High School What Is Your School's Uniform Purchasing System?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

By that, I mean to ask whether your school has each girl/guy purchase her/his own uniforms, or is there a uniform bank from which your select your sizes each year? Do you reuse custom bodyliners (as part of the uniform bank)?
The school/team buys and owns the uniforms. One has a matching body liner that gets reused. The other they wore a white v-neck midriff top with. It was super thin and looks horrible after one season of use. Those were purchased by each girl for their own use.

Did any of you have a white uniform that you reused? How long can a white uniform be reused until it is too dingy?
Our high school has some 5-6 year-old white unis that don't look too gross. (They're ugly lol, but they aren't dingy) They are only used for basketball season. Our track is rubberized and gets all over everything white (our shoes, ew) so I'm glad coach got blue unis for football season. With proper care, lots of deodorant and some good soap, white unis can last a long time if they are well-made.

Uniform bank at our HS. Top was a shell that had a body liner - the cheerleaders had to purchase the body liner, brief and bow. Varsity got new fitted uniforms the season before this past one and JV got the old varsity ones, so varsity now just responsible for their own briefs (black Nike pros) and bow. Much bigger problem now with fitting the girls since they were sized, and should be quite interesting since they have 8 graduating seniors, one kid moving and another switching back to gymnastics. I had to order cp a new skirt myself when she made the team winter season because the only size they had for her was too small and there was no way she was going out in public in the one they gave her.

Did any of you have a white uniform that you reused? How long can a white uniform be reused until it is too dingy?
The body of cp's uniform top is white. After two seasons some look dingier than others. It all depends on how it is being washed and if the instructions are actually being followed. Many parents just do not care about the fact that someone else besides their special snowflake may be wearing that very uniform the following season. The bigger issue I've seen with the uniforms is with the gold accent material on the top and skirt - I guess it is mystique. Again depending on how well parents cared for it makes the difference between it still looking good or somewhat faded (which it should not at this point but on some it does).

@CheerBank , I don't understand why people don't take better care of the uniforms that aren't really "theirs". I wash on delicate with cold water and hang dry. Any marks or stains are treated as soon as possible. My girls only drink water (unless the venue runs out) while in uniform and don't often eat unless covered up.

We have gotten some nasty, second-year uniforms that really should have been in almost new condition.

By that, I mean to ask whether your school has each girl/guy purchase her/his own uniforms, or is there a uniform bank from which your select your sizes each year? Do you reuse custom bodyliners (as part of the uniform bank)?
We have a uniform "bank." The kids turn their uniforms back in every season. We use a plain color body liner that the kids own. The school owns the uniforms, but the cheer account has to raise and pay for them, the school never provides them. There is no set schedule to purchasing, just if we have the extra money and think it's time. Our newest one is 2 years old now and I don't see getting another for a while.

We used to have a custom body liner with one of our old competition uniforms. The kids bought those on their own. They weren't school owned for a couple of reasons. 1) I just find it gross to share those liners. 2) They're not really able to be altered like uniforms are, so you have to have the right sizes. Our custom liners were $75 I think and you owned it or could sell it to a new girl if they wanted a used one. Most people always bought new.

We tried owning a uniform one year. It obviously worked that season, and it was really nice from a coaching stand point to not have to collect, clean, store, etc until the next season. For many reasons we didn't do this the following year. It was not a cheap option!

I've always loved a white uniform. Had an all white for one season and NEVER AGAIN! If it's motion flex material, I think one or two seasons tops. That stuff is hard to clean and some stuff doesn't come out. The polyester that Varsity makes is pretty easy to clean with spray and wash though. The instructions say not to use it, but I always have. We have a uniform that has a considerable amount of white on it that is 6 years old now. They're still in really good condition.

Last edited:
The bigger issue I've seen with the uniforms is with the gold accent material on the top and skirt - I guess it is mystique. Again depending on how well parents cared for it makes the difference between it still looking good or somewhat faded (which it should not at this point but on some it does).
Agree! I've avoided any mystic fabric all together. When I was in a senior in HS we got new white uniforms with mystic gold accents. Within a season they were noticeably faded. They ordered fill ins for new girls the following season and it became even more obvious. As a coach I won't even consider it, knowing that uniforms need to last for seasons! I also learned my lessons about anything sequined, glittered, stoned, etc. It all fades, washes off, or goes out of style. Not good for the long run, or if you need fillers down the road. I try to keep all of the fun/trendy fabric and stuff to the bows, because those are new every season!

We tried owning a uniform one year. It obviously worked that season, and it was really nice from a coaching stand point to not have to collect, clean, store, etc until the next season. For many reasons we didn't do this the following year. It was not a cheap option.
By "owning" do you mean having each girl purchase her own?

We had a uniform bank when I was in high school and when I cheered in college. My high school team had three uniforms and they each had custom liners (we called them midriffs) that were reused every year. My college now has new uniforms (different coach) and I think the girls fundraised for their uniforms. I'm pretty sure they get to keep them but I'm not sure. They have one skirt and one tank uniform top and one long sleeves uniform top. I think they are all the varsity motion flex uniforms! When I cheered in junior high (8th/9th grade) we had a uniform bank as well but we bought solid colored liners each year for our uniforms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had a uniform bank when I was in high school and when I cheered in college. My high school team had three uniforms and they each had custom liners (we called them midriffs) that were reused every year. My college now has new uniforms (different coach) and I think the girls fundraised for their uniforms. I'm pretty sure they get to keep them but I'm not sure. They have one skirt and one tank uniform top and one long sleeves uniform top. I think they are all the varsity motion flex uniforms! When I cheered in junior high (8th/9th grade) we had a uniform bank as well but we bought solid colored liners each year for our uniforms.

Was it hard to keep the midriffs clean?

Was it hard to keep the midriffs clean?

I didn't think so! Two of ours were mainly black or blue with some white piping (or braiding or whatever that is called) and the white stayed pretty white for the most part. One of the midriffs had a large portion of white on it and surprisingly, it stayed pretty white as well and it was not a new uniform. I think it was 3-5 years old when I first got it. My mom washed all of my uniforms (and my sisters) together in one wash of just uniforms and then hung dried them and they were still in great condition.

I didn't think so! Two of ours were mainly black or blue with some white piping (or braiding or whatever that is called) and the white stayed pretty white for the most part. One of the midriffs had a large portion of white on it and surprisingly, it stayed pretty white as well and it was not a new uniform. I think it was 3-5 years old when I first got it. My mom washed all of my uniforms (and my sisters) together in one wash of just uniforms and then hung dried them and they were still in great condition.

So they didn't smell or anything?

So they didn't smell or anything?

Nope! Neither my sister or I had that problem but it is possible that we just lucked out haha. I think that as long as the athletes are diligent about washing them and how they wash them it would be fine. It might also make a difference if there are several uniforms that take turns being worn as opposed to having one uniform that is worn all the time.

Our Athletic Department purchases uniforms for athletic teams every 4 years, rotating 2-3 sports each year. All athletes pay $100 per year for athletic fees. We have been allowed to purchase 2 tops & 1 skirt.

My first year at my HS they had white uniforms we kept for 4 years. They didn't look too bad, but the mystic trim was dull. We are currently on year 1 of a new white uniform.

Edited for my typos. :confused:

Last edited:
Back