All-Star What Is The Average Height Of A College Cheerleader Flyer On A Coed Team ?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Thats terrible!!!
I just sucked in and hoped for the best each week! lol! I honestly didn't care if I didn't make weight because we could still cheer, we just had to do extra strength and conditioning and I was very happy with my shape and size anyway.

I just sucked in and hoped for the best each week! lol! I honestly didn't care if I didn't make weight because we could still cheer, we just had to do extra strength and conditioning and I was very happy with my shape and size anyway.

If we didn't make weight, we were benched. We too were weighed in in front of the whole team (guys included-I'll point out that there was no weight limit for the guys, nor was their body fat % taken, ever.). I remember not only would we have the most messed up diets and exercise, but we would strip down for weigh in. Because it became a sick competition to see who could have the lowest number at weigh in, you didn't even want your underwear to count against you.

If we didn't make weight, we were benched. We too were weighed in in front of the whole team (guys included-I'll point out that there was no weight limit for the guys, nor was their body fat % taken, ever.). I remember not only would we have the most messed up diets and exercise, but we would strip down for weigh in. Because it became a sick competition to see who could have the lowest number at weigh in, you didn't even want your underwear to count against you.
That.. is extreme. But I can see how it would be that way very easily. Our guys tried not to act like they were paying attention. But my partner knew if I gained an ounce. He didn't need to see the numbers--he WAS the scale!

i have said before putting a weight limit on kids that already are struggling with weight issues and thinking there fat when there not is just asking for anneroxia and bulimia problems. while some might not agree my opinion will not change
This might be terrible for me to say, but a sport that highly depends on body composition and physical fitness is not a good or safe place for someone with really bad body image issues or risk of having an eating disorder.

This might be terrible for me to say, but a sport that highly depends on body composition and physical fitness is not a good or safe place for someone with really bad body image issues or risk of having an eating disorder.
thats really terrible for someone to say, hope this world comes to better terms

It's not that people who have disordered eating shouldn't take part in cheer.....it's that sometimes the pressure to perform better brings out the tendencies in someone who is pre-disposed to having an eating disorder. Eating disorders are a mental illness. Athletes in EVERY sport suffer from eating disorders, as do those who don't take part in sports. It's just talked about more in sports, usually because those who have an ED are also usually very Type A, or also have some form of OCD (these perfectionist traits mean they do well in sports where precision and excellence are rewarded)...they are also usually "pleasers" (will do anything to make an authority figure happy-like a coach).

wrestlers have to make weight.... should they get rid of that too?
They are doing it to fight against people of the same weight....little different don't you think??? They don't have to cut weight, they do it to be on lower weight classes. Just don't feel this is a valid comparison.....

wrestlers have to make weight.... should they get rid of that too?

Get rid of wrestling no, but takes steps to make sure they make weight safely yes. I watched my brother cut weight in High School for wrestling and it was not pretty. He would wear trash bags and just not eat and then after weigh in eat which lead to him being to weak to win. I know my daughter bases a "smaller" flyer and she has said she is HEAVY in the air. Weight isn't always an issue.

I don't think there should be a number. if you start gaining weight they should be able to tell without using a scale and they could go from there.

I'm 5'5 and a coed flyer and both of my partners are under 5'7". Makes for a really awkward looking stunt but the taller boys have trouble getting me in the air because my long legs make it harder for them to toss me to the top of their hands.

Seeing that roster gave me the idea to look up some other schools. The University of Hawaii was from 4'8 to 5'1. I couldn't find a roster that listed Ht. for SFA.

Here is there link:
http://hawaiiathletics.com/roster.aspx?path=cheer

My daughter was a flyer/top on SFA lg coed..at 5'2 she was one of the taller girls, but at 92lbs...one of the tiniest. As you can see in my Avatar..those long legs look beautiful in the air. She was once told that at 5'2 she would be way too tall for some competitive schools, so did not bother trying out for them. Now on Team USA she has realized that she is right in the middle, there are girls taller and much shorter. It isnt how tall you are...it's what skills you bring to the mat!

My daughter was a flyer/top on SFA lg coed..at 5'2 she was one of the taller girls, but at 92lbs...one of the tiniest. As you can see in my Avatar..those long legs look beautiful in the air. She was once told that at 5'2 she would be way too tall for some competitive schools, so did not bother trying out for them. Now on Team USA she has realized that she is right in the middle, there are girls taller and much shorter. It isnt how tall you are...it's what skills you bring to the mat!

Isn't it a crazy world when 5'2 is considered tall.........

Back