All-Star 2011-2012 Season Advice?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm already mentally preparing to cry for every single one of my cheer 'lasts'. My mom is going to be a wreck by the end of the season hahah
I already apologized to my teammates for the wreck that I'll become before our day 2 of NCA in february...it won't be prettty.

Things I've learned while being in Fierceboard Chat:
*Anything you say/do in uniform can and WILL be held against you. Even when you're not in uniform and even IF it was misconstrued, it will also be held against you.
*Ignore anybody who says you shouldn't be excited to get first place (it is a reward of hard work and consistency). BUT be good winners or good not-first-place-teams. Being rude about whatever place you got will NOT endear you to anyone..and it will end up on the Fierceboard.
*Be careful about what you say/tweet/blog on any social media site. It will be found by the board and will be used against you. Often.
*NO UGGS. For the love of all things holy, they are cold weather shoes. If you can wear a skirt and not be cold, you do not need to be in UGGS as well. It defies the rules of fashion..and temperature.
*Don't roll your skirt, don't stick your phone in your skirt (which I'm often tempted to do, I know), don't get all makey-outy with your bf/gf in front of the whole arena, don't walk around like the first stop on the Hot Mess Train..Nobody wants to be 'That Girl' or 'That Couple.' It is awkward, sloppy, and doesn't reflect well on you or your gym.
*Enjoy yourselves...tastefully. Meet new people (not while in the bathroom sick from doing things you shouldn't)..take pictures (that are classy, show you at your best, and will give you great memories)...enjoy your time with your team (and keep it drama-free)..love the sport (but don't let this one aspect make or break you)..find out who you are (without letting others define who you are)..grow as an athlete (while staying safe, happy and healthy).

My friend Sassy has covered everything rather well and she tells the truth. The only thing I might add to this is please do not impersonate any "cheerlebrity" on facebook, formspring or twitter. You will be found out rather quickly (We all know Bay would not be tweeting from the mat during awards at worlds........nobody bought that by the way........And Amanda, we were on to you the from the very first post/tweet Just stop!!!) and talked about in the fiercechat! Although it does give us something to do in between teams and sometimes gives us the only laugh we've had that day.....just say NO!!!

QUESTION: When I walk onto the floor I turn to mush. My whole body turns into spaghetti and I feel like I am going to just collapse. I dont get a rush of adrenaline or anything. Does anyone else experience this?

I used to get like that in high school - my whole body got kind of shaky, it sucked for stunts. I grew out of it though.

I guess my advice would be to get there early. I prefer to do my hair and makeup at the competition and take my time rather than rushing to get there right at the designated time. I do much better when I can relax and get acclimated to the place than if I'm frazzled.

I don't understand all the UGG hate. Convention centers/arenas are cold. It's cold outside and inside in New England in January/February/March. And I have poor circulation, my feet are always cold, and my feet hurt when I stand around in my cheer sneakers all day. I do flip flops when it's warm enough, but to do that in the winter I still have to carry around an extra pair of shoes. Uggs makes a world of difference in how cold your body is when you're wearing a skirt. Just like wearing a sweatshirt with a skirt is still warmer than not wearing one.

I used to get like that in high school - my whole body got kind of shaky, it sucked for stunts. I grew out of it though.

I guess my advice would be to get there early. I prefer to do my hair and makeup at the competition and take my time rather than rushing to get there right at the designated time. I do much better when I can relax and get acclimated to the place than if I'm frazzled.

I don't understand all the UGG hate. Convention centers/arenas are cold. It's cold outside and inside in New England in January/February/March. And I have poor circulation, my feet are always cold, and my feet hurt when I stand around in my cheer sneakers all day. I do flip flops when it's warm enough, but to do that in the winter I still have to carry around an extra pair of shoes. Uggs makes a world of difference in how cold your body is when you're wearing a skirt. Just like wearing a sweatshirt with a skirt is still warmer than not wearing one.
The UGGs don't bother me. Most of my cheerleaders take off their competition shoes and put on some sort of boots so their shoes don't get nasty (ever stepped in nachos left under a seat? Cokes spilled all over the floor everywhere you walk!). Some wear fuzzy boots, some wear sparkle boots...idc as long as they wear their warm up jacket too. The only thing I forbid is showing up to awards out of uniform. You must have your uniform or warm up jacket on. No bare feet and no slouchy pajamas, etc.!

The UGGs don't bother me. Most of my cheerleaders take off their competition shoes and put on some sort of boots so their shoes don't get nasty (ever stepped in nachos left under a seat? Cokes spilled all over the floor everywhere you walk!). Some wear fuzzy boots, some wear sparkle boots...idc as long as they wear their warm up jacket too. The only thing I forbid is showing up to awards out of uniform. You must have your uniform or warm up jacket on. No bare feet and no slouchy pajamas, etc.!

Our gym we have two options uniform or our leggings and warm up jacket. Levels 1-4 can only have cheer shoes on. at all. period. And if you get caught with a cell phone in your skirt or any part of your uniform undone and its gonna be BAD.

I actually think that Im growing out of it too, Ive performed twice already this year and havent experienced the whole mush feeling like I did last year. I think it had to do with it being my first year of being on a level 5 team. I am now more confident about the skills that Im throwing and know that things will hit so I dont get as nervous as I use to.

i just stole this from FB but i feel that it's appropriate for the season.
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows that it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a lion wakes up. It know that it must outrun the slowest gazelle, or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter if your a lion or a gazelle: WHEN THE SUN COMES UP YOU BETTER BE RUNNING!"

big gym, small gym it doesn't matter. we all work hard and we all want to be successful and we should realize that we are trying to do the same thing. not one gym is protected from injuries, financial issues, roster changes, or absences. let's give credit where credit is due and be proud of what we accomplish.

Words of wisdom from my coach: "NO CRYING ON THE BLUE MAT!"
But please though, if you face plant on your pass, please don't cry about it until you get off the floor.

Oh & another tip, don't take your uniform top off and walk around in just your sports bra & skirt, looks trashy!
And cheer for other teams! One team was yelling encouraging things to us while performing last weekend and it ment a lot!

Our gym we have two options uniform or our leggings and warm up jacket. Levels 1-4 can only have cheer shoes on. at all. period. And if you get caught with a cell phone in your skirt or any part of your uniform undone and its gonna be BAD.
So level 5's can wear whatever they want for shoes...? :confused:

Back