All-Star Youth Makeup

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Our gym does not allow makeup at all for mini/youth, which I think is good. They are not old enough so that they are already using makeup, so why really should you put in on them for a competition? Putting makeup on a little kid just puts focus on the wrong things imo. Let the kids just focus on their performance and on having a good time!

Juniors at our gym wear a soft brown sparkly smoky eye with a lip tint and seniors wear a black and silvery kinda smoky eye with pink/reddish lips. Nothing over the top, just a nice makeup look.

I remember teams doing one blue glitter eye and one red, or crazy two inch eyliner wings and things 10 years ago but I like just a nice smoky eye and lipstick. Stay classy.

Without make-up, you'd never see my child's face on stage. The lights are too bright and literally you wouldn't even be able to tell if she were smiling. Stage make-up is very different from everyday make-up.

Our gym does not allow makeup at all for mini/youth, which I think is good. They are not old enough so that they are already using makeup, so why really should you put in on them for a competition? Putting makeup on a little kid just puts focus on the wrong things imo. Let the kids just focus on their performance and on having a good time!

Juniors at our gym wear a soft brown sparkly smoky eye with a lip tint and seniors wear a black and silvery kinda smoky eye with pink/reddish lips. Nothing over the top, just a nice makeup look.

I remember teams doing one blue glitter eye and one red, or crazy two inch eyliner wings and things 10 years ago but I like just a nice smoky eye and lipstick. Stay classy.
I don't agree with this.
1. 11-12 year olds on a youth team would be in middle school and may wear makeup, my 6th grade CP wears light makeup to school.

2. STAGE makeup is very different than makeup on a daily basis. Kids involved in dance and theater wear it so that features and expressions can be clearly seen on stage. It serves the same purpose in cheer. CP has been wearing stage makeup since age 4. The moms who choose not to do it for the first dance recital because they are "too young" seldom make that choice a second time after they realize their child's features are indistinguishable from the audience and they lose the entire performance experience because they cannot see the expressions on their child's face, live or on the video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. I wore make up for dance when I was mini aged and make up for cheer when I was youth age. For dance I used more face make up but for cheer it was normally eye shadow and lipstick, a little blush. I'm black so I don't really have the wash out issue.

And that was the only time I wore it. I wasn't even allowed to wear eyeliner until I was in eighth grade/freshman in HS. Makeup in cheer is no different than wearing sweatbands in basketball. Not needed but helpful.

The too young argument for cheer make up is so lost on me. It's not like you're doing make up to go out or for everyday, it is performance make up..

edited bc I just realized my typos.

Last edited:
At our gym, Tiny through Seni0r, the only requirement is the red lipstick. Other than that, make-up basically needs to be conservative and age appropriate.

I'm on the fence as I often am... I agree with the stage makeup argument. CP loves wearing makeup. But I'm slightly annoyed at our gym's complicated makeup instructions. 4 different color eyeshadow? I think I'll cheat and only do 3... lol.

I'm on the fence as I often am... I agree with the stage makeup argument. CP loves wearing makeup. But I'm slightly annoyed at our gym's complicated makeup instructions. 4 different color eyeshadow? I think I'll cheat and only do 3... lol.

Are they going for a smokey eye type look? CP's gym does that and it requires 4 colors.

Are they going for a smokey eye type look? CP's gym does that and it requires 4 colors.

Yup that's it. Black, silver, grey, white. I might just not do the grey, but I'm waiting for help from my makeup artist friend. The picture the gym sent looks like just black & silver. I wonder if the coach would spot it... "Susie, you are not wearing the grey, wash it off and start again!" :p

Yup that's it. Black, silver, grey, white. I might just not do the grey, but I'm waiting for help from my makeup artist friend. The picture the gym sent looks like just black & silver. I wonder if the coach would spot it... "Susie, you are not wearing the grey, wash it off and start again!" :p

I use 4 colors on droplet.. First because I use a base teal since it sometimes fades a little between meet time and performance time, and secondly, for blending. It's easier to take the colors mesh if you have a variety. Also, if there is white, that's a highlighting thing usually to brighten the eyes.

I am definitely not a makeup expert, but this is what I have learned this year. Droplet wears white, silver, teal, and a tiny tiny touch of black for every team. (She is only on youth teams)

I use 4 colors on droplet.. First because I use a base teal since it sometimes fades a little between meet time and performance time, and secondly, for blending. It's easier to take the colors mesh if you have a variety. Also, if there is white, that's a highlighting thing usually to brighten the eyes.

I am definitely not a makeup expert, but this is what I have learned this year. Droplet wears white, silver, teal, and a tiny tiny touch of black for every team. (She is only on youth teams)

That makes sense and the colors are different! I'm not getting the silver and grey, but it's no biggie, I'll make it look good somehow whether I end up using 3 or 4 colors. :)

That makes sense and the colors are different! I'm not getting the silver and grey, but it's no biggie, I'll make it look good somehow whether I end up using 3 or 4 colors. :)
When you mentioned all of the colors, I immediately thought "nope, there's no way I would buy gray." Lol there is no chance they will know.

I would imagine it would be pretty unusual for them to know. As far as I know, no one checks my kids eyeballs up close when we go for meet time. I think it's more of a "close enough to look uniform?" "Yep" "ok moving on" type situation.

Back