All-Star Angel Rice Moving To Cali Smoed For 2014-2015 Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I know I said it before, but I have always loved to watch your cp tumble. The precision and grace she has is amazing. When I visited ca last year and did a class, she was there practicing and watching her that close, in person I was just blown away. She was super sweet, too, the few sentences we spoke lol. I missed seeing her in blue and black this year, but she looked good in purple. ;)

I wondered how long it would be until she had to make a decision about continuing with tumbling vs. cheer. I wish her the best of luck and can't wait to see where she ends up!
The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Thank you! Judges have stated she is a graceful tumbler Lol! She is shy and quiet at first until you get to know her. Spirit of Texas was amazing to allow her to compete in IOC and one of the coaches stated she has done everything in cheer there is to do so why not go for it. She is now a Jr Elite on trampoline and has shifted her focus on that event but will continue to tumble. School and training from here on out.

I know you said you weren't sure but I know for a fact at least 4 kids that came from American cheer. So not all of them are Cali home grown kids. I don't know if there are more from other programs.
You speak of "CALI Home Grown", California All Stars Ventura location has only existed for seven years. And they had less than 50 athletes their first year. Given that, it would be difficult for SMOED to be populated with home grown athletes exclusively.

You speak of "CALI Home Grown", California All Stars Ventura location has only existed for seven years. And they had less than 50 athletes their first year. Given that, it would be difficult for SMOED to be populated with home grown athletes exclusively.

@emilyoc88

Exactly, with the exception of maybe 4-5 gyms across the whole country it would be difficult to be completely home grown if you're 16+ age. Most gyms haven't even existed for that long.

I only stated "Cali Home Grown" because the person in the original post I responded to said it. They said they weren't sure if all the kids on SMOED were "Cali home grown" so I was just pointing out about 4 or 5 that I knew weren't.

Also maybe you new people don't know this BUT-

Any thread with more than 10 pages is a worthwhile read whether you give two poops about the topic or not. Hence why I every so often end up in the 'Cheerleaders Season 2' thread (I don't watch the show as it's not my cup of tea). There's bound to be something interesting/a potential future reference (a la NOBODY EATS MY CASSEROLE) in there eventually. Necessary catching up.
Is it bad I don't believe I've ever been in a single thread about that show and/or that I've def never seen an episode? :oops:

I can't say I don't agree with you but I also believe the opposite of this is why teams like Lime and Lady Pros have done well. Yes it would be great to bring kids with spectacular skills and put them all on the floor together but when u have 16 kids that have been together for 5 years thats a different type of animal that these gyms will not be able to experience. I believe as long as smaller gyms find ways to retain athletes and continue to train and groom them we will continue to have pop up winners in divisions. How they will accomplish this I don't know, especially in larger cities with accessible mega gyms
I think people are failing to recognize that CALI in Ventura has been in existence for seven years. When they started they had under 50 kids. That makes it difficult to have a large group of athletes that have been together very long. Especially since CALI in Ventura currently has nine teams. Personally, we have been at CALI for four years (this will be our fifth). Many others have been there at least that long. But since everybody progresses differently they are not all on the same team. I'm no coach but, I'll be honest. It doesn't seem efficient to keep a large group of athletes together. That wouldn't seem to utilize everyone's skills to the utmost. Some athletes would be held back due to other athletes slower progression or lack of skills etc. It's great however that it's worked out well for your gym.

I get the impression that people believe in house athletes don't progress to SMOED. That is false. They do. Out of state athletes do not threaten in house athletes opportunities. I have never heard a single complaint about anything of that sort from an in house athlete.

I'm not sure why the big deal is made regarding out of state athletes. I've had out of state parents tell me they would move their family to CALI tomorrow if they knew their kid would have a spot on the team. They were talking about a spot on J2. Nobody complains about that athlete moving to attend CALI. What difference is it whether an athlete walks in to tryouts or sends in a video ? Kids and families move from out of state and join gyms all the time. At CALI everyone is welcome to tryouts and everyone makes a team no matter what skills they do or don't have. Tryouts are separated by age groups, and then by skills, not by team. If an athlete attends tryouts and they have skills appropriate for SMOED why shouldn't they be considered ? Everyone has the same opportunity. CALI is not going out cherry picking athletes from around the world creating some over the top untouchable team as some make it seem. But, I'm sure they aren't slamming the door in anyone's face either.

I think people are failing to recognize that CALI in Ventura has been in existence for seven years. When they started they had under 50 kids. That makes it difficult to have a large group of athletes that have been together very long. Especially since CALI in Ventura currently has nine teams. Personally, we have been at CALI for four years (this will be our fifth). Many others have been there at least that long. But since everybody progresses differently they are not all on the same team. I'm no coach but, I'll be honest. It doesn't seem efficient to keep a large group of athletes together. That wouldn't seem to utilize everyone's skills to the utmost. Some athletes would be held back due to other athletes slower progression or lack of skills etc. It's great however that it's worked out well for your gym.

I get the impression that people believe in house athletes don't progress to SMOED. That is false. They do. Out of state athletes do not threaten in house athletes opportunities. I have never heard a single complaint about anything of that sort from an in house athlete.

I'm not sure why the big deal is made regarding out of state athletes. I've had out of state parents tell me they would move their family to CALI tomorrow if they knew their kid would have a spot on the team. They were talking about a spot on J2. Nobody complains about that athlete moving to attend CALI. What difference is it whether an athlete walks in to tryouts or sends in a video ? Kids and families move from out of state and join gyms all the time. At CALI everyone is welcome to tryouts and everyone makes a team no matter what skills they do or don't have. Tryouts are separated by age groups, and then by skills, not by team. If an athlete attends tryouts and they have skills appropriate for SMOED why shouldn't they be considered ? Everyone has the same opportunity. CALI is not going out cherry picking athletes from around the world creating some over the top untouchable team as some make it seem. But, I'm sure they aren't slamming the door in anyone's face either.

Not sure if this was directed towards me solely but would like to clarify by stating I never said I had any issue with what Cali does, who they let on the team or don't. Quite frankly if people are willing to move their child to be on the team then that's their business and their decision. My statement was in response to someone stating that small gyms would no longer stand a chance if all larger gyms starting adopting this system, my point was that even though they would have an amazing amount of skill on the team they wouldn't have the advantage of having kids stunt together who have been together for years and just understand how to make a routine work. Therefore if smaller gyms could continue to retain their homegrown kids they could still stand a chance. I will say that while I definitely don't fault Cali I do understand what it's like to be on the other side of the equation. When you see level 5 athletes spread across different gyms and teams that all started on mini, youth, junior together you can't help but wonder what a force they would have been had they not be enticed by the bigger "we already have an established level 5" gyms

Is it bad I don't believe I've ever been in a single thread about that show and/or that I've def never seen an episode? :oops:
Nah. I only popped in once or twice because somebody mentioned bullying in an episode this season so I wanted to see what it was all about. Otherwise the show doesn't interest me.

I can't say I don't agree with you but I also believe the opposite of this is why teams like Lime and Lady Pros have done well. Yes it would be great to bring kids with spectacular skills and put them all on the floor together but when u have 16 kids that have been together for 5 years thats a different type of animal that these gyms will not be able to experience. I believe as long as smaller gyms find ways to retain athletes and continue to train and groom them we will continue to have pop up winners in divisions. How they will accomplish this I don't know, especially in larger cities with accessible mega gyms

Not very relevant but I absolutely LOVE Lime and the fact that everything about that team is a family.

Their music this year had ONE mention of globes/rings and TEN mentions/songs about team, sisters and love (and the muic was adorable)

Not very relevant but I absolutely LOVE Lime and the fact that everything about that team is a family.

Their music this year had ONE mention of globes/rings and TEN mentions/songs about team, sisters and love (and the muic was adorable)

I love Lime as well they seem to be really godd for being from a still pretty small gym like they are not from the hugest gym but are still pretty good and i adore their music and their mindset. like your team is supposed to be you family for atleast the year. and that is mostly in smaller teams like in the LArge senior maybe it is harder to be that close with all other girls but in small senior i think you are close

Nah. I only popped in once or twice because somebody mentioned bullying in an episode this season so I wanted to see what it was all about. Otherwise the show doesn't interest me.
I watched them faithfully every Sunday in season 1. Haven't watched any in season 2. Not sure why just ADD I guess and lost interest.

Not sure if this was directed towards me solely but would like to clarify by stating I never said I had any issue with what Cali does, who they let on the team or don't. Quite frankly if people are willing to move their child to be on the team then that's their business and their decision. My statement was in response to someone stating that small gyms would no longer stand a chance if all larger gyms starting adopting this system, my point was that even though they would have an amazing amount of skill on the team they wouldn't have the advantage of having kids stunt together who have been together for years and just understand how to make a routine work. Therefore if smaller gyms could continue to retain their homegrown kids they could still stand a chance. I will say that while I definitely don't fault Cali I do understand what it's like to be on the other side of the equation. When you see level 5 athletes spread across different gyms and teams that all started on mini, youth, junior together you can't help but wonder what a force they would have been had they not be enticed by the bigger "we already have an established level 5" gyms
My comments were not directed at anybody in particular. I've read a lot comments on the board where incorrect assumptions were made regarding CALI and SMOED, and Tryouts

My comments were not directed at anybody in particular. I've read a lot comments on the board where incorrect assumptions were made regarding CALI and SMOED, and Tryouts

That's what happens when posting from your phone and inadvertently hit reply.

My response was part clarification and part opinion regarding the whole out of state athlete situation and not directed towards any one individual in particular.

Back