All-Star Who Got The Exclusive Worlds Email?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I feel bad for USASF on this board you rip them to shreds if they do you rip them to shreds if they don't. I really think they are trying to keep being world champs being world champs. Just like the nationals problem and having a billion of them I see them trying to prevent that situtation from happening again.

Everyone makes out varsity this money hungry machine and you dont think Jam Brands isn't?

I agree that the USASF gets bashed a lot on here, often unnecessarily so. However, on this specific issue, my thoughts on it are to compare it to another sport. The way I'm reading the letter from USASF is to say that if a team wants to participate at Worlds, they have to forego competing in any other competition that touts itself as having an "international" or "world" level of competition (I am willing to bet money that, as more details come out, it will not be just a name thing either).

Now, that being said, would a sport like gymnastics say that if you competed in the Olympics or the Pan Am Games (both international championships by definition), that you wouldn't be able to compete at the world championships? Does competing at the Olympics or the Pan Am Games in addition to the world championship make the world championship any less prestigious? Absolutely not.

So, why now is the USASF forcing teams to choose? Wouldn't a governing body, wanting to encourage recognition of their sport, want to expand opportunities for visibility and international competition? I don't think that allowing teams to compete at Jam Brand's event will make a World title for any one of those teams any less significant. Or, as others have said, does this have nothing to do with the growth of the sport and have everything to do with the fact that a for profit company has such heavy-handed involvement with the governing body of this sport?

I don't think the email said you couldn't attend ANY events from a company touting itself as having an international or worlds level of competition. I think it's saying you cannot attend any other world type event other than USASF Worlds. But you can still go to any national or regional event from any company.

From my reading of the email I think those selected to take part in The Majors this year are fine and will have no problem doing both. The email says

This stipulation applies to any regional international championship affiliated with an organization claiming to operate a World Championship, other than the ICU and USASF/IASF.

As Jambrands currently do not claim to operate a World Championship their events should all be safe. It would become a problem if they were to introduce a rival worlds competition in the future as has been speculated.

I still believe this is aimed more at the many international companies that are trying to claim the title of governing body in lots of other countries, you would not believe how many European Championships I received invitations to last year each claiming to be run by the european governing body!

My question is the "coach, judge or official" part. You haven't been able to compete at US Finals or All Levels if you were a worlds team, which I have no problem with (I've seen teams exhibition there, which is apparently ok). But to now limit coaches from these events is a little scary to me. What if the coach of the Worlds team is all the coach of a lower level team? The lower level team either loses their coach or can't compete at these events? A judge can't take a job at these events if they were chosen for worlds? Somehow that seems very wrong.

Am I reading the email correctly? Are they now punishing everyone and restricting employment and entire gyms from competing at these events?

I think this verbiage in the policy is key "....This stipulation applies to any regional international championship affiliated with an organization claiming to operate a World Championship, other than the ICU and USASF/IASF."

As for the International All Levels Championship, it's operated by Varsity which is AFFILIATED with USASF, so I don't think that event would be impacted. As of right now, there is no other organization (other USASF/IASF) claiming to operate a "World Championship", correct? So, as of right now, why would any scheduled events for this season be impacted?

IF another company announced that they are planning to hold their own "World Championship", THEN I think it would start impacting other events.

I just spoke to Jim and he said that everyone in the US is ok to attend their usual events (Majors included)

Some guy in Japan (possibly with IFC) is trying to host a World Championship and they're trying to "squash that" so there is only ONE true Worlds.

I think some clarification of the email could dispell alot of drama that's swirling around it.

I just spoke to Jim and he said that everyone in the US is ok to attend their usual events (Majors included)

Some guy in Japan (possibly with IFC) is trying to host a World Championship and they're trying to "squash that" so there is only ONE true Worlds.

Shwew thank you cupieqt!!!! My teenager (who btw is at school and is supposed to be concentrating on her classes) keeps texting me worrying about the Majors and Worlds.

Just wondering how it will work for International teams. Future Cheer in the UK calls its Worlds Bid event Internationals! Do the same rules apply to a country where Varsity does not have a presence?

Hello All, It has been a while since I have come to the boards to clear up any misconceptions. I have read a few of your post but not many so I apologize if this information is repeated from someone's earlier post. Also, I just found out about this addition myself so I called to find out what was going on with this issue.

Any all
star event conducted by a USASF/IASF member event producer is fine to attend. The "international" title is not an issue, the "World" title is a problem.

It really is that simple. As long as you don't attend a competition that has the "World" title attached to it, then there is no problem.

Les Stella
Executive Director
USASF Rules and Judging

Back