All-Star Youth Makeup

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Maybe not foundation, but you aren't going to cheer pretty much anywhere in this country refusing eye makeup. Certainly not any gym that has made a name for themselves. Even Ace, famous for the athletic look with minimal frill, requires eyes to be done. So, like I said, when you have a child and are willing to deny them the ability to cheer over eyeliner, talk to me. I am sorry you are offended by this, but until you actually have a child, you have NO HOPE of understanding this discussion.
I don't need to have a child to formulate an opinion if children should wear heavy make up. It's like saying you need to have cancer to understand its not an enjoyable experience.

I don't need to have a child to formulate an opinion if children should wear heavy make up. It's like saying you need to have cancer to understand its not an enjoyable experience.
The fact that you would even make that comparison shows just how much you don't understand it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fact that you would even make that comparison shows just how much you don't understand it

I didn't attack your opinion, I didn't say that you were wrong. I only stated what I think its right. Just because something is acceptable to you or the majority of the industry doesn't mean I have to agree with it or accept it.

I didn't attack your opinion, I didn't say that you were wrong. I only stated what I think its right. Just because something is acceptable to you or the majority of the industry doesn't mean I have to agree with it or accept it.
Saying you don't think it's a good thing is different than saying I would never do that for my child. Up don't know that until you are put in that position. Would you really deny your child the ability to cheer over it? Honestly?
Eta: no one is attacking your opinion. I don't care for the way you are choosing to express it, but you are entitled to say you don't think makeup on kids is a good thing. I don't think claiming you would never put it on your child is valid until you actually have a child and gave to choose between standing your ground about it and not letting her cheer or allowing it so she can

Last edited:
Saying you don't think it's a good thing is different than saying I would never do that for my child. Up don't know that until you are put in that position. Would you really deny your child the ability to cheer over it? Honestly?
I'd find another gym. I don't understand why parents forget that they have rights, we are the customer at the end of the day. If a gym owner can't understand why I don't want my 7 year old in heavy makeup that gym isn't for my family. Hypothetically I am not asking the world to stop and revolve around kid, I wouldn't be asking for something that's outlandish.

I'd find another gym. I don't understand why parents forget that they have rights, we are the customer at the end of the day. If a gym owner can't understand why I don't want my 7 year old in heavy makeup that gym isn't for my family. Hypothetically I am not asking the world to stop and revolve around kid, I wouldn't be asking for something that's outlandish.
You aren't going to find an gym that will let you dictate what makeup they wear. Pretty much every gym required makeup so you choice will be put it on or don't cheer. Would you really pull a child over it?

Maybe it's a racial thing, but I didn't bother with foundation (even for cheer) until I was like, 18.

Granted, I did not start all stars as early as most kids do now. I was strictly rec/football when I was in elementary school (which didn't require much make up.)

Once I started cheering school and all star, I had required make up but never really bothered with foundation.

Not opposed to it, but just offering some perspective.

Last edited:
You aren't going to find an gym that will let you dictate what makeup they wear. Pretty much every gym required makeup so you choice will be put it on or don't cheer. Would you really pull a child over it?

I am the parent, I cut the checks. Again if my child was asked to leave simply because she isn't covered in makeup that is not the gym for us.

I am the parent, I cut the checks. Again if my child was asked to leave simply because she isn't covered in makeup that is not the gym for us.
Well, there isn't a gym for you if you aren't willing to follow the hair and makeup rules so I am going to ask one more time: if the choice is makeup or don't cheer, which do you choose because that is the reality of the situation in the vast majority of places. There isn't a gym available that doesn't require it to take the mat.

I will also say that I coach HS and have dealt with middle school kids as well. I tell kids to look "game day pretty" for games.

When they ask what that looks like, I show them pics of some collegiate athletes made up for game day. Not over the top, but definitely looks like you made an effort.

That means make up. Not all star level make up, but you definitely need make up on, a pretty lip, some shadow, etc. Not like you're going to prom per se, but I should definitely be able to see that you put some effort into your appearance.

For some kids, that means foundation. I don't mandate it, but for some, it is part of looking put together.

I'm not benching anyone for refusing to put on foundation, but this is a performance activity under lights. You need to have something on that keeps you from washing out.

Maybe it's a racial thing, but I didn't bother with foundation (even for cheer) until I was like, 18.

Granted, I did not start all stars as early as most kids do now. I was strictly rec/football when I was in elementary school (which didn't require much make up.)

Once I started cheering school and all star, I had required make up but never really bothered with foundation.

Not opposed to it, but just offering some perspective.
True, but many gyms do require it. Almost all require eye makeup, even for minis. It's just something that comes with the territory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will also say that I coach HS and have dealt with middle school kids as well. I tell kids to look "game day pretty" for games.

When they ask what that looks like, I show them pics of some collegiate athletes made up for game day. Not over the top, but definitely looks like you made an effort.

That means make up. Not all star level make up, but you definitely need make up on, a pretty lip, some shadow, etc. Not like you're going to prom per se, but I should definitely be able to see that you put some effort into your appearance.

For some kids, that means foundation. I don't mandate it, but for some, it is part of looking put together.

I'm not benching anyone for refusing to put on foundation, but this is a performance activity under lights. You need to have something on that keeps you from washing out.
I think some of that goes to skin tone. I am ghostly pale, and foundation is a necessity if I want to look at all put together because every blemish or little red spot shows. My mom on the other had has an olive complexion and doesn't need it because redness doesn't stick out as much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe it's because I started dance classes at three, and so have been wearing stage makeup since before I can remember, but I really don't have a problem with makeup when a kid is this young. My parents never forced me to wear eye makeup, but I understood that it's simply required when it comes to cheer and dance. And I wasn't allowed to wear makeup socially until I was well and truly a teenager.

I just consider makeup to be an extension of a costume or uniform.

Maybe it's because I started dance classes at three, and so have been wearing stage makeup since before I can remember, but I really don't have a problem with makeup when a kid is this young. My parents never forced me to wear eye makeup, but I understood that it's simply required when it comes to cheer and dance. And I wasn't allowed to wear makeup socially until I was well and truly a teenager.

Yes.

I know quite a few Mini and Youth age parents and I don't think any of their kids wear make up outside of cheer.

See also: pageants. I have nieces who competed in pageants. Those (even the natural ones that they competed in) required some make up. Outside of that, they certainly were not just walking around with full make up on.

This exactly.

Back