All-Star An Article About Varsity Brands...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Bingo. So many states have had their cheer seasons jacked up because of the sport ruling. But how do we force people to give cheerleaders the same basic necessities guaranteed to other athletes?

Cheer is a sport in Virginia and looks very different from neighboring Maryland where it isn't. In VA the same governing body for basketball, football ect. run our season. We have a date where we can start our season, we can only compete at state officiated competitions.We can't do any nationals. It's only competitive during football, so in some counties they cut cheer in the winter, which was the case in the neighboring county so we would only see cheerleaders during basketball season when we played schools in our county.

Maryland cheer season is almost year round. They do county competitions, and many do local competitions. I'm not sure if any go to UCA or NCA nationals. It's competitive, and can be a better alternative to all star.

Cheer is a sport in Virginia and looks very different from neighboring Maryland where it isn't. In VA the same governing body for basketball, football ect. run our season. We have a date where we can start our season, we can only compete at state officiated competitions.We can't do any nationals. It's only competitive during football, so in some counties they cut cheer in the winter, which was the case in the neighboring county so we would only see cheerleaders during basketball season when we played schools in our county.

Maryland cheer season is almost year round. They do county competitions, and many do local competitions. I'm not sure if any go to UCA or NCA nationals. It's competitive, and can be a better alternative to all star.
Maryland can NOT compete out of state. I know Baltimore County has rules in place that don't let the teams have tryouts or have an official practice until mid August, which makes me think it's considered a sport. I'm not from Maryland so I haven't taken part in high school cheerleading first hand, but I have worked with a few teams who explained it to me.

I may have missed something, but I can't seem to find a parent section?

Like she said above, pm SharkDad. Make sure to include your CP's gym and team for verification. It may take a while though, he's been pretty busy and I'm still waiting for access.

Maryland can NOT compete out of state. I know Baltimore County has rules in place that don't let the teams have tryouts or have an official practice until mid August, which makes me think it's considered a sport. I'm not from Maryland so I haven't taken part in high school cheerleading first hand, but I have worked with a few teams who explained it to me.

You're right! I totally got confused with a DC team that went to UCA. I'm from Maryland but never cheered there as an high school athlete. I just always remembered being told that they could go to multiple competitions because they were not a sport. They could just not have the restriction.

It has felt for years that the majority of medium and smaller gyms were simply waiting for the large gyms to say walk away and they would gladly follow. That hasn't happened.

In talking with some coaches today the consensus was with many of the small gyms is that they are tired of hearing talk of a revolution year after year and nothing happens. So many of them are throwing in the towel, not because they agree or support Varsity but because they see no other option and they are tired of the talk but no action.

Another point was made that if as a small gym owner you are reluctant to turn away from a 4000.00 rebate check what makes you think the mega gyms that are getting really really big rebate checks are willing to walk away from that just to prove a point

If we had done something years ago, we would not be at this point. We didn't listen. We were so worried about drinking the teal kool aid that no one paid close attention to what was flowing in gallons out of Memphis. People sounded the alarm and it was summarily ignored. We been had. We were hoodwinked. Bamboozled. Led astray. Run amok.

Varsity is a monopoly. Anyone and anything that rises against them, they crush it or buy it. With athlete registrations they can now market their services directly to the athlete and parent and as a coach you have no control over it. They can place a gym (or be the silent partner in a gym) in your town and pull an instant mailing list from every gym in your area with a few clicks of a mouse. Put in a couple of high profile celebrities that they also help build up and a couple of name coaches and what do you think is their intention for your gym? All because you gave them the info. They didn't steal it. I am glad I just teach tumbling and am branching out away from USASF so I can speak clearly on some of these issues without having their sword over my head.

You gave them the power that they have. And now you are too scared to do anything about it.

RE: rebate checks. Why are gyms so dependent on them? Compete with other companies (IEPs) and save the money up front instead of paying more up front and getting the difference back later. Are they so bad at managing money that they need to let Varsity hold on to it for them during the season and send it back later?

It infuriates me that Summit gets to piggy back off Worlds. The fact that it's at the same venue, a weekend later, makes everyone fixate on it because they're seeing it as the lower level Worlds. The competition is stiff, and it gives lower levels their moment. That's terrific! If it was a USASF event like Worlds is and you could compete with any member brand/company that is at a bid tier to get bids to it, I'd feel differently about Summit.

It's becoming a standard in our area to chase Summit bids, and everyone needs to keep up with the joneses. People are ditching their old events to switch to Varisty because it's the only way to get to the Summit. I coach, and the staff at my gym has never been crazy about Varsity events and we almost never did them... But now we have to do more to bid chase, or risk losing our kids to a gym that will chase those bids. We didn't used to really acknowledge the Summit in our gym, but the kids go to school with kids at other gyms who bid chase and go to Summit, they poke around on YouTube. They know, and now that's what they want, and now that's what the parents think they want. Varisty has tied our hands for us and now I truly see the monopoly.

RE: rebate checks. Why are gyms so dependent on them? Compete with other companies (IEPs) and save the money up front instead of paying more up front and getting the difference back later. Are they so bad at managing money that they need to let Varsity hold on to it for them during the season and send it back later?
For a lot of gyms (can't say all) it isn't mis-managing money, it is more of a thank you check. Parents are the ones that pay the entry fees, not the gyms. The rebate check is basically the gym getting a cut of those entry fees months later. The more loyal you are to the brand, the more events you go to, the higher your rebate check is. Reach certain tiers of money spent and the percentage increases. Gyms could choose to go to IEP's and save the parents money, but there is no perk or additional funds coming in for them later. Some gyms credit the athletes accounts back but, in my experience, a lot use it as staff bonuses, staff retreats, athlete scholarships, or put it back into the gym for equipment etc.

I haven't competed with Jam events in a long time so I could be out of touch, but Varsity isn't the only brand that does rebates.

So I have $100.00 I am to "give" you $200.o0 (not including additional monies raked in by your vendors) because you promise me to give me back $25.00 at the end of the season?

Nope. I pass.

So I have $100.00 I am to "give" you $200.o0 (not including additional monies raked in by your vendors) because you promise me to give me back $25.00 at the end of the season?

Nope. I pass.
So the rebate checks are only a fraction of what you contribute?

Back