College 2013 Uca College Nationals

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I understand, haha. I've loved UK cheer for a long time too.

At what point does a person simply say enough is enough? You can't be a 20 year old forever. How does someone who's thirty explain to their friends that they're about to go compete against 18 year olds?

I remember when HPU used to offer cheer scholarships for grad students. Basically they'd be getting a Master's degree for free and they get to do what they love and they're probably in better shape than their friends...sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me

I remember when HPU used to offer cheer scholarships for grad students. Basically they'd be getting a Master's degree for free and they get to do what they love and they're probably in better shape than their friends...sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me

yeah, it's a pretty sweet deal, but in what other sport could this happen? A hockey player or a volleyball player at my school can't just play four years on scholarship, graduate, and then go get a graduate degree at a different school to keep playing on scholarship. I'm sure UNC would have loved to keep Mia Hamm as a player for a long time (or another school would have snapped her up in a heartbeat for a graduate degree), but that's just not fair to other, younger, athletes who've been working their whole lives to play.

yeah, it's a pretty sweet deal, but in what other sport could this happen? A hockey player or a volleyball player at my school can't just play four years on scholarship, graduate, and then go get a graduate degree at a different school to keep playing on scholarship. I'm sure UNC would have loved to keep Mia Hamm as a player for a long time (or another school would have snapped her up in a heartbeat for a graduate degree), but that's just not fair to other, younger, athletes who've been working their whole lives to play.

Well I say until cheerleading gets to reap the benefits of being NCAA sport status, cheerleading should get to reap the benefits of NOT being NCAA sport status. Also, hockey, volleyball & soccer players usually have another level above college (pro, olympics). Sure, college would have loved to have Mia Hamm for another year, but would she have liked it? I'm pretty sure she enjoyed all the endorsements she received (i.e. something she could not have gotten while still playing an NCAA sport). College cheerleading is pretty much the peak of you're career, so you'll want to enjoy it as long as possible.

To add, younger athletes just need to strive to be better and faster than those who have been around for a while...and a lot of times they are. Look at how many gymnasts from the 2008 olympic team were picked for the 2012 olympic team. None. Just look at how many rookie qb's were in the NFL last season. Not everyone is like Tony Gonzalez and gets to play for 15 years...people fizz out, quit, get injured.

Also, just because you've worked you're entire life to play, doesn't mean you're entitled to play. You have to be better than the next guy and if the next guy has more years of experience, you're younger, more agile, and your body probably hasn't taken as much of a beating . . . WORK to be better than him.

To add, younger athletes just need to strive to be better and faster than those who have been around for a while...and a lot of times they are. Look at how many gymnasts from the 2008 olympic team were picked for the 2012 olympic team. None. Just look at how many rookie qb's were in the NFL last season. Not everyone is like Tony Gonzalez and gets to play for 15 years...people fizz out, quit, get injured.

Also, just because you've worked you're entire life to play, doesn't mean you're entitled to play. You have to be better than the next guy and if the next guy has more years of experience, you're younger, more agile, and your body probably hasn't taken as much of a beating . . . WORK to be better than him.

All very good points. It's much harder to stay at the top at say 24/25 than it is to get to the top at 18/19! After that many years, at that level, your body starts to hate you and revolt.

I feel like so many guys just get into it at 18/19 so they are just getting more elite skills by 23/24 so it may really change the dynamic b/c not a lot of guys come in as freshmen with the huge skills.

I feel like so many guys just get into it at 18/19 so they are just getting more elite skills by 23/24 so it may really change the dynamic b/c not a lot of guys come in as freshmen with the huge skills.

I think that back in the 80s and 90s that was definitely the case. You'd get guys coming in at 18 who were football/wrestler/gymnast in high school, but weren't able to continue at that level in college, so they join cheer to "meet girls and have a guaranteed ticket with the best seat at all the games". Now, with the boom to All Star, guys are coming in at 18 with the top skills that it used to take guys 3-4 years to learn.

I think that back in the 80s and 90s that was definitely the case. You'd get guys coming in at 18 who were football/wrestler/gymnast in high school, but weren't able to continue at that level in college, so they join cheer to "meet girls and have a guaranteed ticket with the best seat at all the games". Now, with the boom to All Star, guys are coming in at 18 with the top skills that it used to take guys 3-4 years to learn.

Co-Ed All-Star is not popular everywhere. So some places still may struggle a little more.

Co-Ed All-Star is not popular everywhere. So some places still may struggle a little more.

The guys involved in CoEd All Star are going to the top programs, which is really where the problem of having older guys on the team is. The lower level programs aren't the ones that people are complaining about.

The guys involved in CoEd All Star are going to the top programs, which is really where the problem of having older guys on the team is. The lower level programs aren't the ones that people are complaining about.

I am sorry but I still disagree, there will still be a little learning curve. PLUS boys really don't gain a lot of their strength even if they have the skills until they are closer to 20, so it is still something that will be an adjustment.

Back