All-Star An Article About Varsity Brands...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

@quitthedrama what are some changes you would like to see to change the perception that the USASF is run by Varsity?

My take on it now is this: the USASF conferences that occurred this summer (and in the past few summers) are starting to show what the USASF is actually working for and capable of. I was recently in attendance of the SW regional this past weekend so I speak from experience. All of the vendors sponsored the classes and Varsity was one of them. I used to be in the same camp you are with "Varsity runs the USASF" so I paid close attention to "Varsity disguised as USASF" details. Then I realized the people in charge that we are listening to and that are running things for all-star education and governance/the USASF, are the very people I respect and listen to....Amy Clark, Debbie Love, Glenda Broderick to name a small few.

I have never seen a Jeff Webb or a Jim Lord at any Varsity all star event or USASF conference I have been to. And I'm watching and listening for their influence. I'm not trying to be converted. I'm definitely looking to find things that point to a conflict of interest or collusion.

If you asked anyone in attendance though what they thought we were all there for just at a glance I guarantee you they'd say "an Nfinity backpack conference?" [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a better way to see how opinions are changing through changes that have occurred or are occurring:

1: All Star Prep. The USASF has created a version of all star that will allow gyms to have those "ungovernable rec" teams that are so popular bc of lower costs. ASP is a HOMERUN. Look for this version of all star to grow significantly this year and next (and with it, so will problems because there are no perfect programs).
2. Cheer Dance. A brilliant idea on the table for gyms to be able to offer all star teams that only do longer versions of the dance that comes at the end of all star routines. It's not even a thing yet but watch for it. I think it will be another home run.
3. The proposed changes to the age/divisions/levels are GENIUS. (I won't post them bc Amy asked that we don't spread the word and people take it as gospel and then the telephone process starts and it gets all twisted and out of context) but it's smart research and smart changes that won't simply be band-aids all over the current system.

There's more. A lot more. But the steps in the direction we all want: longevity of the sport of all star, fair play, transparency in scoring, are all being addressed. And just like building a championship program takes time and baby steps this will too. And I can appreciate that. I see the changes I want to happen forthcoming and I am overjoyed.

If rebates upset people to the point of boycotting, then they will need to boycott everyone. Vendors offer up money to do business with retailers the exact same way, sometimes it's cash, advertising, stem miles, or markdown money. And "no", they don't sit there and tell the consumer how that money is used to offset the cost of business, but it is. (Fun fact, the cost of giving an actual rebate is much higher and more work to the consumer than just taking the actual amount offered by the vendor off the merchandise but, the consumer thinks they're getting a better deal with a rebate). So, the argument then becomes, "we can get a better deal by ourselves" but, the truth is that only works if no other business is going on in the area at the same time and that's a huge risk with 18,000+ families coming from all over the country.

In other news, I find it interesting that people are willing to pay hundreds for tickets to go to a concert one night but, the thought of paying $35-60 cash admission for 2 days at those same buildings and getting to watch thousands of kids do something they love is considered a rip off. There are other options in uniforms, shoes, props, and competitions, Varsity is just the Big Box of cheerleading and that ticks people off.

That's not how I meant it, I meant that no one will give up Varsity because they're not willing to give up their rebate.

@quitthedrama what are some changes you would like to see to change the perception that the USASF is run by Varsity?

My take on it now is this: the USASF conferences that occurred this summer (and in the past few summers) are starting to show what the USASF is actually working for and capable of. I was recently in attendance of the SW regional this past weekend so I speak from experience. All of the vendors sponsored the classes and Varsity was one of them. I used to be in the same camp you are with "Varsity runs the USASF" so I paid close attention to "Varsity disguised as USASF" details. Then I realized the people in charge that we are listening to and that are running things for all-star education and governance/the USASF, are the very people I respect and listen to....Amy Clark, Debbie Love, Glenda Broderick to name a small few.
I
I have never seen a Jeff Webb or a Jim Lord at any Varsity all star event or USASF conference I have been to. And I'm watching and listening for their influence. I'm not trying to be converted. I'm definitely looking to find things that point to a conflict of interest or collusion.

If you asked anyone in attendance though what they thought we were all there for just at a glance I guarantee you they'd say "an Nfinity backpack conference?"
emoji23.png

I'm glad you are starting to see some changes, and I value and trust your input.
First and foremost - completely separate offices for USASF and Varsity along with a BOD that allows for nominations and is voted on by members (I can live with members being only gym owners) as well as term limits, as well as changing the organizational and corporate structure. If I am not mistaken, USASF is still heavily controlled by Varsity employees. Some of these things were talked about as in process, but I don't believe they have actually taken place - the Charter still lists the principal address as Lenox Place in Memphis.
Other voting rights for members (i.e. rule changes)
Published minutes of BOD meetings and conferences
Not allowing member gyms to be owned by Varsity or any other EP (this may work itself out if Varsity no longer had a controlling interest in USASF)
In general - better reporting processes - I feel like I am well informed, but I don't know much about what the USASF is doing at all. Perhaps that isn't solely a Varsity issue, but I feel like even after the press releases announcing changes over a year ago, nothing seems to have really changed and Varsity has as much control over USASF as before.
I like Varsity. I like USASF. It's kind of like my husband and best friend. I like them both - but I don't want them living together.

I'm glad you are starting to see some changes, and I value and trust your input.
First and foremost - completely separate offices for USASF and Varsity along with a BOD that allows for nominations and is voted on by members (I can live with members being only gym owners) as well as term limits, as well as changing the organizational and corporate structure. If I am not mistaken, USASF is still heavily controlled by Varsity employees. Some of these things were talked about as in process, but I don't believe they have actually taken place - the Charter still lists the principal address as Lenox Place in Memphis.
Other voting rights for members (i.e. rule changes)
Published minutes of BOD meetings and conferences
Not allowing member gyms to be owned by Varsity or any other EP (this may work itself out if Varsity no longer had a controlling interest in USASF)
In general - better reporting processes - I feel like I am well informed, but I don't know much about what the USASF is doing at all. Perhaps that isn't solely a Varsity issue, but I feel like even after the press releases announcing changes over a year ago, nothing seems to have really changed and Varsity has as much control over USASF as before.

That last one is everything. Even TPTB in the USASF are aggravated with their technology and communications systems. They've all worked so hard on fixing the biggest priority things in all star that those things have fallen to the bottom of the list. It would help tremendously with the education of all our people-Top to Bottom- if they could get a handle on that.

If you could see what I see now, you'd be a lot happier too, I know this in my heart. I'm not a fan of band aids. I am excited for the changes that are coming.

ETA: thank you for saying you trust my opinion. I know that is all we can do at this point when it comes to these issues: put our trust in the ones who are working to make the changes. I'm trying to take a more active role in bringing about the changes I want to see. It's made a big difference for me already.

Last edited:
This was done Cheersport weekend.
Glad to hear it. I researched the USASF page and the only thing I could find for an address was the charter, which still showed the address shared with Varsity. What is the new address?

So, the real question is, who has ties to the Houston Press that has an agenda? That article was no coincidence, no one in the public cares about the USASF or Varsity. :enjoyshow:

@uhhlyssa01 I quoted your comment to build off of yours, I wasn't disputing it.

So, the real question is, who has ties to the Houston Press that has an agenda? That article was no coincidence, no one in the public cares about the USASF or Varsity. :enjoyshow:

I didn't read the whole thread, so someone may have said this, but I wonder if this is how the article veered off course. What if the author did plan to cover WE and amidst research stumbled upon Varsity/USASF ? I could see how an outsider might look at this in think this is news worthy. What we know to be an issue in cheer, may be even more interesting to an uninformed reader. Especially in Texas where cheer is huge, I could see a writer wanting to publicize this to inform cheer parents and the like.

I didn't read the whole thread, so someone may have said this, but I wonder if this is how the article veered off course. What if the author did plan to cover WE and amidst research stumbled upon Varsity/USASF ? I could see how an outsider might look at this in think this is news worthy. What we know to be an issue in cheer, may be even more interesting to an uninformed reader. Especially in Texas where cheer is huge, I could see a writer wanting to publicize this to inform cheer parents and the like.

Stumbled? I'm not a believer in coincidence, especially when it comes to media. This article did a complete 180 real quickly and this journalist was spoon fed his information from someone. Cheer is huge in TX, which is exactly why I think this is agenda driven. The Houston Press according to Wiki (I know, not a great source) is an alternative weekly paper, is free and funded through advertising. In other words, you pay me and I'll write anything you want me to.

Stumbled? I'm not a believer in coincidence, especially when it comes to media. This article did a complete 180 real quickly and this journalist was spoon fed his information from someone. Cheer is huge in TX, which is exactly why I think this is agenda driven. The Houston Press according to Wiki (I know, not a great source) is an alternative weekly paper, is free and funded through advertising. In other words, you pay me and I'll write anything you want me to.

I guess the journalist in me, was thinking that the article did a complete turn in the research stage. It's easy to write a story about a cheer team winning a World championship, but a story about a sport that has a no strong governing body, which leads to injury and crazy financial gain for one company? That's gold. In a addition, a quick Facebook stalk shows that the writer is a recent graduate from Columbia's journalism school, and is from New York, so I don't know what agenda could be driving this.

I guess the journalist in me, was thinking that the article did a complete turn in the research stage. It's easy to write a story about a cheer team winning a World championship, but a story about a sport that has a no strong governing body, which leads to injury and crazy financial gain for one company? That's gold. In a addition, a quick Facebook stalk shows that the writer is a recent graduate from Columbia's journalism school, and is from New York, so I don't know what agenda could be driving this.

The agenda isn't from the journalist, it is from the corporation or person paying for the advertising. If you are a journalist then you know most of our media is owned by large corporations that have their own agenda which is why our news sources are skewed to extremes based on their corporate interests. This journalist probably has no idea what deals were made behind the scenes for advertising dollars, his boss probably just came in and said do an article on WE and add this twist about Varsity to it, here's some information.

The agenda isn't from the journalist, it is from the corporation or person paying for the advertising. If you are a journalist then you know most of our media is owned by large corporations that have their own agenda which is why our news sources are skewed to extremes based on their corporate interests. This journalist probably has no idea what deals were made behind the scenes for advertising dollars, his boss probably just came in and said do an article on WE and add this twist about Varsity to it, here's some information.

I do know that media is owned my corporations, maybe I'm just naive, and don't think that this is something bigger.

Here's a better way to see how opinions are changing through changes that have occurred or are occurring:

1: All Star Prep. The USASF has created a version of all star that will allow gyms to have those "ungovernable rec" teams that are so popular bc of lower costs. ASP is a HOMERUN. Look for this version of all star to grow significantly this year and next (and with it, so will problems because there are no perfect programs).
2. Cheer Dance. A brilliant idea on the table for gyms to be able to offer all star teams that only do longer versions of the dance that comes at the end of all star routines. It's not even a thing yet but watch for it. I think it will be another home run.
3. The proposed changes to the age/divisions/levels are GENIUS. (I won't post them bc Amy asked that we don't spread the word and people take it as gospel and then the telephone process starts and it gets all twisted and out of context) but it's smart research and smart changes that won't simply be band-aids all over the current system.

There's more. A lot more. But the steps in the direction we all want: longevity of the sport of all star, fair play, transparency in scoring, are all being addressed. And just like building a championship program takes time and baby steps this will too. And I can appreciate that. I see the changes I want to happen forthcoming and I am overjoyed.

There is a company on the uk that does just cheer dance and the way it is run makes better scoring. There are set dances each team has to learn so scoring is a lot easier and it is run like a ballroom dance comp where there are multiple rounds with teams being knocked out at each round during the day. I didnt know it exsisted until my dance teacher told me and said it is a quite a big circuit

Back