All-Star Youth Makeup

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Am I the only one confused by the attack on @FamousxMindset blanket opinion about not putting foundation and a smokey eye on an 8 year old. Like she/he said it to no one in particular

Like some of y'all came at her/him with a "hit dog will holler" attitude....and I don't get it

I agree about the foundation thing (a smoky eye doesn't bother me so much ). I don't have kids (thankfully) but everyone knows I'm my nieces cheer mom and home girl doesn't wear foundation (or powder). Her mom (my sister) says "don't put foundation on my kid" and I say "um....wtf would I put foundation on your 8/9/10 (however old she is at the given time) child"

I'd also like to point out that my older sister is also one that said growing up "my child will never wear all of this ________ make up" and well look at God, her child doesn't. So I mean sure some opinions change on the matter....but some don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The manner in which the childless poster wrote her posts made it seem as if the posters with CPs were being terrible parents and harming their kids by following their gyms rules and putting make up on their CP for performances.

Her opinion was one thing, everyone is allowed an opinion - but criticising others when you haven't experienced the situation isn't very fair, especially when said parents are just doing what they are told.

This is what irked me a little.

Note to say - I dont have any kids lol

There is no way I'm putting foundation and a smokey eye on my imaginary 8 year old. Nope and I'm not sorry.

@Jennie

I mean I don't know how you got all of that from this.

They didn't criticize. They made a contribution to a discussion to no one in particular.....and then people got all in their feelings.

The problem with communicating with people solely through written word is that people interpret tones however they see fit for their own agenda and they go out of their way to try to take offense when none was meant.

I mean I didn't read their comment and think that an eye roll, neck roll , finger wag and look of disdain would accompany it but I mean....

The conversation that came after that statement was a direct reflection of how other posters jumped on him/her. I would have gone on the defensive as well.

Last edited:
Eyeliners have also gotten SOFTER. The stuff that was used on me in the 90s- OUCH. Worst time of my life.
My sisters and mom would use a lighter to soften it. Are talking about the red cover girl pencils? If so they still sell them lol. I don't know if it's still hard though.

Am I the only one confused by the attack on @FamousxMindset blanket opinion about not putting foundation and a smokey eye on an 8 year old. Like she/he said it to no one in particular

Like some of y'all came at her/him with a "hit dog will holler" attitude....and I don't get it

I agree about the foundation thing (a smoky eye doesn't bother me so much ). I don't have kids (thankfully) but everyone knows I'm my nieces cheer mom and home girl doesn't wear foundation (or powder). Her mom (my sister) says "don't put foundation on my kid" and I say "um....wtf would I put foundation on your 8/9/10 (however old she is at the given time) child"

I'd also like to point out that my older sister is also one that said growing up "my child will never wear all of this ________ make up" and well look at God, her child doesn't. So I mean sure some opinions change on the matter....but some don't.

Like why am I going to use my $50 foundation (my niece and I would wear the same color) on a 10 yr old with already flawless, blemish free skin. Girl bye.

I don't understand this concept of needing foundation to avoid being "washed out". Genuinely don't. Do brown kids not wash out and that's why we don't get the foundation need? @onecoolcoachnowmom pointed out that maybe it's racial and I can attest that I never wore foundation until I was mid 20s (because I had no need..).

Is it a pigment thing? Are y'all putting darker foundation on your kids to help avoid "wash out"? Help me understand.... This confusion is right up there with spray tans for me.

CP is a blue eyed blonde and she didn't use foundation for many years...just blush/bronzer.

Am I the only one confused by the attack on

For me personally, comparing cancer and make-up irked me a lot because well, that's a personal subject to me. But it's also not the first time the poster has made the same exact comment in a different thread, only this time went on to further up the anty of saying anyone who has experienced washed out kids is essentially lying because she coaches HS and doesn't have that problem. To me, that was an attack on more than just a few in this thread; really though, the cancer comment just pissed me off a lot.

As for the foundation thing, here are a few examples of what happens when CP doesn't wear a slightly darker toned powder (I don't use foundation). My mom, being total serious, watches CP's videos and follows her legs to tell where she is in the routine because she is really just that pale.

For privacy reasons, I've blocked the other kids but the other child to her left; who may have also been washed out because of the white back drop (and why I know it's simply my kid's skin tone that's the issue) can be seen clearly but she's a different race. Therefore, the racial theory may accurate.

Each competition had a different lighting system and CP just glows like a ghost. And it's not even just these two pictures, it's every single action shot from these competitions and comps where she's worn a more natural look.

For me personally, comparing cancer and make-up irked me a lot because well, that's a personal subject to me. But it's also not the first time the poster has made the same exact comment in a different thread, only this time went on to further up the anty of saying anyone who has experienced washed out kids is essentially lying because she coaches HS and doesn't have that problem. To me, that was an attack on more than just a few in this thread; really though, the cancer comment just pissed me off a lot.

As for the foundation thing, here are a few examples of what happens when CP doesn't wear a slightly darker toned powder (I don't use foundation). My mom, being total serious, watches CP's videos and follows her legs to tell where she is in the routine because she is really just that pale.

For privacy reasons, I've blocked the other kids but the other child to her left; who may have also been washed out because of the white back drop (and why I know it's simply my kid's skin tone that's the issue) can be seen clearly but she's a different race. Therefore, the racial theory may accurate.

Each competition had a different lighting system and CP just glows like a ghost. And it's not even just these two pictures, it's every single action shot from these competitions and comps where she's worn a more natural look.

He didn't compare make up to cancer. To me he didn't imply that make up and cancer were necessarily on the same level but rather across the board you don't necessarily have to have immediate first hand experience with a situation to have an opinion on it. I would never say someone "oh well you can't think there's a problem with mass murder because you personally haven't lost a close friend to the worst slaughter of human life based solely on race since the civil rights era". But I also wouldn't get upset if someone used it to put something into perspective. H-ll I would hope you wouldn't need that experience to know something like that is terrible. He was pointing out that you can't dismiss someone's opinion because you've experienced x-y-z and they've only experienced x-y. It's a matter of semantics. Was his example extreme? Sure. Was it necessary? Naw. But again I feel like a couple of posters jumped on their high horse and acted overly indignant about it.

But who cares? I don't personally truly don't care.....I'm just able to distinguish the fact that "offense" didn't seem to be that posters intent and sometimes it's not necessary to pull out the pitch fork

And the washed out pictures. I still don't get it. She doesn't glow like a ghost to me. I can't find a tactful way to explain why I still don't get it, so I'll just leave it alone. Being fair skinned is hard I guess. I wouldn't know.

I'm confused you are making it sound like I said having cancer is a cakewalk... You obviously have an issue with my post so feel free to take advantage of thee ignore feature. Cancer has affected my personal life as well so I am very aware of the severity of the disease. However, you obviously missed the point of my original statement. I didn't call you a liar however I said it was an excuse, and it is. Also she is a he.

And the washed out pictures. I still don't get it. She doesn't glow like a ghost to me. I can't find a tactful way to explain why I still don't get it, so I'll just leave it alone. Being fair skinned is hard I guess. I wouldn't know.

Perhaps it boils down to preference then because to me, I don't like either picture. She has pictures from her dance recitals---pre cheer where she had to wear much heavier make-up than cheer has ever asked for---and I could see her face clearly despite the lights. I prefer that look, I guess.

I'm confused you are making it sound like I said having cancer is a cakewalk... You obviously have an issue with my post so feel free to take advantage of thee ignore feature. Cancer has affected my personal life as well so I am very aware of the severity of the disease. However, you obviously missed the point of my original statement. I didn't call you a liar however I said it was an excuse, and it is. Also she is a he.

My apologies, I didn't realize you were a he and not a she.

Like why am I going to use my $50 foundation (my niece and I would wear the same color) on a 10 yr old with already flawless, blemish free skin. Girl bye.

I don't understand this concept of needing foundation to avoid being "washed out". Genuinely don't. Do brown kids not wash out and that's why we don't get the foundation need? @onecoolcoachnowmom pointed out that maybe it's racial and I can attest that I never wore foundation until I was mid 20s (because I had no need..).

Is it a pigment thing? Are y'all putting darker foundation on your kids to help avoid "wash out"? Help me understand.... This confusion is right up there with spray tans for me.

For, us I use foundation on my 12 year old for allergy issues. She is allergic to some of the ingredients in color cosmetics that the gym orders, so I put a layer of hypoallergenic foundation between her skin and the makeup. That way she doesn't deal with excema for a week after a comp. Even matching her skin tone, it helps with wash out because it provides an even canvas to apply color to. I don't ever go darker than her natural match.

For me, I started using foundation in my early teens because very fair skin is prone to redness from even the tiniest irritation and it sticks out in a big way on skin that is super fair. I have family with darker skin and they don't need nearly as much foundation. Also, if I am the least bit tired my dark under eye circles show horribly. There simply is no pigment to camouflage flaws in super pale skin. Every blemish shows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it's fine to use foundation if you need to, or if you think your kid looks too pale otherwise. But how common is it that a gym requires mini or youth aged athletes to wear foundation? I hope not very common. I would be annoyed if it was required by our gym. (It's not but lots of other makeup is required, including eyeliner.)

So to sum it up... @FamousxMindset I understand your point of view and I can (almost) agree with picking another gym over foundation. But not over eyeliner. I think you might have to compromise there when you get your future CP! :)

Wash out and glowing like a ghost are 2 different issues. Wash out is when they have no distinguishable features from the audience and/or look sick or tired because of the total lack of color in their faces. I can definitely see what the PP is talking about in the pictures because my CP gets it too. When the light hits their face, all you see is bright site, not their features. It's much worse when they are moving. I don't have to use darker foundation in my kid to avoid it, but I do have to use powder to cut the shine, and contour a bit with her blush. Every kid is a little different as to the best way to deal with it, but with very pale kids you do need to deal with it for stage if you want your kid not to look like a sickly ghost. I wouldn't have to use the foundation if it weren't for her allergies, but definitely would still use powder and contour with blush. Darker skin tones are MUCH less prone to wash out because they don't reflect the light in the same way.

The glowing like a ghost part can only be cured by spray tan, and it doesn't bother me so much as long as I can see her face and the lights don't wash her to the point she looks sick.

Wash out and glowing like a ghost are 2 different issues. Wash out is when they have no distinguishable features from the audience and/or look sick or tired because of the total lack of color in their faces. I can definitely see what the PP is talking about in the pictures because my CP gets it too. When the light hits their face, all you see is bright site, not their features. It's much worse when they are moving. I don't have to use darker foundation in my kid to avoid it, but I do have to use powder to cut the shine, and contour a bit with her blush. Every kid is a little different as to the best way to deal with it, but with very pale kids you do need to deal with it for stage if you want your kid not to look like a sickly ghost. I wouldn't have to use the foundation if it weren't for her allergies, but definitely would still use powder and contour with blush. Darker skin tones are MUCH less prone to wash out because they don't reflect the light in the same way.

The glowing like a ghost part can only be cured by spray tan, and it doesn't bother me so much as long as I can see her face and the lights don't wash her to the point she looks sick.

I mean well, I said I didn't understand the "washed out" issue and then the poster posted a picture and said that was her kid flowing like a ghost, so it sounds like these are issues that go hand in hand (granted I don't see it but whatever)

But honestly to me all of this sounds quite sad. Like are you telling the actual kids these actual reasons for needing all of this make up and spray tanning? Do they not develop complex issues and insecurities? I mean in Black culture skin tone has always been an divisive issue going back to slavery, to the point where black people today still bleach their skin.....so I just can't imagine taking my 10 yo niece and saying "you look too ____ in the lights let me _____ so it looks better". Like I look at those pictures and see nothing wrong with the kid and imagining having to do all of that to a child for these superficial reasons almost makes me cringe.

But I mean this will never be my battle so if y'all like it, I love it. Do you.

I mean well, I said I didn't understand the "washed out" issue and then the poster posted a picture and said that was her kid flowing like a ghost, so it sounds like these are issues that go hand in hand (granted I don't see it but whatever)

But honestly to me all of this sounds quite sad. Like are you telling the actual kids these actual reasons for needing all of this make up and spray tanning? Do they not develop complex issues and insecurities? I mean in Black culture skin tone has always been an divisive issue going back to slavery, to the point where black people today still bleach their skin.....so I just can't imagine taking my 10 yo niece and saying "you look too ____ in the lights let me _____ so it looks better". Like I look at those pictures and see nothing wrong with the kid and imagining having to do all of that to a child for these superficial reasons almost makes me cringe.

But I mean this will never be my battle so if y'all like it, I love it. Do you.

What swe do so we can be seen from the stage is vastly different and separate from what we do every day, and my child knows that. Everyone needs more makeup under the lights than they do in real life. I did talk to my child from a young age about why we wear makeup for cheer and dance but not every day. About the fact that it is necessary for our features to be seen from stage, and that everyone's skin and face is different and everyone needs different kinds of makeup to look their best on stage. She has no self esteem issues, quite the opposite. She doesn't have any hang ups about her appearance just because she wears stage makeup so that we can see her face on stage.

Believe it or not, skin tone is a thing in a lot of white families. It isn't the same issue at all, but can be an issue and source of teasing. I am the only pale one in a family with olive skin and lovely tans and have always caught grief for it. I get " are you really their kid?", "are you sure you belong to them?" Ect all the time. My white legs got made fun of in high school because I really just cannot tan. I burn and am pale again, and was that way in a era when tan was in. Pale is associated with the nerdy girl who doesn't get out in the sun and isn't athletic. There is definitely some stereotyping based on skin tone.

Back