All-Star Youth Makeup

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

First hand experience isn't always needed to form an opinion. That is all I'm saying.

I agree that anyone can form an opinion about something without having first hand experience. I think that comparing it to cancer though was a bit of a stretch considering that cancer tends to be a very touchy subject.

However, I think that experience has a big influence on one's opinion. Disagreements arise when 2 people have very different experiences and therefore have very different opinions. No one is wrong in either situation. It is challenging to see someone else's perspective when you've never had to see it that way or have had the chance to see it that way.

First hand experience isn't always needed to form an opinion. That is all I'm saying.
True, but in the case of children it's completely different. I had all kinds of preconceived notions about what kind of parent I would be and what things I would and wouldn't let my children do. I now have four kids and trust me the reality is much, much different from the hypothetical. As an example, I always said I if I had a girl I would never let her cheer...

True, but in the case of children it's completely different. I had all kinds of preconceived notions about what kind of parent I would be and what things I would and wouldn't let my children do. I now have four kids and trust me the reality is much, much different from the hypothetical. As an example, I always said I if I had a girl I would never let her cheer...
My oldest is 14 and I'm still crossing the I'll nevers off of my list.

I am not a fan of makeup in literally most situations. I am not a fan of making children looking anything other than children. I am a coach myself; my team of high school aged all wore fresh faces with neutral eye and a pink lip. They performed under big lights and not one of them were washed out even the palest one. So, no I obviously don't believe the you can't see them on stage excuse. I understand that this is a performance based sport and sometimes a little makeup can really turn up the performance factor. However, we need to question ourselves as industry leaders, coaches, and parents is the really for the benefit of the performance or is it bs. Your contour can be slayed for the Gods but that won't keep your flyer in the air.

I am not a fan of makeup in literally most situations. I am not a fan of making children looking anything other than children. I am a coach myself; my team of high school aged all wore fresh faces with neutral eye and a pink lip. They performed under big lights and not one of them were washed out even the palest one. So, no I obviously don't believe the you can't see them on stage excuse. I understand that this is a performance based sport and sometimes a little makeup can really turn up the performance factor. However, we need to question ourselves as industry leaders, coaches, and parents is the really for the benefit of the performance or is it bs. Your contour can be slayed for the Gods but that won't keep your flyer in the air.
Where did your team compete? Was there stage lighting, with everything but the stage dark? Or was it all one level lighting?

I only ask because I see the difference in my action shots throughout the years with being heavy handed with contour and blush.

Also, I honestly think as far as all star cheer goes, makeup has actually TONED DOWN for kids in recent years.

I mean, some of us competed in STAR STICKERS, TOTAL GLITTER EYELIDS, and CLOWN BLUSH/LIPSTICK.

Current make up is such that you don't immediately want to wash your face before you leave the arena because the outside world will think you're Bozo the Clown.

It's not BS, it's stage make up. It's over exaggerated for the purpose of the performance. So the judges who are 20+ feet away can see the athletes' faces under bright stage lights. It's NOT meant for the coach sitting 5 ft away from the mat who can see which girl decided to not shave the night before. And I'm really hoping make up is the least of the worries for our "industry leaders, coaches, and parents". In the entirety of cheer, the make up is a non issue.

And I see your fallacious comparison between make up to skill execution. You're 0 and 2 for comparisons now.

Talk to me when you have a real 8 year old. I said exactly the same thing.... before I had a child with a love for the stage. I know its cliche, but its 100% true. Your perspective on things changes when you have children of your own, and things that you swore you would "never " do start happening. It really isn't as big a deal as it seems when I was a 20 something who knew EVERYTHING about raising children. Now, i just realize how much I DON'T know and how much isn't as black and white as I thought it was.

I couldn't agree more. And this goes for nearly every aspect of parenting; what you think and believe now is irrelevant until they're there. Then we'll talk.

I don't need to have a child to formulate an opinion if children should wear heavy make up. It's like saying you need to have cancer to understand its not an enjoyable experience.

:jawdrop:

200_s.gif

Coming from someone with, well ya know, first hand experience on both counts.

For those that don't like the two step fiber mascaras, I highly recommend Lorac Pro+fiber. It's their same mascara formula with fibers in it to add length/volume but without having to apply loose fibers. I have contacts and easily irritated eyes but I never experienced any more fallout than a regular mascara!

Also as far as not getting breakouts, I always exfoliate my skin well after I take off a heavy application of makeup and then use a purifying mask to get the gunk out. Not exfoliating will lead to a greater chance of breakouts! The clinique 7day scrub is a good one for sensitive skin because it's not too abrasive:)

Eta: as far as putting makeup on kids, I'm just glad eyebrows are a popular thing now with many color choices because back in the 90s I had one too many action shots with orange eyebrows(thanks mom ;) ). But seriously I'm glad my mom was such a bad parent and put makeup on me because it made me fall in love with makeup and now I'm able to get paid to do it on others! ;)

Last edited:
Am I the only one confused by the attack on @FamousxMindset blanket opinion about not putting foundation and a smokey eye on an 8 year old. Like she/he said it to no one in particular

Like some of y'all came at her/him with a "hit dog will holler" attitude....and I don't get it

I agree about the foundation thing (a smoky eye doesn't bother me so much ). I don't have kids (thankfully) but everyone knows I'm my nieces cheer mom and home girl doesn't wear foundation (or powder). Her mom (my sister) says "don't put foundation on my kid" and I say "um....wtf would I put foundation on your 8/9/10 (however old she is at the given time) child"

I'd also like to point out that my older sister is also one that said growing up "my child will never wear all of this ________ make up" and well look at God, her child doesn't. So I mean sure some opinions change on the matter....but some don't.

Like why am I going to use my $50 foundation (my niece and I would wear the same color) on a 10 yr old with already flawless, blemish free skin. Girl bye.

I don't understand this concept of needing foundation to avoid being "washed out". Genuinely don't. Do brown kids not wash out and that's why we don't get the foundation need? @onecoolcoachnowmom pointed out that maybe it's racial and I can attest that I never wore foundation until I was mid 20s (because I had no need..).

Is it a pigment thing? Are y'all putting darker foundation on your kids to help avoid "wash out"? Help me understand.... This confusion is right up there with spray tans for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back