All-Star Best Excuses To Miss Practice...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Here's one of my gripes....kids who take, "the summer off." Really?

Because summer is straight up, hard core conditioning, individual skills development and learning new stunts. Our J4 only does lv 4 stunting for about half the stunt time in practice, after that, it's all level five and yesterday they introduced two man stunting (which none of our kids have done before, we have a few that do true unassisted single based, but everyone else has only ever been in groups of four).

I'm no expert....but, it seems like you should BE there for that kind of thing. If you show back up at choreography is the team expected to wait while the coaches have to do remedial stunt training for you since everyone else learned it, practiced it and got it over the summer workouts you skipped?

This annoys me. :/
That is definitely my pet peeve too. You can't just take the summer off and then all of a sudden be in with all of us who worked hard all summer! It's so unfair.

One of the girls on my team goes and visits her dad for a month every summer half way across the country. It drives me insane. She got injured in may so shes out anyway until july so at least its not like shes missing anything right now.

That's not really something she can help though. Custody arrangements are tough, but something we all have to deal with.

I've got one out for the same thing this month. It's frustrating but we have to deal with at least one every year. At least it's just one this year.

My daughter more then likely will be "one of those" kids. She apparently has to go back to TN!

I had some court stuff to take care of last month and I somehow got to avoid it this summer!!! Haha I felt like I won the lottery.

Honestly, there was a few reasons I made Jaylen tryout for level 2 even though she felt she should of been on 3 this season and that was one of the few in my deciding factor. My daughter can do level 2 in her sleep and I didn't want her to have to go to her dads and get behind on level 3 because then she would be all stressed out. I felt my daughter has never flown level 3 they will learn all these level 3 stunts while she is gone and then be thrown into them and struggle with them. So just as much as it hurts the coaches and teammates to have to let them miss... It should hurt the parents and kids just as much. My daughter will probably have level 4 tumbling this season in fact very soon and if she has to go to her dads next summer heck I might even make her do level 2 again. Level 2 is so fun! Lol I know my daughter will stress herself out and it ain't worth it. That could be why my cp never misses a practice, I may be wrong but I can only think of one (out of town)in 3 years. We drove extra far last year and she was on 2 teams but I do believe we made all of them!

That's not really something she can help though. Custody arrangements are tough, but something we all have to deal with.

Too true, too true...my kids have to miss a lot in summer, due to the fact that I am morally and legally obligated to share them with their father, who also happens to adore them. They also have to miss some time to visit grandparents....I love them being with their family, and I can't honestly afford full time summer camps anyway. Though they don't "take the summer off" they come when they are here. I make everyone make their vacation plans around cheer during the rest of the year.

One of the girls on my team goes and visits her dad for a month every summer half way across the country. It drives me insane. She got injured in may so shes out anyway until july so at least its not like shes missing anything right now.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe she is doing cheer "stuff" at a gym near her Dad's home while she is away? If she isn't maybe your coach could suggest it? Yes, I know that doesn't help you to work your stunts but in light of the situation something is better than nothing!

I know that I try to ensure my CP at least gets a tumble class in at a gym when we go on vacation. In fact, this summer we are taking a very brief 5 day vacation (she will only miss 1 practice) and my CP is doing a 3 day tumble clinic while we are there. Plus its fun to check out what other gyms are like.

My sister spotted a girl on the team we coach for a backhandspring and literally did all of the work. Its one of those lets-do-this-for-fun you're-never-going-to-tumble-backhandsprings. And didn't show up the next day because she apparently pulled a muscle in her stomach.

We had someone say that she wasn't sure if she could come to our showcase because she was supposed to pick out her Christmas tree that day. She came to the showcase of course

A girl told me (30 min. before practise) she could not come because her parents bought a new bed for her and she needs to get it ready - she does not want to sleep on the floor. It was friday, and practise ends at 7 pm, this kid is at home at 7.15 ...

Another girl was missing the practise two days before competition. Her BFF (also on the team) told me she was sick. So i told the girls to warm up and drove the 5 minutes to her house to ask how sick she was. Her dad told me, she was at a party with her boyfriend. You kmow she didn't compete with us.

I don't think I have ever missed a practice... I get made fun of at my gym because typically I'm there much more than the coaches are... I'm kinda obsessed with practicing/tumbling :rolleyes:

Related but not...

One time, our whole rec team texted our coach saying silly things why we couldn't make it :p

I said "My walrus needs to be taught algebra"
Me friend said " I'm busy teaching my cat to do a standing full"
We all texted "JK" afterward to make sure she still showed up :D

How about this one I recently heard "When she said the gym was open over Christmas I didn't realize there were practices. I thought she meant you could come tumble if you were in town!" LMAO

Related but not...

One time, our whole rec team texted our coach saying silly things why we couldn't make it :p

I said "My walrus needs to be taught algebra"
Me friend said " I'm busy teaching my cat to do a standing full"
We all texted "JK" afterward to make sure she still showed up :D
My high school team did something similar! We all posted on our Facebook cheer group wall saying reasons we knew would make our coaches angry, such as our parents wanting us to stay home and study and such...needless to say our coach caught on and posted her own little joke on the wall saying nationals is cancelled. We never tried that one again.

My son came to practice hopped up on hydrocodone from being attacked by a doberman the night before. Nothing like 30 stitches to the face and his whole right side swollen shut. He came and sat to watch his team (clearly couldn't participate) and made half of them cry...his tumbling coach couldn't take it. Had to turn and walk off he couldn't hold it together that his "baby" got mauled.

he should've seen me in the ER.

That is true dedication to his team! Tough kid!

I was afraid we were going to be late (not miss), but we had to rescue a turtle in the pool. It was about time to leave, and I saw a turtle in the pool. I don't know where the turtle came from, but I was afraid the chlorine would kill it. That sucker swam fast so "rescuing" it was more difficult than you would think. We finally scooped it up in a laundry basket. I released it into a canal. Then a few days later, I heard about the neighbor's missing turtle. :confused: I like to think it is having a happier turtle life in the wild.
hahahahah funniest story

Back