All-Star What Is The Average Height Of A College Cheerleader Flyer On A Coed Team ?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Let's clarify: I'm not saying that people with body image issues shouldn't cheer. In cheerleading we wear crop tops and throw people in the air, so there is certainly a lot more pressure to maintain a certain weight or body composition. I'm just saying that predisposition to an eating disorder is more dangerous in cheerleading than it would be in soccer or basketball. I know that there are eating disorders in every sport, but I think what we do in cheerleading makes people who already have body image issues more likely to develop an eating disorder, more so than most other sports, therefore cheerleading is a very dangerous sport for said people.
see i was taking it another way im glad you clarified. it sounded like you were saying if you have body issues dont cheer. but my orginal point is there shouldnt be a weight limit

see i was taking it another way im glad you clarified. it sounded like you were saying if you have body issues dont cheer. but my orginal point is there shouldnt be a weight limit
I suppose what I actually meant is I think it makes sense to have a BMI or body fat percentage limit, not necessarily weight (unless all of the flyers are about the same height- then it's just a convenience standpoint.) But yes I also meant that it's important that people with body issues work hard to improve those issues, especially in cheer.

You can see her on Team USA Coed..she was the "U" and left side stunts/pyramids. Her tryout video is on the Team USA Video thread, which she says is not very good. She has improved so much since that video!

I am going to google it. Just in case I can't find it, do you have a link for it?

You can see her on Team USA Coed..she was the "U" and left side stunts/pyramids. Her tryout video is on the Team USA Video thread, which she says is not very good. She has improved so much since that video!

Is this is? I loved it!!! The whole routine was outstanding!!!!! :)

I suppose what I actually meant is I think it makes sense to have a BMI or body fat percentage limit, not necessarily weight (unless all of the flyers are about the same height- then it's just a convenience standpoint.) But yes I also meant that it's important that people with body issues work hard to improve those issues, especially in cheer.
well what makes it make sense to you?

Very random & off topic, but when looking at the team usa roster (which doesn't list heights) I saw that Ryan from Dunbar (the reality show) made it to team USA!!! I thought that was so cool! I loved her on that show!!! :)

• C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\Desktop\team usa
    here is a Pic of my daughter and some other girls from Team USA Coed. Ryan Martin is to her left. Beth is 5'2" and the shortest girl shown is about 4'11.

Let's clarify: I'm not saying that people with body image issues shouldn't cheer. In cheerleading we wear crop tops and throw people in the air, so there is certainly a lot more pressure to maintain a certain weight or body composition. I'm just saying that predisposition to an eating disorder is more dangerous in cheerleading than it would be in soccer or basketball. I know that there are eating disorders in every sport, but I think what we do in cheerleading makes people who already have body image issues more likely to develop an eating disorder, more so than most other sports, therefore cheerleading is a very dangerous sport for said people.

You're right. Sports that are subjectively judged are more likely to have athletes with disordered eating and exercise. Sports like cheer, gymnastics and figure skating. Of course, in each of these sports, being lighter is an advantage as well as effecting the look of the athlete and therefore their scoring (not so much the judging in cheer as in gymn and skating).

since when has loosing weight meaning you gain weight? it doesnt work like that at all. My body doesnt store fat cells and its way behind on growth and my dr told me i had to gain weight she certainly didnt tell me to loose weight first.

and wrestlers dont not eat. they eat a lot, tons of protein and wheat so that they can make it into a higher weight class.

my whole point wasnt that loosing weight to be on a team is bad, if you can afford to shed a few pounds. whoopee for you, my whole issue was that forcing girls to be a certain weight to go in the air is absurd. i had a flyer who was smaller than me weighed about 90 pounds but she was impossible to lift because she didnt understand moving your weight, wether thats gymnastics fault or not. but back to it being absurd girls struggle with there issues about weight a lot and giving them another reason is not and never will be acceptable in my book. telling a team to eat more healthy and to stay fit and active i understand but having a particular and certain weight is absurd.
no offense, but you have no idea how wrestling is run.

Very random & off topic, but when looking at the team usa roster (which doesn't list heights) I saw that Ryan from Dunbar (the reality show) made it to team USA!!! I thought that was so cool! I loved her on that show!!! :)
I don't know if you're aware, but Ryan is also a University of Alabama cheerleader :)

Back