The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android[/
URL]

My point was that because of employment law in SC in general little can be said about her situation (or anyone else's ) that will cause
me to be in uproar. Her hunting, the chinaman comment, Paul Roberson, Paula Deen, personal convictions aside (agreeing or disagreeing) I'm never going to say "Oh she should sue because they didn't have the right to blah" No. They (employers ) make a choice just the same way the employee made a choice. Oh hell. From my stand point in my state, employment isn't fair, "it is what it is"

But in terms of unions. Last year the school bus drivers wanted to use
their national union to strike. They Voted unanimously to do so. The SC board voted to hire any and everybody to run the routes and not negotiate with the drivers. The broad purpose of a union essentially does not exist in SC

I didn't say or intend to say that it is illegal to picket or peacefully picket However If I were to do so, while employed here I'd have to do it on my own time (presumably my fired time) since it can't interfere with work and it'd be in my best interest to not to try to get others to join in

The Fierce Board App! || [URL=http://goo.gl/NGT1F]iPhone
|| Android[/url]

I don't really care how people spend their money, but I don't like voluntourism. "Help me fundraise for my trip to Africa to help the poor, impoverished children." Those kids that don't those trips don't have any experience. They don't know how to build a school, or treat sick people. They go and visit an orphanage and they pose for some pictures with some cute African babies and pat themselves on the back for helping out Africa.

Does 'voluntourism' do more harm than good? | CNN Travel
I remember reading this post thinking oh lawdy now would not be the right time to mention that my former-cp was about to head to South Africa for a teen tour/community service trip...
From everything that I have heard from her (and she is still there) it has been so inspirational for her to see how much they can as teenagers actually help without having the prior skill set, and how much happiness their interactions have brought the kids in the school as well as for themselves. They helped clear out and repair areas of the massive garden that the school uses to produce it's own food for their students and after they were finished each day with the manual labor they had a chance to do art work and engage in sports activities with the students.
It has truly been an eye opener for her and hopefully once home she will continue to be inspired to engage in community service projects and know that her participation can make a difference.

Latest posts

Back