All-Star As The Season Closes Out - Are You Switching Gyms Or Staying?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

As the season comes to a close, the dreadful decision comes about for parents - do we stay or do we go? What would be the determining factor for you switching gyms in the new season?

1. Tuition Cost
2. Lack of Progression
3. Staff Unprofessionalism
4. CP wants to cheer on Worlds Team
5. Professionally Trained Coaches
6. Location
7. Other

Hi! New here, but this is the topic I've been stalking the boards waiting for the past few days. If you had asked me this question a month ago, I'd have said staying without hesitation. We have been at our gym since it opened, cp has never cheered anywhere else, but #3 has appeared recently and left me somewhat disenchanted. It seems we have coaches speaking negatively about kids at the gym to outsiders (not my kid, but tacky all the same). There is also talk of building a "stacked" lower level team (which may or may not involve my kid). We've had a very successful year, and it seems like it just might have inflated some egos. Anyway, I'm just not able to look on these coaches with the same respect I once had.

So, cp and I are both a little torn. Hate to leave behind those that have become like family over the past 5 years, but just don't feel all warm and fuzzy about my gym anymore. I also kind of feel like this might be a great opportunity to see what cp can accomplish under a different system. Cheer Athletics and SOT are both within an hour to an hour and a half drive...with SOT slightly closer with a less stressful drive. CP is 13, has her standing tuck and is working on perfecting her layout.

Thoughts on who might be the best fit?

Changing gyms! Well, as of right now, I guess you could say....i'm kinda... gym-less :( my old gym no longer has enough kids for a level 5 team since last year. So i'm searching for a new one for next season. 99% sure that I will be living in Orlando by August sooo... we'll see ;)

I couldn't ever leave CCA because of the people. I mean where else in VA is there a gym where everybody really does know everybody? It would be like disowning my family. Also, they employ me so thats a huge plus.

Hi! New here, but this is the topic I've been stalking the boards waiting for the past few days. If you had asked me this question a month ago, I'd have said staying without hesitation. We have been at our gym since it opened, cp has never cheered anywhere else, but #3 has appeared recently and left me somewhat disenchanted. It seems we have coaches speaking negatively about kids at the gym to outsiders (not my kid, but tacky all the same). There is also talk of building a "stacked" lower level team (which may or may not involve my kid). We've had a very successful year, and it seems like it just might have inflated some egos. Anyway, I'm just not able to look on these coaches with the same respect I once had.

So, cp and I are both a little torn. Hate to leave behind those that have become like family over the past 5 years, but just don't feel all warm and fuzzy about my gym anymore. I also kind of feel like this might be a great opportunity to see what cp can accomplish under a different system. Cheer Athletics and SOT are both within an hour to an hour and a half drive...with SOT slightly closer with a less stressful drive. CP is 13, has her standing tuck and is working on perfecting her layout.

Spirit of Texasssssssss <3 ....... but I'm biased :)

Might change. Our gym is small and the highest level team they have is Sr 3. My cp is progressing well and working on getting her layout consistently. But to achieve tumbling success, I take her to a gymastics gym because the team tumbling is not consistent. She would love to go to worlds someday, but the cost is high. ECE is about 40 min away and it goes up from there. I have heard great things about Sparks, but think the drive would be over an hour and a half, and thats too far for a 12 yo. Love our coaches and it feels like family. Its also nice to be a big fish in a small pool. It could be hard for her to go from one of the main girls, to one of the crowd.

Only you and your daughter can answer this question. Now is a good time to check out both programs or others that might interest you both. Good luck!!

I just switched gyms last year and I'm happy at the gym I'm now at!:) But I left my old gym for reasons:

1. Tuition Cost
2. Lack of Progression
3. Staff Unprofessionalism
4. CP wants to cheer on Worlds Team
5. Professionally Trained Coaches
6. Location
7. Other-mean girls and coaches (just plain mean people)/lack of success (individually and as a team)

I pm'd you....

I am staying at Woodlands for sure<3. It's my home! I could never cheer anywhere else through highschool. When I say it's my home, IM SERIOUS, I spend as much time if not more there as i do at home:)

Might change. Our gym is small and the highest level team they have is Sr 3. My cp is progressing well and working on getting her layout consistently. But to achieve tumbling success, I take her to a gymastics gym because the team tumbling is not consistent. She would love to go to worlds someday, but the cost is high. ECE is about 40 min away and it goes up from there. I have heard great things about Sparks, but think the drive would be over an hour and a half, and thats too far for a 12 yo. Love our coaches and it feels like family. Its also nice to be a big fish in a small pool. It could be hard for her to go from one of the main girls, to one of the crowd.

Are you in Massachusetts? I grew up there, and if you don't mind me asking, what gym are you from?

im switching gyms, i didnt really like the last gym i was at, loved the owners but was not to happy at that gym, & disliked a lot of the athletes and how they treated others , my lil sister is switching gyms as well but we arent going to the same program!

We love the program my cp is in, and she can't imagine leaving. The only thing that may change our thought process is that my daughter's shown an interest in dance, and that's not an option where we currently are. There are gyms around here that offer both dance and cheer, but the cheer programs aren't quite as established. And I think when push comes to shove, cheer comes first - at least right now.

Back