All-Star Youth Makeup

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

What swe do so we can be seen from the stage is vastly different and separate from what we do every day, and my child knows that. Everyone needs more makeup under the lights than they do in real life. I did talk to my child from a young age about why we wear makeup for cheer and dance but not every day. About the fact that it is necessary for our features to be seen from stage, and that everyone's skin and face is different and everyone needs different kinds of makeup to look their best on stage. She has no self esteem issues, quite the opposite. She doesn't have any hang ups about her appearance just because she wears stage makeup so that we can see her face on stage.

Believe it or not, skin tone is a thing in a lot of white families. It isn't the same issue at all, but can be an issue and source of teasing. I am the only pale one in a family with olive skin and lovely tans and have always caught grief for it. I get " are you really their kid?", "are you sure you belong to them?" Ect all the time. My white legs got made fun of in high school because I really just cannot tan. I burn and am pale again, and was that way in a era when tan was in. Pale is associated with the nerdy girl who doesn't get out in the sun and isn't athletic. There is definitely some stereotyping based on skin tone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess that's not really my point. I'm looking at it from a "this looks better" vs "we've been conditioned to think this looks better because this is what what we think it should be". Yes I get accentuating features so that you can see them from a distance (although when I judged I was more focused on skills more so than faces but thats neither here nor there)....but the concept of darkening a kids face with foundation or spray tanning is honestly for the birds with me. But like I said. If y'all like it, I love it.....But I am glad I'll never have to spray tan my kid

And as far as your second paragraph. I'm not going to relate because again the message of tanner is better is lost on me. I will think Lupita Nyong'o skin is beautiful the same way I would think Mila Kunis has beautiful skin (I'm assuming she'd be considered pale). I've always had my white friends comment on being pale and my response has always been "okay..if you say so". I just don't think pale skin looks bad. It looks natural.

So. If you say so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What swe do so we can be seen from the stage is vastly different and separate from what we do every day, and my child knows that. Everyone needs more makeup under the lights than they do in real life. I did talk to my child from a young age about why we wear makeup for cheer and dance but not every day. About the fact that it is necessary for our features to be seen from stage, and that everyone's skin and face is different and everyone needs different kinds of makeup to look their best on stage. She has no self esteem issues, quite the opposite. She doesn't have any hang ups about her appearance just because she wears stage makeup so that we can see her face on stage.

Believe it or not, skin tone is a thing in a lot of white families. It isn't the same issue at all, but can be an issue and source of teasing. I am the only pale one in a family with olive skin and lovely tans and have always caught grief for it. I get " are you really their kid?", "are you sure you belong to them?" Ect all the time. My white legs got made fun of in high school because I really just cannot tan. I burn and am pale again, and was that way in a era when tan was in. Pale is associated with the nerdy girl who doesn't get out in the sun and isn't athletic. There is definitely some stereotyping based on skin tone.

I can't shimmy your posts enough about pale skin. I feel them in my bones.

It's like there becomes a point where you don't fall in the range of "normal white skin tones" and people think it's their civic duty to make comments about it. Nope, all comments should be kept to yourself, thanks :)

It's like there becomes a point where you don't fall in the range of "normal white skin tones" and people think it's their civic duty to make comments about it. Nope, all comments should be kept to yourself, thanks :)
Yep, " Are you sick?", "Do you EVER go in the sun?", "You must be a vampire". None of these are funny.

Yep, " Are you sick?", "Do you EVER go in the sun?", "You must be a vampire". None of these are funny.

Or...

*in the dead of winter* "I'm so pale but not as pale as *pale friend* so I guess I'm not a lost cause or some freak"

*friend goes tanning or comes back from vacation* "Pull up your sleeve, I wanna see how much darker I am than you now... WOW IDK HOW YOU ARE BORN THAT PALE." (This happens more than can even stand.)

"I don't want *pale friend* on my team for manhunt/games you play at night because she glows in the dark." *is then picked last every time*

"Why have a flash light when you have 'pale friend'?"

"I don't want you in this pic, your paleness messes with the lighting, sorry." (Oh ok. I don't want you in my life, your shi**y personality messes with my feelings, sorry.)

I've been reppin' the "Palest Friend in All My Friend Groups" title for a solid 23 years so cool so cool I love it not really

Or...

*in the dead of winter* "I'm so pale but not as pale as *pale friend* so I guess I'm not a lost cause or some freak"

*friend goes tanning or comes back from vacation* "Pull up your sleeve, I wanna see how much darker I am than you now... WOW IDK HOW YOU ARE BORN THAT PALE." (This happens more than can even stand.)

"I don't want *pale friend* on my team for manhunt/games you play at night because she glows in the dark." *is then picked last every time*

"I don't want you in this pic, your paleness messes with the lighting, sorry." (Oh ok. I don't want you in my life, your shi**y personality messes with my feelings, sorry.)

I've been reppin' the "Palest Friend in All My Friend Groups" title for a solid 23 years so cool so cool I love it not really
Oh my god yes to all of this but especially "let's compare arms". Yeah, I get it, I'm paler than everyone.

Beauty in the Victorian age... Time machine for you guys? ;)

"The Victorians loved pale skin. It was a sign of nobility. It meant women were well-off, and could afford not to spend hours working outdoors, which would inevitably result in a tan. The horror!"

Beauty In The Victorian Age

I mean well, I said I didn't understand the "washed out" issue and then the poster posted a picture and said that was her kid flowing like a ghost, so it sounds like these are issues that go hand in hand (granted I don't see it but whatever)

But honestly to me all of this sounds quite sad. Like are you telling the actual kids these actual reasons for needing all of this make up and spray tanning? Do they not develop complex issues and insecurities? I mean in Black culture skin tone has always been an divisive issue going back to slavery, to the point where black people today still bleach their skin.....so I just can't imagine taking my 10 yo niece and saying "you look too ____ in the lights let me _____ so it looks better". Like I look at those pictures and see nothing wrong with the kid and imagining having to do all of that to a child for these superficial reasons almost makes me cringe.

But I mean this will never be my battle so if y'all like it, I love it. Do you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never actually explained it to her in those terms; she's also never asked about why she wears the make-up she does. At her age, she's just excited mommy and daddy let her wear it at all---make-up isn't something she's old enough for in everyday life so competitions are her 'special' time to use it. From start to finish, I think it takes my DH about 15 minutes to do her entire face so it's not a long, grueling process like hair has been for us in the past.

My CP and I share the same skin tone paleness; I have a very difficult time tanning and when I do tan it comes only after some pretty severe burning. Needless to say, I don't do it often and typically when it happens it was by accident. All throughout middle and high school I was told I was too pale and even made fun of for it primarily from non-white students. Looking back, I didn't really develop a complex over it but I did wish I could go into a tanning bed and actually come out tan or go to the beach and not have to become a lobster for 2 weeks to hold color. Spray tanning was only starting become more commercialized in my area or I may have turned to that. For dance, I had a judge actually call me out on a tape at one competition because you could see a sliver of my stomach and the judge said it was distracting against the orange of our uniforms. From that point on, I had to wear a nude (darker than my actual flesh) leo under my uniform so I appeared darker than I was and my skin was no longer a 'shiny distraction".

I realize my First World Paleness Problems by no means relate to the severity of the animosity felt from slavery and the drive many African Americans feel to bleach their skin as a result---I can not relate to that in any way shape or form.

Beauty in the Victorian age... Time machine for you guys? ;)

"The Victorians loved pale skin. It was a sign of nobility. It meant women were well-off, and could afford not to spend hours working outdoors, which would inevitably result in a tan. The horror!"

Beauty In The Victorian Age
And wealthy women at the time used to apply white lead to their faces to look as pale as possible. Problem was, the lead was horrible for their skin and made them age terribly.

Or...

Wait, people actually said all this to you? Wow that's sad. I always get are you sure you're NA because you're really white. Even when I'm tan I'm still lighter than my family lol.

what is manhunt game? Is it like hide and seek you play at night. Seeker has a flashlight they shine on the hiders? If so I played that once but we call it ghost hunters.

And wealthy women at the time used to apply white lead to their faces to look as pale as possible. Problem was, the lead was horrible for their skin and made them age terribly.

Yes you're right, that's crazy! It mentions about it in the article I linked, under Complexion click "deadly mixtures". Ugh.

Wait, people actually said all this to you? Wow that's sad. I always get are you sure you're NA because you're really white. Even when I'm tan I'm still lighter than my family lol.

what is manhunt game? Is it like hide and seek you play at night. Seeker has a flashlight they shine on the hiders? If so I played that once but we call it ghost hunters.

Lol yes, that was all said to me.

Manhunt is exactly hide and go seek in the dark. It used to be a big thing in my neighborhood and all the kids would play in the summer. It was fun but not the consistently getting picked last thing (which was absurd, I was the best at hiding and sneaking around. Ya gotta lurk in the shadows ;) Maybe I actually am a vampire?)

I can definitely see how the "you look too white to be NA" comments are a thing. It reminds me of those "you look too white to be Hispanic" comments. Skin colors are so weird.

Lol yes, that was all said to me.

Manhunt is exactly hide and go seek in the dark. It used to be a big thing in my neighborhood and all the kids would play in the summer. It was fun but not the consistently getting picked last thing (which was absurd, I was the best at hiding and sneaking around. Ya gotta lurk in the shadows ;) Maybe I actually am a vampire?)

I can definitely see how the "you look too white to be NA" comments are a thing. It reminds me of those "you look too white to be Hispanic" comments. Skin colors are so weird.

That's funny, but yet not funny because I can totally relate to all of it.

ETA: I agree that skin colors are weird. My BIL is black, but on the lighter side and is often mistaken for Hispanic when he's out of town.

Or...

Who are these ugly-soul fun suckers you people call friends?

For the record- I'm an average shade white girl, and I don't think most of these kids need more than a quick bit of liner and mascara, and that's if they're juniors. Also- have we established why the judges NEED to be 20ft away? Wouldn't it be more beneficial for them to be closer? Might help them see a bit better.

Stage level makeup was meant for the people in the back..judges shouldn't be in the back of the hall.

Back