All-Star Am I The Only One? (score Sheet Talk)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

the thing is we are new to alot of these events so yes after our first time going we then decide should we come back or not .. this weekend was our first time at WSF and now it will be our last ..

I've been Rules certified twice, including currently. Both times the cost was paid by an event producer with the understanding I would judge so many events for them that season. I don't know if I would have done the certification if I had to pay upfront on my own. I would still know the rules, but probably wouldn't be certified.

Applying that to the SOCJC, I don't think I would do it. I might, but I definitely have reservations.

I agree limiting the number of people in the judges pool is a good idea, but I want to make sure the pool is large enough for the demand and the good ones stay in the pool. I'm not sure how to make this happen.

I've been pondering #2 off and on for over a year. I still don't have an answer I love.

I completely understand your argument, but, its about changing the culture. Real Estate agents are not guaranteed a certain number of home sales prior to becoming certified. There is some risk. This risk would likely eliminate several people that judge occasionally because they have an "off weekend."

If the EP's could only select judges with SOCJC certifications, judges would get enough work to make it worthwhile.

Isn't having different scoresheets at different competitions like having touchdowns worth different amounts at different bowl games? In the Fiesta bowl it might be worth 6 points, but at the BCS title game they really want to encourage Field goals, so touchdowns are only worth 1 point.

Ok I have come up with my answer for #2.
Since I feel that the varsity score sheet is currently the best one, I'll use it for this discussion.

I am keeping the post short, because it could go on for days.

The judges should be thoroughly trained on
  1. The ins and outs of the scoring grid. (is hit,hit,hit, pull worth less than hit x 12 pull)
  2. The level rules, and any loopholes that coaches will try and exploit.
  3. Technique on stunting, tumbling etc. Some of the judges are/former coaches. However, there are plenty that are not. Having coaches come in and teach a "stunt class" may shed some light on the difficulty of some stunting elements.
  4. Extensive video review of routines, to "play-out" various scoring situations.
I numbered your points for easier reference.
1. I agree and it already happens. What can get it to the appropriate level.
2. I agree and this is partially happening. Most panels I'm on have multiple certified rules judges. Maybe increasing the percentage of judges on a panel that are rules certified should be the next step.
3. Good idea, but will be tough to implement. Which coaches do you have run the classes. I've been around great coaches that do/teach things significantly different but get great results. Are we ready to declare one way right?
4. This is done some, but could be more. Who decides what is THE right score?

its just so funny .. if it were a cheersport or uca/nca comp. im pretty confident that all our teams would have placed differently .. next season we are picking comps. that are more geared to our routines and where judging is the way we prefer!

That is what every gym should do.

the thing is we are new to alot of these events so yes after our first time going we then decide should we come back or not .. this weekend was our first time at WSF and now it will be our last ..

I ask that you let them know why you won't be returning. The problem(s) can't be fixed if they don't know what they are.

I completely understand your argument, but, its about changing the culture. Real Estate agents are not guaranteed a certain number of home sales prior to becoming certified. There is some risk. This risk would likely eliminate several people that judge occasionally because they have an "off weekend."

If the EP's could only select judges with SOCJC certifications, judges would get enough work to make it worthwhile.

I understand there is some risk involved, but I'm not sure the reward is worth it. If the risk-reward ratio was better more people would be willing to take the risk.

Isn't having different scoresheets at different competitions like having touchdowns worth different amounts at different bowl games? In the Fiesta bowl it might be worth 6 points, but at the BCS title game they really want to encourage Field goals, so touchdowns are only worth 1 point.

Yes. It is exactly like that.

I look at it more like the difference between the BCS football conference. It takes a different type of team to win the Big 10 than the Big 12 or Pac 10, but in the end the SEC is still going to win the title.

I understand there is some risk involved, but I'm not sure the reward is worth it. If the risk-reward ratio was better more people would be willing to take the risk.

I think having less judges in the pool will help. Thus, the high barrier of entry.

Back