All-Star What Is The Average Height Of A College Cheerleader Flyer On A Coed Team ?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Conversations in our house usually consist of just movie quotes. The hubs and I have literally had convos that were just lines form different movies said back and forth, to complete an entire convo.
Glad were not the only house that does that.

i have said before putting a weight limit on kids that already are struggling with weight issues and thinking there fat when there not is just asking for anneroxia and bulimia problems. while some might not agree my opinion will not change
I might agree with this if the primary driving factor behind eating disorders was actually weight. It's not, it's power and control. People with eating disorders generally feel out of control in some aspect of their life (very frequently occurring in loved ones of terminally I'll patients etc.) and take to controlling their weight, food intake etc to supplant their lack of control somewhere else. If that lacking control is in the sport then I could see it, but that's not the same caliber of control issues you'll see with most eating disorders. Some even happen in reverse, it's not unheard of for a boy with an eating disorder to get into wrestling because it's acceptable if not expected (during the season) to be over the top about weight control, so they don't have to hide as completely as usual. It's another control.

All that being said, I've been around Cheerleading for several years and while there are people in every walk of life with these issues, I've not seen a lot of girls that look like they're struggling with this in a clinical sense...yes, they may be stressed about weight but I'm talking about clinical eating disorders. My thought toward that is that people with eating disorders are weak. Weak folks can't stunt or tumble so someone with a true and extended eating disorder is not likely to be successful. You can't look like Cheer ABletics when you're starving yourself. And someone with true eating disorders is also not likely to want to join a sport with half tops, not because of the weight but because they'll call themselves out, girls with prolonged eating disorders are hard to miss.

I might agree with this if the primary driving factor behind eating disorders was actually weight. It's not, it's power and control. People with eating disorders generally feel out of control in some aspect of their life (very frequently occurring in loved ones of terminally I'll patients etc.) and take to controlling their weight, food intake etc to supplant their lack of control somewhere else. If that lacking control is in the sport then I could see it, but that's not the same caliber of control issues you'll see with most eating disorders. Some even happen in reverse, it's not unheard of for a boy with an eating disorder to get into wrestling because it's acceptable if not expected (during the season) to be over the top about weight control, so they don't have to hide as completely as usual. It's another control.

All that being said, I've been around Cheerleading for several years and while there are people in every walk of life with these issues, I've not seen a lot of girls that look like they're struggling with this in a clinical sense...yes, they may be stressed about weight but I'm talking about clinical eating disorders. My thought toward that is that people with eating disorders are weak. Weak folks can't stunt or tumble so someone with a true and extended eating disorder is not likely to be successful. You can't look like Cheer ABletics when you're starving yourself. And someone with true eating disorders is also not likely to want to join a sport with half tops, not because of the weight but because they'll call themselves out, girls with prolonged eating disorders are hard to miss.

Have you read the non-fiction book Cheer!? It follows 3 college cheerleading teams including SFA, one of the best coed teams in the country, arguably the best stunters. It clearly talks about the eating disorders and drug use on that team to stay skinny, and I'm sure it happens in lots of other competitive coed teams as well. I agree with most of what you said though, but especially on coed teams, there's a huge pressure to be skinny.

Amazon.com: Cheer!: Inside the Secret World of College Cheerleaders: Kate Torgovnick: Books

Have you read the non-fiction book Cheer!? It follows 3 college cheerleading teams including SFA, one of the best coed teams in the country, arguably the best stunters. It clearly talks about the eating disorders and drug use on that team to stay skinny, and I'm sure it happens in lots of other competitive coed teams as well. I agree with most of what you said though, but especially on coed teams, there's a huge pressure to be skinny.

Amazon.com: Cheer!: Inside the Secret World of College Cheerleaders: Kate Torgovnick: Books

I haven't. Like I said, it's everywhere but it's more a control issue than a weight issue. My point is putting weight limits doesn't cause eating disorders, but it can compound an existing mental health issue. Unfortunately, I have some experience in this arena.

I haven't. Like I said, it's everywhere but it's more a control issue than a weight issue. My point is putting weight limits doesn't cause eating disorders, but it can compound an existing mental health issue. Unfortunately, I have some experience in this arena.

This is it 100%....If I were doing my PhD in Psychology/Counseling or in Nutrition I would do my research on if sports like gymnastics and figure skating attract the personalities that are predisposed to eating disorders (Type A, OCD, Perfectionists) or if those sports bring out those tendencies. I know which way I THINK it would turn out, but would be interesting research.

I saw Navarro college in Texas has a weight limit of 115 pounds listed for flyers for try outs on their web site.

I saw Navarro college in Texas has a weight limit of 115 pounds listed for flyers for try outs on their web site.
I'm not agreeing that there should be a weight limit. However, at least they set a reasonable weight limit.

Before anyone attacks me and says that's not reasonable, let me say that I am 5'5" and 110 of pure muscle and I am a large coed flyer. Coed flyers my size and larger are pretty rare...at least from my visual survey at UCA Nationals.

I'm not agreeing that there should be a weight limit. However, at least they set a reasonable weight limit.

Before anyone attacks me and says that's not reasonable, let me say that I am 5'5" and 110 of pure muscle and I am a large coed flyer. Coed flyers my size and larger are pretty rare...at least from my visual survey at UCA Nationals.

5'5 on lg coed is pretty rare...My daughter is one of the tallest on her team at 5'2. It's all about how you handle yourself in the air..as you very well know!

5'5 on lg coed is pretty rare...My daughter is one of the tallest on her team at 5'2. It's all about how you handle yourself in the air..as you very well know!

Exactly. Your height and weight dont really matter to most coaches (the ones who care about the athletes and still get the job done as a squad) as long as you can do your job as a cheerleader and are healthy and fit, they will take you. I cheered with girls ranging from 4'10" to 5'9" --its about your skills as a cheerleader more importantly than just the numbers the scale and measuring stick say

Sorry, that came out wrong! I'm not a flyer on a large coed team, I am a big coed flyer. I flew coed on a small coed team.

I'm also a flyer on a large coed team (already made the team but I'm still in high school) and I'm about 5'7 and 108 pounds. So for a coed flyer, I'm ridiculously tall and I have stunted with guys my height and even slightly shorter. Granted when I do stunt with smaller guys, I have to be very careful with my technique and I've done done anything more than a lib.

I'm also a flyer on a large coed team (already made the team but I'm still in high school) and I'm about 5'7 and 108 pounds. So for a coed flyer, I'm ridiculously tall and I have stunted with guys my height and even slightly shorter. Granted when I do stunt with smaller guys, I have to be very careful with my technique and I've done done anything more than a lib.
Congrats! What team did you make?

Back