All-Star What Is The Average Height Of A College Cheerleader Flyer On A Coed Team ?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm 5'5 and a coed flyer and both of my partners are under 5'7". Makes for a really awkward looking stunt but the taller boys have trouble getting me in the air because my long legs make it harder for them to toss me to the top of their hands.

..long legs at 5'5"??? hahaha well i just fell like the flyers a height shouldn't matter i've stunted girl shorter/taller/ and the same height as me. sometimes the girls are bigger than me too and there weren't really any issues unless the girl thought she was heavy.

girls who think they're heavy, whether or not they actually are, come up to guys around my size thinking "i'm gonna kill him" and as a result tend not to do their jobs in the air/ when they get tossed. but that's hardly the case.

ANYWAY i've gotten off track. a taller guy should have longer arms. 5'5" is in fact short. lol. so, anyone taller than you shouldn't have an issue getting you above their shoulders i feel like.... unless they just don't finish the toss or something given the fact they have a shorter flyer.

They are a lot of reasons taller girls make good flyers, but this thread is about how it is, not how it should be. I really just wanted to know the hard cold facts (not sugar coated), "how tall are most cheer flyers on Competitive College Co Ed teams?" I have been looking at the few teams who list rosters with heights and most (not all) are between 4'7 & 5'2. Looking at the posted heights of freshman it looks like the current trend is towards the shorter flyers, but who knows maybe one day that will change.

making weight and loosing weight are 2 total opposites
well then explain to me how people make weight.. they have to "lose" weight to make weight. they are forced to not eat, etc. in order to get to their weight class. Just like cheerleaders are doing, losing weigh to be on the team.

well then explain to me how people make weight.. they have to "lose" weight to make weight. they are forced to not eat, etc. in order to get to their weight class. Just like cheerleaders are doing, losing weigh to be on the team.
since when has loosing weight meaning you gain weight? it doesnt work like that at all. My body doesnt store fat cells and its way behind on growth and my dr told me i had to gain weight she certainly didnt tell me to loose weight first.

and wrestlers dont not eat. they eat a lot, tons of protein and wheat so that they can make it into a higher weight class.

my whole point wasnt that loosing weight to be on a team is bad, if you can afford to shed a few pounds. whoopee for you, my whole issue was that forcing girls to be a certain weight to go in the air is absurd. i had a flyer who was smaller than me weighed about 90 pounds but she was impossible to lift because she didnt understand moving your weight, wether thats gymnastics fault or not. but back to it being absurd girls struggle with there issues about weight a lot and giving them another reason is not and never will be acceptable in my book. telling a team to eat more healthy and to stay fit and active i understand but having a particular and certain weight is absurd.

the fact is , is that it has become acceptable and preferable to be skinny. no one can appreciate the beauty of someone thicker or larger. its always oh shes fat or oh hes fat. Skinny isnt everything and it shouldnt be that way, the reason no one understands my hate for weight limit is because like i said its acceptable in the day and age

the fact is , is that it has become acceptable and preferable to be skinny. no one can appreciate the beauty of someone thicker or larger. its always oh shes fat or oh hes fat. Skinny isnt everything and it shouldnt be that way, the reason no one understands my hate for weight limit is because like i said its acceptable in the day and age

Maybe it is good the rosters don't list their weights. I would think they would have to have a certain amount of lean muscle to throw the required tumbling skills.

Maybe it is good the rosters don't list their weights. I would think they would have to have a certain amount of lean muscle to throw the required tumbling skills.
true true

true true
I know my 21 yr old College cheerleader may only weigh 93 lbs..but she is ripped! She says there is a thing called "little girl" syndrome....tiny flyers that don't push off, or "help" their base at all. It is all relative....if your team has some really big bases..you can afford to go with bigger girls.

I know my 21 yr old College cheerleader may only weigh 93 lbs..but she is ripped! She says there is a thing called "little girl" syndrome....tiny flyers that don't push off, or "help" their base at all. It is all relative....if your team has some really big bases..you can afford to go with bigger girls.

Wow! You need to post a video of her flying & tumbling on one of the forums! I bet she is amazing! :)

Wow! You need to post a video of her flying & tumbling on one of the forums! I bet she is amazing! :)

You can see her on Team USA Coed..she was the "U" and left side stunts/pyramids. Her tryout video is on the Team USA Video thread, which she says is not very good. She has improved so much since that video!

no we were all kinda tiny

thats really terrible for someone to say, hope this world comes to better terms
It's not that people who have disordered eating shouldn't take part in cheer.....it's that sometimes the pressure to perform better brings out the tendencies in someone who is pre-disposed to having an eating disorder. Eating disorders are a mental illness. Athletes in EVERY sport suffer from eating disorders, as do those who don't take part in sports. It's just talked about more in sports, usually because those who have an ED are also usually very Type A, or also have some form of OCD (these perfectionist traits mean they do well in sports where precision and excellence are rewarded)...they are also usually "pleasers" (will do anything to make an authority figure happy-like a coach).

Let's clarify: I'm not saying that people with body image issues shouldn't cheer. In cheerleading we wear crop tops and throw people in the air, so there is certainly a lot more pressure to maintain a certain weight or body composition. I'm just saying that predisposition to an eating disorder is more dangerous in cheerleading than it would be in soccer or basketball. I know that there are eating disorders in every sport, but I think what we do in cheerleading makes people who already have body image issues more likely to develop an eating disorder, more so than most other sports, therefore cheerleading is a very dangerous sport for said people.

Let's clarify: I'm not saying that people with body image issues shouldn't cheer. In cheerleading we wear crop tops and throw people in the air, so there is certainly a lot more pressure to maintain a certain weight or body composition. I'm just saying that predisposition to an eating disorder is more dangerous in cheerleading than it would be in soccer or basketball. I know that there are eating disorders in every sport, but I think what we do in cheerleading makes people who already have body image issues more likely to develop an eating disorder, more so than most other sports, therefore cheerleading is a very dangerous sport for said people.
Well said, you're very astute for a young one.

Latest posts

Back