All-Star 2013 Pet Peeves

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Hahaha omg seriously!! If I hear one more person refer to a backhand spring as a "flip-flop" I'm climbing into that announcer booth myself

That is actually a term for it in both cheerleading and gymnastics. When I was in gymnastics, my gym sold the USAG level requirement and scoring booklet things...and in the glossary they listed both flip-flop and flic-flac for an alternative name for backhandspring.

That is actually a term for it in both cheerleading and gymnastics. When I was in gymnastics, my gym sold the USAG level requirement and scoring booklet things...and in the glossary they listed both flip-flop and flic-flac for an alternative name for backhandspring.
Omg you're kidding me! I've never heard that before. My friends who don't cheer will ask me to do a "flip-flop" because they have no idea what a bhs is called. (They call a tuck a flip haha)

Omg you're kidding me! I've never heard that before. My friends who don't cheer will ask me to do a "flip-flop" because they have no idea what a bhs is called. (They call a tuck a flip haha)

Yep! Actually, usagym.org's glossary doesn't have backhandspring or flip flop listed..they only have flic-flac.

Flic-Flac
Also known as a flip-flop or back handspring. Take off on one or two feet, jump backwards onto hands and land on feet. This element is used in a majority of tumbling passes on the floor exercise. It’s also used a great deal on the balance beam.

Yep! Actually, usagym.org's glossary doesn't have backhandspring or flip flop listed..they only have flic-flac.

Flic-Flac
Also known as a flip-flop or back handspring. Take off on one or two feet, jump backwards onto hands and land on feet. This element is used in a majority of tumbling passes on the floor exercise. It’s also used a great deal on the balance beam.
I learn something new every day :)

Either you all have straight leg scorps or you all don't... I hate it when less than half have them then the rest are ugly... So teams need to pick, everyone does straight legs or everyone have a bent leg... Every flyer should look the same regardless the flexiblitiy. It's so much cleaner!!!! :)

Either you all have straight leg scorps or you all don't... I hate it when less than half have them then the rest are ugly... So teams need to pick, everyone does straight legs or everyone have a bent leg... Every flyer should look the same regardless the flexiblitiy. It's so much cleaner!!!! :)
A lot of people on tumblr have been talking about this recently. From what I gather, CA Cheetahs don't allow needles, or at least they didn't when Cami Branson was flying because they wanted all the stunts to look the same. Now that she's on SOT her scorp is straighter. I guess some people feel it messes with their flexibility, or doesn't allow for them to strengthen it in that area because they are restricted.

I don't have an issue with the commentators for cheerleading as long as they're not getting anything wrong (when Amanda Borden called a group of roundoff handspring fulls "roundoff layouts"..........). Their commentary isn't there for us, the commentary is in place for people who don't know cheerleading, or don't know it well. They're putting it in lamest terms so the average viewer (though I doubt there are many for cheerleading on ESPN) can grasp SOMEWHAT what the sport is about. If they start talking about ball ups, tick tocks, whip doubles, full arounds, etc., the viewer is gonna get lost.

I don't have an issue with the commentators for cheerleading as long as they're not getting anything wrong (when Amanda Borden called a group of roundoff handspring fulls "roundoff layouts"..........). Their commentary isn't there for us, the commentary is in place for people who don't know cheerleading, or don't know it well. They're putting it in lamest terms so the average viewer (though I doubt there are many for cheerleading on ESPN) can grasp SOMEWHAT what the sport is about. If they start talking about ball ups, tick tocks, whip doubles, full arounds, etc., the viewer is gonna get lost.
And to add to that can they stop calling a scale a scorpion?

When teams put out videos of their practices/warm-ups/showcases/etc. and girls are shown with their hair down, chewing gum, or wearing belly button rings while performing. I know if I did any of that at practice in our own gym, let alone while being videotaped for the rest of the world to see, my coach would have a heart attack and demand I fix my hair, spit out my gum, or whatever it may be.

Latest posts

Back