All-Star What's The Freakin' Problem? And, Where Does It Freakin' Extend.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

See the question is when did euphemisms become bad?

Haha.. I honestly think Fierce Board will be the only civil social media in all of this. Twitter is INSANE. And people are getting rather brave with Facebook.
fierceboard is pretty tame but twitter is a grave yard only speak if you want to be killed by preteens with acne issues i just like to watch

See the question is when did euphemisms become bad?

Euphemisms have always been the way to NOT say what you're saying, and there are varying degrees of acceptability with those too. I might talk to my mom about "the loo," but I just can't call it "the crapper" in front of her.
The English (American) language is full of fun ways to skirt our puritanical roots. We break rules. That's just what the freak we do, as Americans.

And just so I've weighed-in on the issue, I see a WAY bigger problem with any mix that has anything about "turn me on," "Shots," "sexy," or "working my body" in it. Yes, you're seniors. We get that. But all that means is that you're at least 12 (probably.) 12. There is nothing sexy about 12. Nor should there ever be. And "Shots..." I can't with that song in a mix.

I don't see the problem personally with these word substitutions, but that's probably because my vocabulary of "bad words" is very limited anyway now with a toddler around, lol. Like we say heck, darn, & freakin', all very obvious word substitutions to older people (I typically don't use these purposefully around her, but in case she ever did hear them), but I feel like it could be much, much worse. I think some of the song choices & dance moves teams are using are far worse than specific words, like when music talks about "going up & down" or "taking it to the floor" along with booty shaking & popping could be construed many different ways in today's generation.

this whole topic upsets me... how is freakin' any different from dang or shoot or heck? are we not allowed to use those words now either? I think society is becoming way way way over senesitve to a lot of things now-a-days

I have to be honest and say I chose not to read through this whole thread, but just wanted to put my 2 cents in on the topic. :)

There is A LOT of questionable lyrics, choreography, etc in our sport. But I have never once thought saying Cali Freakin Fornia was inappropriate. I loved it actually. Of all the things that could and SHOULD be inappropriate in our sport, that is not one that bothers me at all. I do not make it a habit to cuss, but there isn't a slang word I don't use. Freakin, dang, darn, shoot, crap, heck, etc. If those words are now considered inappropriate, I am in trouble! haha And so are my kids. For the most part, I love what NCA is trying to do about keeping things family friendly with uniforms, lyrics, etc. And if banning slang cuss words in one of them, I will stand behind them. But I don't consider it bad or offensive at all to use them.

Back