All-Star Who Got The Exclusive Worlds Email?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Hello All, It has been a while since I have come to the boards to clear up any misconceptions. I have read a few of your post but not many so I apologize if this information is repeated from someone's earlier post. Also, I just found out about this addition myself so I called to find out what was going on with this issue.

Any all star event conducted by a USASF/IASF member event producer is fine to attend. The "international" title is not an issue, the "World" title is a problem.

It really is that simple. As long as you don't attend a competition that has the "World" title attached to it, then there is no problem.

Les Stella
Executive Director
USASF Rules and Judging

Thanks Les!

Thanks Les for clearing that up for everyone.

Hello All, It has been a while since I have come to the boards to clear up any misconceptions. I have read a few of your post but not many so I apologize if this information is repeated from someone's earlier post. Also, I just found out about this addition myself so I called to find out what was going on with this issue.

Any all star event conducted by a USASF/IASF member event producer is fine to attend. The "international" title is not an issue, the "World" title is a problem.

It really is that simple. As long as you don't attend a competition that has the "World" title attached to it, then there is no problem.

Les Stella
Executive Director
USASF Rules and Judging

Les Stella
Executive Director
USASF Rules and Judging

why couldnt have this been sent out as the original email?

Just wondering how it will work for International teams. Future Cheer in the UK calls its Worlds Bid event Internationals! Do the same rules apply to a country where Varsity does not have a presence?
..Should it matter if Varsity has a presence there? Isn't that the whole point, that 'Varsity' shouldn't be governing our cheer lives but USASF/IASF which is (should be) independent of that company? (Following Les' post, you're in the clear! That being said..)

While this issue could have been done with easily in a better-worded email, I think it drew to the fore an issue oft repeated on here: That many people feel Varsity's stake in the USASF/IASF and it's Worlds Competition has/is starting to go beyond sport development and growth and into a monopoly on the event. That's not to say I/we don't appreciate what many people (such as Les, who braves the board at our most crazy to try to sort business out!) do, I/we just feel like there is behind the scenes business. As one who avoids conspiracy theories, I don't like that feeling.

..Should it matter if Varsity has a presence there? Isn't that the whole point, that 'Varsity' shouldn't be governing our cheer lives but USASF/IASF which is (should be) independent of that company? (Following Les' post, you're in the clear! That being said..)

While this issue could have been done with easily in a better-worded email, I think it drew to the fore an issue oft repeated on here: That many people feel Varsity's stake in the USASF/IASF and it's Worlds Competition has/is starting to go beyond sport development and growth and into a monopoly on the event. That's not to say I/we don't appreciate what many people (such as Les, who braves the board at our most crazy to try to sort business out!) do, I/we just feel like there is behind the scenes business. As one who avoids conspiracy theories, I don't like that feeling.

You know who has the power to end all of our speculation about how the USASF makes decisions, and if they truly have our athlete's interest at heart...... THEY DO! We need transparency. They are the leaders in our industry who have been around this sport since before some of us were born. Let's give them the respect they deserve. BUT we can hold them accountable. I say we all ask for transparency and explanations as to how and why some decisions, like this one, were made. I think if we are in doubt, we will fill in the blanks. And what we fill in the blanks with can get pretty crazy!

Oh Lord. I could shimmy this post one bazillion times. The email as I read it was harsh. HARSH. Not nice. If there was an issue with an independant company using the word "WORLD" (get a grip), maybe that harsh email or phone call should have been made directly to that specific individual or company. As it turned out, that harsh email was sent to the voting membership of the USASF. And frankly, I for one, do not appreciate it. If this is the kind of response we can expect from our governing body; frightened and angry, then, we have some serious issues to face.
1. Monopoly. While I can appreciate the fact that Varsity has raised the bar on competitive cheerleading, it appears to me that the best interests of everyone are not being taken into account.
2. Communication. Not good. At all. Some type of public relations person should be hired. Maybe Les should also take that position.
3. Acceptance. That some things are being done without the membership's approval. Current status dictates no foreseen changes in the future.
4. Speak out. In as many ways as you are allowed. I have volunteered my time to the USASF on more than one occasion and have been pretty much ignored. So they must not need any volunteers. (this was for just grunt work that they might need help with. Not trying to change anything....willing to help with calls, emails, letters, etc, in case anyone was wondering if I had some master plan to take over.)

If All Levels is a Varsity comp then who runs US Finals? I have a feeling that they will allow International All Levels since it is a Varsity comp, but if Varsity has no part in US Finals then I see them saying no to that. Which would make it even more of an obvious fishy move since the two have the same basic idea. I am very interested to see how this all plays out because it could get awfully nasty.
US finals is jam brands i believe

Oh Lord. I could shimmy this post one bazillion times. The email as I read it was harsh. HARSH. Not nice. If there was an issue with an independant company using the word "WORLD" (get a grip), maybe that harsh email or phone call should have been made directly to that specific individual or company. As it turned out, that harsh email was sent to the voting membership of the USASF. And frankly, I for one, do not appreciate it. If this is the kind of response we can expect from our governing body; frightened and angry, then, we have some serious issues to face.
1. Monopoly. While I can appreciate the fact that Varsity has raised the bar on competitive cheerleading, it appears to me that the best interests of everyone are not being taken into account.
2. Communication. Not good. At all. Some type of public relations person should be hired. Maybe Les should also take that position.
3. Acceptance. That some things are being done without the membership's approval. Current status dictates no foreseen changes in the future.
4. Speak out. In as many ways as you are allowed. I have volunteered my time to the USASF on more than one occasion and have been pretty much ignored. So they must not need any volunteers. (this was for just grunt work that they might need help with. Not trying to change anything....willing to help with calls, emails, letters, etc, in case anyone was wondering if I had some master plan to take over.)

When I read it, my mouth dropped. The tone of what was written was so threatening that I had to sit back and think about what it actually meant. They were definitely showing their authority and putting companies in their place, but at the same time, also scaring the gym owners. Worlds is the competition most gyms want to get to, by saying these statements it was kind of like a scare tactic and I don't like that.

If gym owners and coaches are SOOOO upset about Varsity... then:

1. Dont attend Varsity Events
2. Don't order Varsity Uniforms
3. Don't order Varsity practice wear.

I for one, am not typically happy with Varsity events or how things are ran - So I choose to go Jam Brands/Cheersport/IEP Competitions, Buy uniforms from GK, and practice wear from GK or Locally. Id hope people on here calling it a monopoly are also doing their part instead of complaining and supplying more money. I support the idea of Worlds and feel Varsity does TRY to make things awesome - but each to their own opinion!

I for one, am not typically happy with Varsity events or how things are ran - So I choose to go Jam Brands/Cheersport/IEP Competitions, Buy uniforms from GK, and practice wear from GK or Locally. Id hope people on here calling it a monopoly are also doing their part instead of complaining and supplying more money. I support the idea of Worlds and feel Varsity does TRY to make things awesome - but each to their own opinion!
OCCUPY FIERCEBOARD, step #1

I came back to this page to see if my previous post was clear or if it was still confusing people. All I can say is WOW! I will not get on here and "defend" Varsity but I will make sure the truth is known. I do agree that the email was poorly written in the fact that it was confusing overall and didn't convey the correct message. However, the email had nothing to do with Varsity.
When I started work this morning, I was bombarded with emails and phone calls that I had no idea what they were talking about. Once I read the email, I wasn't anymore clear on the issue. So...I called my boss, Jim Chadwick, and asked for clarification. That is when I posted my earlier comments. I will try to explain a little further now:
How many of you are "National Champions"? What does it mean anymore? Most of you are "National Champions" multiple times within the same season! It is no longer an honored title for the gym but just a label for an event producer to use when naming their event. For that matter, many event producers have multiple "National Champion" events.
The USASF/IASF is trying to keep the integrity of Worlds. When you win (or place well) at Worlds, you know you have accomplished something special. I hope this helps as to "why" the email was written.

Les Stella
Executive Director
USASF Rules and Judges

FamousRudags said:

I don't support Varsity brands. I use Jamfest, WSA, GK and other non-varsity vendors. I am not a fan although I also appreciate their part in the history of cheer.

I think this is a matter of delivery method that caused all this. Orders and mandates are hot button topics in our industry and if information isn't complete or intentions transparent we kinda fill in the blanks around here. And then you come on and in three sentences fix it all. Funny how the right words fix everything.

Dear USASF,

As a parent who considered paying for my child to cheer, I want to thank you for making up my mind to find him a different sport. There are many other sports that offer competition and life lessons without me spending thousands to end up in the middle of your competition drama. In the end, the only thing hurt by your ever-growing ego is the sport.

Sincerely,
A Very Pissed Off Mom

Would this have even affected your child? Unless they're a level 5 athlete at a gym that would go to Worlds...things remain the same it seems.

Back