OT Any Marathon Runners?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Mar 25, 2010
I've been telling myself since my blood clots that I would run at least one half and one full marathon, and I've finally decided to just go for it. I'm going to start training for my first half soon, but first things first, I need to pick a half. Any suggestions on what to look for/what makes it a good race to participate in? Because I am 100% clueless lol

peace, love, and happy cheering (and running)

showstopper

I've done one half, I'm doing another this weekend. In January I'm being ridiculous and doing Disneys Goofy Challenge which is a half marathon on Saturday and a full the next day. Yea, I'm crazy. I still think I'm a beginner, but if you have any questions I can try and answer them. I did the Nike Women's Half in DC as my first and I loved it!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

actually in the same boat as you, @ShoWStoppeR ! looking at doing my first half and i need to just sign up so that i will stick with the training.

not sure how you feel about international destinations, but lululemon has a half marathon in Vancouver called SeaWheeze. but it's not just a half marathon. there's lots and lots of yoga and a concert in the evening. and vancouver is gorgeous. and you get lululemon gear with your entry fees. registration opens next week, i think, but unfortunately it will fall during my final exams so i can't go next year :( sad but i know a couple people who did it and 100% recommend everyone do it.

ETA SeaWheeze Half Marathon

actually in the same boat as you, @ShoWStoppeR ! looking at doing my first half and i need to just sign up so that i will stick with the training.

not sure how you feel about international destinations, but lululemon has a half marathon in Vancouver called SeaWheeze. but it's not just a half marathon. there's lots and lots of yoga and a concert in the evening. and vancouver is gorgeous. and you get lululemon gear with your entry fees. registration opens next week, i think, but unfortunately it will fall during my final exams so i can't go next year :( sad but i know a couple people who did it and 100% recommend everyone do it.

ETA SeaWheeze Half Marathon

I will definitely save this one for future reference! I'm assuming they do it every year? Looks like I missed the boat for this year, but it looks awesome! Depending on how this first one goes, I'm thinking of making it a goal to run a half or a full in each of the 50 states. I think that would be a pretty cool thing to say I did :)

I've done one half, loved it, signed up for a full a year later, then destroyed my knee, and have an MRI on Friday to hopefully figure out what's wrong with it. My ultimate goal is to do Boston. I've grown up here, watching it for 26 years, and my dads run it 37 times, so I feel like I kind of HAVE to do it at least once.

For my first half, I focused on finding a course that wasn't super hilly and I was not focused on time. I trained well, and focused on finishing. I knew around how long it should take me, but I wasn't going to push it my first go around. I think next time I'll focus on increasing my time now that I have a base.

Good luck with wherever you choose! Keep us updated! I'm one of those "weirdos" who loves running and hate that I can't right now, so I'm jealous of you! I also love your idea about the 50 states. May have to add to my bucket list...

I ran NYC in 2005. Incredible experience but I do not think I would do another one. Running killed my knees and feet. They say some people just catch the marathon bug after their first one but that was definitely not me.

I ran NYC in 2005. Incredible experience but I do not think I would do another one. Running killed my knees and feet. They say some people just catch the marathon bug after their first one but that was definitely not me.
I have a feeling that will be me too. I've only got up to 15 miles and I'm already saying that I will never do this again. I definitely love the half distance though. It's still a big challenge for me, but it's not killing my body (yet, at least).

I have a feeling that will be me too. I've only got up to 15 miles and I'm already saying that I will never do this again. I definitely love the half distance though. It's still a big challenge for me, but it's not killing my body (yet, at least).
I think the most I ever ran in training was 20 miles. The last 5 miles of the actual marathon killed me. But I did it, and even if I never run another one, I will always have bragging rights. Good luck with your training!

I think the most I ever ran in training was 20 miles. The last 5 miles of the actual marathon killed me. But I did it, and even if I never run another one, I will always have bragging rights. Good luck with your training!

I just literally googled half marathon training schedule lol any suggestions though? Also, does anyone know what the rules are for ipods with marathons? is that a race by race rule? because if I can't have music, I am screwed lol I absolutely HATE hearing the sound of my feet and me panting. I think the reason I enjoy running so much is because I can just listen to some good jams and zone out. Totally takes the enjoyment out of it when you take away my jams... buzz kill.

Also, I think I've found my marathon. I literally googled best half marathons by state (what would we do without the internet these days? lol) and I found one in Birmingham, which is about 2.5 hours from me. Its the Mercedes-Benz marathon. They so nicely posted a training schedule for it too, and I couldn't help but notice, if somehow by the grace of God I am able to do electric, the marathon is the weekend after cheersport. The schedule has me running 10 miles the Saturday of cheersport. just kill me now lol

I just literally googled half marathon training schedule lol any suggestions though? Also, does anyone know what the rules are for ipods with marathons? is that a race by race rule? because if I can't have music, I am screwed lol I absolutely HATE hearing the sound of my feet and me panting. I think the reason I enjoy running so much is because I can just listen to some good jams and zone out. Totally takes the enjoyment out of it when you take away my jams... buzz kill.

Also, I think I've found my marathon. I literally googled best half marathons by state (what would we do without the internet these days? lol) and I found one in Birmingham, which is about 2.5 hours from me. Its the Mercedes-Benz marathon. They so nicely posted a training schedule for it too, and I couldn't help but notice, if somehow by the grace of God I am able to do electric, the marathon is the weekend after cheersport. The schedule has me running 10 miles the Saturday of cheersport. just kill me now lol
Most races that I have seen don't recommend you using headphones, but they are allowed typically. I wouldn't be able to do it without music either. I also just googled training plans to start and I've kind of played around with that now that I know what I can do. I usually start the training plan a week or two before it says to, to allow myself some wiggle room in case something comes up halfway through and I don't have to completely miss a long run, just move it. Also, is the one you found a half or a full? If it's a half I wouldn't recommend running 10 miles the weekend before, especially your first race. I usually use the weekend before to maybe do a short slow run and recover for the race. But if it's a full, 10 miles would be ok since that would be a shorter run for that distance. A lot of it is kind of personal preference and comes with experience though.

Most races that I have seen don't recommend you using headphones, but they are allowed typically. I wouldn't be able to do it without music either. I also just googled training plans to start and I've kind of played around with that now that I know what I can do. I usually start the training plan a week or two before it says to, to allow myself some wiggle room in case something comes up halfway through and I don't have to completely miss a long run, just move it. Also, is the one you found a half or a full? If it's a half I wouldn't recommend running 10 miles the weekend before, especially your first race. I usually use the weekend before to maybe do a short slow run and recover for the race. But if it's a full, 10 miles would be ok since that would be a shorter run for that distance. A lot of it is kind of personal preference and comes with experience though.

I'm going to start with a half.. I contemplated going all out guns blazing and just go for the full, but a voice in the back of my head started screaming you know that's a terrible idea lol I was kind of surprised by that for training for a half... one of my good friends does races all the time too and she sent me her normal schedule. granted, she's a robot, but I think I will start with that and adjust as need be to my level. She recommended starting the training 3 months out, do you think that's plenty of time?

I'm going to start with a half.. I contemplated going all out guns blazing and just go for the full, but a voice in the back of my head started screaming you know that's a terrible idea lol I was kind of surprised by that for training for a half... one of my good friends does races all the time too and she sent me her normal schedule. granted, she's a robot, but I think I will start with that and adjust as need be to my level. She recommended starting the training 3 months out, do you think that's plenty of time?
That should be good, depending on your current fitness level. I did 4 months, but I couldn't even run a mile when I started so I allowed myself more time. I probably could have done it in 3 months though.

That should be good, depending on your current fitness level. I did 4 months, but I couldn't even run a mile when I started so I allowed myself more time. I probably could have done it in 3 months though.

I'm up to 4 miles at best right now, about an 8:30-9 minute pace... I would definitely like to cut that down, but I will take any improvements I can get. Everyone says just aim for finishing your first half, so if my time is crappy, I won't be that upset lol

Back